#31 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Nice videos but I have a suggestion, if your going to run these engines without a radiator, supply a little water to the water pump so you don't burn the pump seal up. Some of those seals only take a few seconds running dry before they are damaged. 

Another thing to look for when purchasing an engine for your project is to make sure it has a water pump. Some of the Kubota engines use thermal siphon to circulate the water and will require a larger radiator or the addition of an electric pump. 

The z482 Kubota and 2TNE series Yanmars are excellent engines but I personally feel they are too small for your application. The Kubota Z600 or Z620 would be a better choice. Still two cylinders but with a good bit more horse power. 

Lengthening the frame for the engine you have may not be as daunting a project as it first appears. The hood is usually the thing that requires the most attention.

Good luck with your project. I will be fun to see what you decide to do.

#32 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Thanks Cvans

This engine does have a water pump, and it was full of water/mix.  The PO took the pulley and fan off of it for transportation.  Im looking for a radiator for the engine which hopefully will fit inside the 400.  Im also looking at a bell housing for the L3E from a yamnar 19hp. 

I DID get sidetracked today, couldnt find the model number, but will be a great attachment!

IMG_5099-L.jpg

IMG_5100-L.jpg

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Nice find. I've never tried but understand those things can move quite a bit of snow also.

#34 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Nice find. I've never tried but understand those things can move quite a bit of snow also.

and grass!

#35 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Thanks Cvans

This engine does have a water pump, and it was full of water/mix.  The PO took the pulley and fan off of it for transportation.  Im looking for a radiator for the engine which hopefully will fit inside the 400.  Im also looking at a bell housing for the L3E from a yamnar 19hp. 

I DID get sidetracked today, couldnt find the model number, but will be a great attachment!

IMG_5099-L.jpg

IMG_5100-L.jpg

So, YOU'RE the one who bought that!!!  It's a great price...

I wish I could get hold of the F2200 Kubota in his backyard.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a bellhousing for your engine... mount it at the sides, and just put a sheet metal guard over the flywheel.  We do need to figure out how to build an adapter so you can mount a stub shaft of the flywheel for your PTO...

Smitty

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:17 PM

None of the diesel installs that I have done have required a bellhousing. All were mounted using the threaded holes in the side of the block. 

Here is one that was just mounted in a golf cart with a photo of the tapered stub shaft adapter attached to the flywheel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0548.JPG
  • IMG_0551.JPG
  • IMG_0550.JPG

• twostep said thank you

#37 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Thanks guys,

Theres two stub shafts that will mount to the flywheel on ebay right now.  I have asked for specs on both, one apears to be longer  than the other.  One came from a yamnat 18hp and the other from a 430.

Hopefully, one of these will be the key :worshippy1:

#38 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thanks guys,

Theres two stub shafts that will mount to the flywheel on ebay right now.  I have asked for specs on both, one apears to be longer  than the other.  One came from a yamnat 18hp and the other from a 430.

Hopefully, one of these will be the key :worshippy1:

I don't remember if the JD400 has a front PTO shaft like the JD430, but if it does, that would be the one I'd go after.  There's also a company that makes adapters for the various diesel engine flywheels... can't think of the name right now,--darn CRS!! but I have it in my Bookmarks somewhere--I'll send it to you when I find it...

Smitty

#39 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 02:41 PM

I don't remember if the JD400 has a front PTO shaft like the JD430, but if it does, that would be the one I'd go after.  There's also a company that makes adapters for the various diesel engine flywheels... can't think of the name right now,--darn CRS!! but I have it in my Bookmarks somewhere--I'll send it to you when I find it...

Smitty

I believe the front PTO was a 1" keyed shaft.  Looking at the L3E, the flywheel has two options we can go with, one with four, tight encloused bolts, or the 5 1/8" dia spot for a three bolt stub.  I was looking at the one on ebay, its a four bolt, but I could drill out the three holes needed and make it work.

#40 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 03:02 PM

I believe the front PTO was a 1" keyed shaft.  Looking at the L3E, the flywheel has two options we can go with, one with four, tight encloused bolts, or the 5 1/8" dia spot for a three bolt stub.  I was looking at the one on ebay, its a four bolt, but I could drill out the three holes needed and make it work.

I found the website that makes stub shaft adapters for engines, SAE Bellhousing adapters, etc.  It's Hayes Couplings:

http://www.hayescoup...s.com/index.php

You might take a look at them. They may have something pre-made.

Or, you might find double sheave fan pulley or a crank pulley at a wrecking yard you could put on your flywheel-- you definitely want two sheaves...

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 28, 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#41 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ha, funny thing I was on their website just now and found a decent one, stub shaft.

http://www.hayescoup...sae_stub_shafts

But I will have to look more into the flywheel options

#42 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Ha, funny thing I was on their website just now and found a decent one, stub shaft.

http://www.hayescoup...sae_stub_shafts

But I will have to look more into the flywheel options

Hey, great minds thinggg alike!!!!  :thumbs:

Smitty

#43 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:01 PM

Heres a thought UTSmitty, could I use a heater core for the radiator and install a flush kit to fill the lines?  Just thinking out loud on the sizing and space issue I will be running into.

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Heres a thought UTSmitty, could I use a heater core for the radiator and install a flush kit to fill the lines?  Just thinking out loud on the sizing and space issue I will be running into.

I don't think a heater core would provide enough cooling for you!

#45 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:47 PM

So what is the rule for proper cooling of an engine?  Im learning as I go with diesel engines of this size.  Im use to dealing with white superior and KATO engines at work.

I did find one online that has the specs below.  Its tough though to buy one and not know for sure if it will fit inside the 400 frame before the engine is placed.

Size (approximately): 12.5” long, 12” tall, 1.5” thick

7.5” between pins

7/8” Inlet/Outlet diameter

Edited by Pager450n, March 28, 2014 - 04:49 PM.

• corbin48 said thank you