122 replies to this topic

#1 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 04:32 PM

So, after rebuilding the k532 in the JD i have, I came across my kubota.  NOW, I love rolling coal, and hearing that diesel engine running.  I am now looking into opinions or options about putting a diesel engine in.  I have seen it done before on a 420, 140, heck any tractor.  

Just need your opinions on where to look, what to look for and about what size. UT Smitty got me thinking even harder now that someone local is doing it :D

Currently I browse local lisiting, have called several LTL companies with refer trailers and some small engine repairs.

Here is the 400

IMG_3162-M.jpg

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 04:35 PM

I forgot to mention I do have a jacobsen parked in my garage with a 28 hp kubota..... Maybe too big???

• Trav1s said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 05:25 PM

This should be interesting,..

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:39 PM

There is a member on WFM that repowered his 420 with a 28 HP EFI v-twin.  I think the 28 horse Kubota would be sweet.

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hopefully I can help. Now im not familiar with Deere's and cant remember what model it was?? that had the yanmar motor in them. Now the bigger the horsepower you make the bigger the block. I think what you may have is a 26hp D1105 Kubota. Might want to see if there's any markings on the injection pump to correct me. Now its a pretty good size motor and its the same one that's in my puller. It should weight right around 300-350lbs and how plenty of power. But you might be able to get away with anything from an 18hp- 24hp but that 26 may be good as well. Im assuming the rear will hold up with all that torque seeing you wont be pulling a 12000lbs sled behind you lol. I love the Kubota motors and they have never left me down and are very tough and will last a lifetime. Now with the diesels because they spin counter clockwise, they are usually hooked up to the drive shaft by the front crank shaft pulley. The cub cadet super cubs were put in back wards to run like that and have the radiator mounted underneath the dash.

• trowel said thank you

#6 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hopefully I can help. Now im not familiar with Deere's and cant remember what model it was?? that had the yanmar motor in them. Now the bigger the horsepower you make the bigger the block. I think what you may have is a 26hp D1105 Kubota. Might want to see if there's any markings on the injection pump to correct me. Now its a pretty good size motor and its the same one that's in my puller. It should weight right around 300-350lbs and how plenty of power. But you might be able to get away with anything from an 18hp- 24hp but that 26 may be good as well. Im assuming the rear will hold up with all that torque seeing you wont be pulling a 12000lbs sled behind you lol. I love the Kubota motors and they have never left me down and are very tough and will last a lifetime. Now with the diesels because they spin counter clockwise, they are usually hooked up to the drive shaft by the front crank shaft pulley. The cub cadet super cubs were put in back wards to run like that and have the radiator mounted underneath the dash.

This is the mower I have had for some time with the kubota in it.  If I were to part it out and get it into the JD , I wouldnt be out much.  I bought it for much less than what the engine alone is worth

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fTluTzuo_r4

I will check on the injector to see if there are any markings,  Its a VERY clean engine for a 1995 year.  Burns nice a clean and would be a blast in the 400.  Only downside is tearing apart a perfectly good machine, would much rather find a machine like a mini ex, or refer unit, something that has met its maker, and the engine is still good.

Its a heck of a unit, been trying to sell it for a while now, but only have had scammers interested.  So, if its not out by april/may, its going on the butcher block.

Edited by Pager450n, February 19, 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 12:26 PM

I saw a quick glimpse of the casting on the side of the block. Its a Kubota D1105 which is the same motor I have. Its a 1.1litre 26hp at either 3000rpm or 3600 rpm. Its an absolute brute! Would love to have another motor like that if I could find one. Hopefully it sells closer to spring :thumbs:  

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:11 AM

This is the mower I have had for some time with the kubota in it.  If I were to part it out and get it into the JD , I wouldnt be out much.  I bought it for much less than what the engine alone is worth

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fTluTzuo_r4

I will check on the injector to see if there are any markings,  Its a VERY clean engine for a 1995 year.  Burns nice a clean and would be a blast in the 400.  Only downside is tearing apart a perfectly good machine, would much rather find a machine like a mini ex, or refer unit, something that has met its maker, and the engine is still good.

Its a heck of a unit, been trying to sell it for a while now, but only have had scammers interested.  So, if its not out by april/may, its going on the butcher block.

So, YOU'RE the one with the Turfcat on KSL!! 

From my own research I can tell you that you will have to stretch the frame to get that engine in as it's bigger than the 3TN series John Deere put in the 400 series GTs.

