Tri-Rib Tires

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 09:47 PM

We recently purchased a set of tri-rib tires for my case 220. Does anyone have any thoughts on how well these tires handle the snow?

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:22 AM

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 07:36 AM

probaly good i got em on my soeedex steer great but in like mud they pack up and dont do better than regular ones probaly pretty good in snow

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Great, and if a blade or blower where hanging on the front, it would be even

better, I'm sure.

#5 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Tri-ribs are really great, they are designed to stop "side-slip", to steer and turn better by really gripping the soil or snow to control turning, or not turning.  The ribs act like a plow to dig in and grip and allow you to steer straight or to control and maintain the angle you want to turn.

But, you need weight  to keep the front end down for these tires to grip, best to fill the tires (Rim-Guard is the very best, or any safe liquid) and/or have steel wheel weights on them, keep the weight low, add at least 20-30# per tire and inflate your Tri-ribs to 20PSI so the tires are very firm and not flimsy.  You really do need this added weight to have the tires work like they should.  The front of our tractors are actually very light, it's easy for us to lift the entire front axle up off the ground by hand, and with us on the seat, it's even lighter;  in driving, being light equals to a loss of traction and steering control, especially if there is any bouncing. With a snow plow up, we have the weight, but with the plow down, we're even lighter in front.  Any weight behind the rear axle will also lighten the front a little, like a pivot;  for the rear tires, best to have weight in or on the tires, and for snow, 100#/tire & 20PSI will do you real good (Ag tires or turfs/chains give great traction)..

You'll be very happy with the extra steering control you'll be getting (with the extra weight).

Tri-ribs with 22# (2 gal) Rim-Guard each, plus  20# lead-bar hanging in the center.

Edited by GlenPettit, February 19, 2014 - 05:59 PM.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#6 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 03:32 PM

I've got tri's on my cc129 and have no weight and only the recommended Psion and have no problems with them. i also just bought a set for my wheel horse and have yet to put them on but hope for the same results. i also get 4-6 ply tires so maybe i get good results from that

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Have a set on my sons tractor and boy do they make a difference. Snow, dirt, grass. No or almost no side slip.

#8 zippy1 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 601 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Have them on the dual stick. They work great cutting grass and also perform well with the push blade.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03158.JPG