Ever since we got our big storms in December I wanted to get a 3ph built for my Bolens HT23. I have a large heavy scaper that was mounted on the recently departed JD420. I'd scrape out driveways with the JD, then scoop up the snow and put it on the parking strip with the Bolens. Since the JD is gone, I needed to mount the scraper on the Bolens, but it doesn't have a 3 point hitch.
I tried mounting the 3ph form my 1886, but the fixed vertical lift links hit the frame.
So, I got the drawings for the 18086 hitch and started building it in January. It's been a typical project--long periods where you can't work on it, interspersed by a day here and there of frantic activity.
The major problem right now, which has me totally stumped, is how to connect the tractor end of the lift arms. The Brantly FEL uses the lower, larger pin holes as an anchor for the back of the loader frame.
There's still enough room on the side for the thin, Bolens-specific mount used on the tiller. The problem came up when I built a set of CAT 0 lift arms using weld-on ball sockets I got from Belarus.com.
With the rear of the loader frame forked over the lower pin, there's not enough clearance to pin the ball socket in the upper hole.
I went back to the drawing board and found some 5/8" Heim joints female threads online. I screwed a 5/8" NF Gr 8 bolt into them and cut the head off. I then cut the ball socket off one end of each lift arm and notched it so the Heim Joint would fit.
The body of the Heim joint is smaller in diameter so it allows the lift arm to be pinned in. HOWEVER, now the problem is the loader frame on the lower pin won't let the arms drop below about 8" above groiund. PLUS, the lift arm tends to catch against the loader frame when it swings from side to side--I'm afraid it will break off one of the tabs on the axle.
I tried notching the lower part of the lift arms but it didn't do any good--if I take more off I'm afraid I'll weaken the arm too much and it will break.
So, the options I see at this point are:
1. Mount the lift arms to the inside of the tabs like the 18010 hitch on the 1886. This will put the lift arms in line with the frame and will limit their upward travel. A fairly sharp dogleg in the lift arm to clear the frame may work, but I'm not sure.
2. Build a bracket that is pinned through both upper and lower holes on each side of the axle, and extends slightly to the rear. Put holes in the bracket that are parallel to the axle and mount a shortened lift arm there.
3. Cut off the end of the loader frame and weld a dog leg onto each end that will engage a longer pin or bolt and nut on the outside of the lower hole.
4. Run in circles crying uncontrollably (don't think this will solve anything, but I'm tempted nonetheless).
It seems I'm always asking for help, but once again, I seek your suggestions and/or potential consequences to any of the above options.