I have a novel suggestion.... if you're up for some adventure...

Figure out how to turn the operator's platform around and operate it in what is now Reverse.  I was going to do it with a Toro 223D that I thought was 4 wd.

You have power steering--no mechanical linkage on that machine--just rerouting of hydraulic lines.  You already have the hydraulics for a 3 point hitch.  The controls will have to be set up on other side....

Yeah, I know, it's late at night and I may not be thinking straight... been dealing with a sinus infection the last couple days...

Anyway... I think it will sell this spring when the grass starts growing and people need something more than a push mower....

Smitty

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:14 AM

Ryan

I'd look for a Z482 Kubota or a 2 cylinder Yanmar 2TN70 or Lombardini, etc. An air-cooled engine will go in a lot easier than water cooled, but with a two cylinder, you'll have the room to get it all sandwiched in there.  On the 430, even though it has the same WB as the 420, the tractor is a few inches longer--probably to account for the radiator, etc. on the diesel.

Regards,

Smitty

#10 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Smtty,
I thought about switching it around, and running it that way, but I figure it's all or not. I found a snow blower, roughly 5" that if it doesn't sell this spring, will be retrofit to fit the turf.

O k, ok, too much talk about that machine, I'm with ya on a smaller engine. I would love to use it, but realistically, I need to get a smaller 18-24 hp two cylinder, mayber a smaller 3 cylinder. Where a bouts did you find yours? Ksl has been dry for small engines for awhile.
I have had a cough now for almost five weeks, the mrs wounders what I am thinking?.. But once our dark dirt starts appearing from the snow, it's time to think about the 400.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I bought my Mitsubishi L3E through Craig's List from a guy up in Washington State.  Paid $500 for the engine, fan, radiator, starter, alternator, etc.  Another $225 got it shipped by a one-horse freight company out of Twin Falls.

They used the Z482 in a lot of reefer units.  They have a 6 qt oil pan (quite large) but a smaller one can be added.  They're nominally 10 hp, but I've seen some rated close to 14 hp. There's also a guy down in Beaver, UT that sells rebuilt engines though they're pricey.

BTW, for some odd reason, Kubota uses the first letter of the German words for one (Eins), two (Zwei), three (Drei), four (Vier) and six (Sechs) and eight (Acht) to denote the number of cylinders in their engine model numbers.  A Z482 is a two cylinder, a D1005 is a three cylinder, etc. The numbers give the approximate displacement in cc's.

I think all the Yanmar 3TNs are similar block size.  The 330 uses a 3TN66UJ, the 430 uses a 3TNA77UJ. Keep your eyes peeled for one of these.  There's also a seller on eBay out of Tennessee that has a lot of different small diesels available.  They typically go for $800+ but his freight is real reasonable.

BTW, if you run across 2 Z482s or similar twin engine diesels, I'm thinking serioiusly of repowering my Case 444 with one.

Smitty

• Trav1s said thank you

#12 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Diesel,

Is there a difference within the d1105 series? I snapped a shot, and the block is a 1105, but a 1105-e.

Again, if love to tear it out and put it into the 400, but can't put a good machine down.

So, I'm looking for a engine, wish me luck.

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:37 AM

Here's a spec sheet on the Mitsubishi L3 series, which is the engine I just bought for my HT23 and some other diesel engines that may work for you. ... I also attached the list of which engine goes in which Kubota tractor in a pdf, and also a list in an Excel file. Your B8200 has a D950 engine for example

Smitty

I also have a parts list and service manual on pdf for the D950--let me know if you want them...

Attached File  Mitsubishi L-Series Engine Brochure.pdf   143.23KB   56 downloadsAttached File  Mitsubishi_l3e_spec_sheet.pdf   56.55KB   72 downloads

Attached File  Yanmar 2TNV70-ASA Specs.pdf   601.77KB   50 downloadsAttached File  YANMAR 3tnv70-gge SPECS.pdf   82.61KB   43 downloads

Attached File  YANMAR 2tnv70-hge SPECS.pdf   73.45KB   49 downloads

Attached File  Kubota Engines & Tractors.xlsx   16.46KB   89 downloads

Attached Files

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Might need to put those in the Misc. Engine Manuals for posterity.

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 09:41 AM

Might need to put those in the Misc. Engine Manuals for posterity.

Will do. I have a bunch of service manuals and literature for other engines as well.

Smitty
  • KennyP said thank you