#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Cleared the roof of the attached garage, front and back, and the front of the house so far today. Had some time to clean the snow from the "Tent" garage and the 5th wheel. Thought we could use the Jacobsen to blow the snow after we shoveled it from the roof but it was to warm, nearly 45* F, and it justed clogged the blower. I borrowed my friend (and neighbor) Kubota with a bucket to do the job. Not sure we are going to do the back of the house today. Kind of pooped right now. Our son said he would go up on the roof if we keep him supplied with water. Getting a little late in the day here to try to do the rest. I feel better now that the garage has the ice and snow off of it. Broke two sections of gutter and 4 gutter clips getting the ice off. I have extra gutter and clips so after the rain tomorrow, I will get up there and put it back up. Have a good day, stay warm, stay safe. Roger.
DSCF6934.JPG Before, DSCF6940.JPG DSCF6951.JPG during, DSCF6961.JPG In between,DSCF6955.JPG Still duringDSCF6951.JPG and after!DSCF6966.JPG One of the banks in the front of the house.DSCF6921.JPG
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Sparky and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Bet that eases the mind!

I tried Sunday to shovel...my roof is simply too steep.  I got one side of the garage done and nearly bit it...caught myself with the gutter after a loooong slide.  So, I went back to the roof rake yesterday, and wow...it is MUCH more difficult when that snow is wet.  Last week raking was a workout, but yesterday was plain frustrating, but we had gotten nearly another foot since I cleared it Sunday.  The 2 stage feels the wet heavy stuff, but flings it just the same...man, I love that blower.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Looks good!! That kubota sure looks like the ticket

• hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I pulled some snow off the roof today before the rain started. Hopefully it helped the melting. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Josh, ours is 4 /12 pitch so it isn't that bad. I sure wish the Kubota was mine but I am very lucky to have a friend who trusts me enought to borrow it for a short time.  Thanks. Roger.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Looks good!  Man you have some snow piled up!

• hamman, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Me and the daughter did my barn roof the other day, maybe 2' drift at the peak, the only way she would go up is if I let her jump down into the snow bank when we were done.  not to bad, took two hours to shovel and the jump into the snow bank was maybe 3 sec.  Seemed like a fair trade to me

• hamman, boyscout862, pigsitter and 1 other said thanks

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:57 AM

I cant hardly get on my roof any more in the summer let alone now... since I replaced the shingles with a metal roof... not saying that I wouldnt do it again but am saying that I'd do a few things different (was my 1st time playing with steel roofs)

I have been raking my roof when snow gets heavier than about 3-4",  for longer than I have had the steel roof.  My roof is only a 4/12 but I still slip and slide there. 

I gotta do something with my gutters though for sure. Rain leaks between them and the fascia.

( all new fascia but I reused the gutters)

This  winter has been the worst one in about 30 years and my gutters filled solid with snow/ice and froze. I was so happy to see that rain a few days ago because it thawed the gutters and cleaned them out  I was afraid theyd break off the house due to the weight.

There are 3 places that the ice heaped quite high in the gutters  I found myself "tomahawk-ing" with a shovel to try to break the mounds of ice, but that did nothing... I had thought of throwing a few handfuls of salt up there while it was still icy. but never did cuz I was afraid the salt would screw something up

• hamman said thank you

#9 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Be care full on those roofs . Had to shovel mine off last week too. it was a solid 12 inches or so. then blew into the pile so I got more seat time too.
  • hamman said thank you