#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but...... Alan was right :wallbanging:  :poke:  :D  when he told me in an older thread I needed and would love tire chains for plowing my gravel drive.

I found a set in my dad's barn when I cleaned out this fall, they have probably been hanging there since he bought the HB212 in 1971. I brought them home and decided to see if they would fit my Sears. They were just a little long ( my Deestones are smaller diamater than a true 23" tire) but I was able to get then somewhat tight. I had to tighten a couple times during use as they wanted to slip sideways, but the last tightening seemed to do the trick.

Man, what a difference on the gravel drive. I never got stuck this go around ( we got 4-5") and I could back up the drive with out spinning...wonderful! I don't like the thump, thump, thump on the concrete drives, but I can live with it.

Ok, so you have to read this in a Jeff Foxworthy voice.....

" If you ever used electrical wire as chain tensioners on you garden tractor,  yyyooouuuu might be a redneck" :D  

CAM00099_zps23584a02.jpg

CAM00100_zpse5deb552.jpg

Here is mom's drive plowed. I sure am glad for this warm up this week, I have no where left to put this stuff. Gonna have a lot of gravel clean up come spring though. Could've pushed higher if not for the back blade stopping me.

CAM00084_zps1e19aca8.jpg

CAM00085_zps2a1e0ce6.jpg

CAM00088_zps1d77b2f2.jpg

This hill is a solid sheet of ice today. Thawed some yesterday with rain up till dark, then refroze. Backing down this morning, Tahoe did 180* spin, I just put in drive and pulled out :wallbanging:

You are turning while going down the hill, one you break over the top of hill, you are already in a turn, just hold on!

CAM00086_zps20dabbd2.jpg

The neighbor's drive, probably 200-250', looks shorter in pic. Two little old ladies live back there have a little 1 bedroom house behind that garage on a hill, their nephew owns it and doesn't plow so I try to keep it clean so they can at least get in and out. It was rough plowng Saturday as there was deep frozen ruts from the previous snow I didn't get plowed.

CAM00092_zpsb93954b4.jpg

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 10:07 AM

Glad the chains are working for you! Get some bungee's for them.

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 10:42 AM

Looks Good !!  Now a bit of caution, Picture #2 demonstrates the scenario for a classic High Center. Hanging the front blade on top of the pile and wedgeing the rear wheels off the ground with the rear blade.

DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW! :smilewink:

• Gtractor and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Your driveway looks adventurous when icy, that's for sure.  You are a very nice neighbor to plow out the old gals next door.   :thumbs:  :good_job:  

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:30 AM

You did a nice job there.  :thumbs:  Those adjusters work.   Anything to keep them from pulling against themselves, I guess.

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I've got a 300ft gravel driveway with a hill and I have found that chains are a bigger help than a dif lock or even 4wd. Add some weight on the rear wheels and it's amazing how much you can push with a small GT

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Glad it wasn't bad advice. The traction increase is amazing, isn't it?

Nice pics. Really happy the 16 is earning her keep.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:25 PM

2 link chains are a far smoother ride than 4 link chains so if you happen across a set, grab em. I think you'll be happy you did.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:31 PM

2 link chains are a far smoother ride than 4 link chains so if you happen across a set, grab em. I think you'll be happy you did.

Yep, absolutely. I just watch for extra chains and then I can tear them apart if I ever need to. You could take two sets and make one two link set.

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Great to see another Sears getting the job done! I put 23 8.50 12 ags from my Suburban 12 with shortened 23 10.50 12 tire chains on my SS/18. The narrower tires work better with the plow and the sears snow blower. I guess my snow blowers were meant for the earlier Suburbans with the narrow tires. I have absolutely no complaints!
  • TAHOE said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:12 PM

Glad the chains are working for you! Get some bungee's for them.

But look how fashionable my blue wire is :smilewink:

Looks Good !!  Now a bit of caution, Picture #2 demonstrates the scenario for a classic High Center. Hanging the front blade on top of the pile and wedgeing the rear wheels off the ground with the rear blade.

DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW! :smilewink:

Yeah, I thought about that, but I think I go slow enough I don't ramp up on it and the blade makes me lose traction before I get too high.

I've got a 300ft gravel driveway with a hill and I have found that chains are a bigger help than a dif lock or even 4wd. Add some weight on the rear wheels and it's amazing how much you can push with a small GT

I have loaded ags and 33# wheel weights. Want to load down back blade, but then I couldn't lift it with the manual arm, that would necessitate and electric lift.

Glad it wasn't bad advice. The traction increase is amazing, isn't it?

Nice pics. Really happy the 16 is earning her keep.

Yep, she is a good worker. She gives me a hiccup every know and then like the ignition last week, but she keeps on ticking.

Yea, I have 2 link for my little craftsman, but don't use the blower on it anymore so they just hang. I could cannabalize them, but cross links maybe too short. If I ever come across some extras I will surely grab them.

Now.....I need front traction, turn wheels on snow or ice and I just keep going straight. Found a local guy selling 3 Ribs, need to pick me up a set.

#12 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Now.....I need front traction, turn wheels on snow or ice and I just keep going straight. Found a local guy selling 3 Ribs, need to pick me up a set.

You could do what my brother did. He had the same issue and he found a cheap set of snowblower chains to use on the front tires of his Allis Chalmers.

#13 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Front tire chains work well, the P.O. of my Sears had a set that came with when I bought it. One of them broke a cross chain though and I haven't repaired it yet but I need to get to that, I miss having them on there.

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Looks good Marty & thanks for taking care of the little ole ladies. We're having a major melt down as well....water & ice everywhere.