#1 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 01:18 PM

We finally got some snow!! so just to try it out i took my blade off and decided i would try out the blower. It works OK. snow wasn't to wet or heavy but it plugs up quite a bit. kinda disappointed in its performance but it did do the job. I think what im going to do is maybe try to take a two stage blower and modify it to work on the bolens? When I have the time LOL. It's still snowing so I'm going to use it again when we get some built up but i think i will stick to the blade till I can figure something out.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Dan,

Are you sure that you ar turning for blower fast enough?

Brian

#3 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:04 PM

its going as fast as it will go??? I think

Dan,

Are you sure that you ar turning for blower fast enough?

Brian

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 03:10 PM

You wanna keep the it running with full engine speed and keep it fed. If you don't keep it fed enough it clogs the chute and if you feed it too much it bogs the tractor. There is a fine line there but when you get there they work great. Is your chute clean and smooth? You can try rubbing soap(same kind used for skis) or pam cooking spray. I don't think the cooking spray lasts very long though. If you have a bunch of rust on the inside of the chute you might was to sand it smooth for now at least.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:13 PM

:ditto: Georges reply

There is a fine line you have to walk with these single stage blowers.
If you use it enough you will begin to figure out your appropriate ground speed. Today we had about 4'' and I was able to use 1st and 2nd Gear Hi range for most of the driveway. The end of the road where the plow piles up the snow I had to use 2nd low range.

When I first started using these single stage blowers the chute clogged up constantly until I got the hang of it LOL

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:16 PM

The Hydrostatic Bolens are the best for snow casting because you can regulate your speed without stopping to change gears.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:36 PM

You wanna keep the it running with full engine speed and keep it fed. If you don't keep it fed enough it clogs the chute and if you feed it too much it bogs the tractor. There is a fine line there but when you get there they work great. Is your chute clean and smooth? You can try rubbing soap(same kind used for skis) or pam cooking spray. I don't think the cooking spray lasts very long though. If you have a bunch of rust on the inside of the chute you might was to sand it smooth for now at least.

:ditto:

#8 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 01:21 AM

Don't give up on it! I had a learning curve myself, never used or even been around a snowthrower til this season. What I've figured out so far is the cooking spray lasts 2-3 min. at best, a good thick slather of car wax (don't bother wiping it off when it dries the snow will do it for you) will give you probably 10-15 min. extra, a few days ago I gave it a coat of clear gloss out of a rattle can and that seemed to still be intact after 45+ min. this morning. Keeping it fed is key, My best results have been running at a speed that you notice the engine is under a good load but not bogging down. With the last snow, going through 20" drifts that ment 1st gear for me with my 10hp wisconsin (that I'm sure I havn't tuned the carb right on). Todays 6" I mostly did in 3-low and 4-high, close to the road I dropped to 2-low. Anytime you don't gave a full stream going out of the shute such as spinning the tires trying to go uphill into a drift, or to low of a gear, that's when the cloggs are gonna happen.
Hope this helps :thumbs: I know how frustrating it is when something don't do what you thing it should.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm gonna try the clear gloss.

Keep at it DGS345. Single stage seems to be almost an art. You'll get it.

#10 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will try the clear gloss also its a little rough inside the shoot. I did try the pan but the can was almost empty. but its off the tractor now so im going to turn the heat up in the shop sand the shoot a little and try the paint.

#11 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Forgot to add, it's also important that the blower is aclimated espesialy if it's kept in a heated space. I find it's true even with my shovel, if it's not at the same temp as outside the snow sticks worse.

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Forgot to add, it's also important that the blower is aclimated espesialy if it's kept in a heated space. I find it's true even with my shovel, if it's not at the same temp as outside the snow sticks worse.

:ditto:

I have a cold garage so I dont have any trouble, but if you have a warm garage and go out to snowblow you will get into trouble.

Best thing to do would be drive it outside and let everything cool to outside temperature

#13 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 04:36 PM

What I find works best is use the blower as a plow if you only have 2-3" of snow, and push it down the driveway until you have enough snow to engage the blower. As far as the hydro goes it is allot easer to control the speed, but if you use the clutch properly on a gear driven tractor it's not a problem.