• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:21 PM

You already have the pipe still attached to the block, just unscrew the old section and put one of these on it to keep it original

To me stacks are ugly looking and there's no need for them on these tractors. There was also a hush tone muffler kit like mentioned in the above posts but these are really not that loud.

92fc9b6a.jpg

8ygewy.jpg

Attachments on these tractors can be installed in a couple minutes with practice.

#17 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:51 PM

it's allright in blue but the oem color would look better, what i see now is that the H16 is the same basic tractor with a bigger engine because i thought these where large frames so that's what i get for thinking. when replacing the starter you will have to remove the fuel tank mount to access the upper starter mount bolts , while you are at that point you might want to go ahead and pull the rocker cover and check the clearance between the rocker and the valves stem as these engines used the exhaust valve for a decompression  so if the exh valve is out of tolerance it will be harder to crank and start . you can get rebuild kits for the starter so don't junk it have a local electric motor shop check the windings ,if they are good then get the rebuild kit (basically all it is is the brush plate)and rebuild it and put it on the shelf cause as long as these engines last you may need another starter down the road. good luck and welcome to GTTalk :thumbs:

• LPBolens, Newpaws493 and Rainier have said thanks

#18 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 12:11 PM

Ok guys I have found a tiller for it but I have not seen it yet. By the pics I think this is the smaller of the two that were made for this. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it. From the picture it looks like it might be missing the drag plate on the back. What do you all think?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Ok guys I have found a tiller for it but I have not seen it yet. By the pics I think this is the smaller of the two that were made for this. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it. From the picture it looks like it might be missing the drag plate on the back. What do you all think?

Yeah it looks like the 25'' model, its still the heavy duty type though.

• Rainier said thank you

#20 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 12:17 PM

When I got my 1556,, this last fall, It came with the stack...It looks kinda kool  but I will not be leaveing it on for very long.. It doesn't look very well supported,,,It is quite loud,,and is close to your'e head ( maybe 2-3 feet )---  FUMES.. When I will be mowing on uneven terrain and around trees,,, I think it will not be practical..I'm already looking for an alternate..  I like the idea of them going out the front,and keeping my eye on a motorcycle exhaust of some sort..

#21 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the starter info. Since I have never seen the starter I did see the upper hole for the starter. I hope the starter has the mount on it, it looks like the holes are 1/4 20. The starter will be here either today or tomorrow . I will keep everyone informed.
Also I did find a sticker that says its a 01. From what I have read the 01 model should have a metal tank, this one has a plastic tank. Do you think it has been changed or maybe it is a early 01

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the starter info. Since I have never seen the starter I did see the upper hole for the starter. I hope the starter has the mount on it, it looks like the holes are 1/4 20. The starter will be here either today or tomorrow . I will keep everyone informed.
Also I did find a sticker that says its a 01. From what I have read the 01 model should have a metal tank, this one has a plastic tank. Do you think it has been changed or maybe it is a early 01

Yes, most likely the tank was changed at some point. I believe the Metal tanks officially were classified NLA in 1973 and the plastic tanks were marked as replacements for all models.

• Rainier said thank you

#23 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:30 PM

Fortunately, that one has the "square" top on it. As noted, that is the heavier duty model. And you can get extensions for that that will increase the tilling width. if you are in the right place at the right time. The extensions used to be easier to find than they are now. Unless you are trying to match the vintage of the tiller to that of an early tube frame for show purposes, you may not really want one of the "round" top, lighter duty versions of a tube frame tiller.

• Rainier said thank you

#24 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Ok guys I got my starter, But as I was told the exhaust valve is for decompression when starting. Does anyone know what the valves are suppose to be set at? It is turning over real hard

#25 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Never mind I found the info, But mostly a false alarm , even with jumper cables it was having a problem. I think that right now it is a power problem. Tomorrow is an other day.
Also I picked up a tiller , it is the big one, but it is missing the back plate that smooths out the dirt . Looks to be in good shape. I see one side is leaking a little oil. Still has the model # on it. And the tines look good. I'll post some pics tomorrow .
Thank to everyone for the help. Up here in NW Washington there is not many of these tractors .
This guy also had a large frame but it was ruff, and it had a Johnson work horse front loader. It was ruff as we'll , rams had a lot of rust.
What do you think the loader is worth. He was asking 800.00. That seems a little hi, especially with all the work it will take to repair the rams. Also would that fit a tube frame?