4 replies to this topic

#1 planzman OFFLINE  

planzman
  • Member No: 53661
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Right now I can walk pretty well.........but who knows..about the future
..is it posible to use a custom made surry..with a sleve hitch that works like the ones on 4 wheel garden tractors, so you could lift the implement as needed an just ride along doing cultivating, plowing etc?
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Well anything is possible to build, but on a DB you have to be careful what  you hook it on to. The rear eye is very weak and breaks off pretty easy, so you wont want to hook into it, without using the factory hitch.

The biggest trouble when trying to pull a ride on attachment with a 2 wheeled tractor, is down force of the handle bars. Most tractors that do this are using some type of a tool bar with gauge wheels and the attachment is mount to that. This keeps you getting your arms pulled out of their sockets.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:29 AM

I understand the concern about mobility. I was hurt in the Army in the 70s. Spent a bunch of time in a wheelchair. Built my house wheelchair accessible just incase I end up in one again. If the legs get weak, forget a 2 wheeler. Stick with a 4 wheeled tractor that has a standard clutch/brake pedal and an added on lever at the dash to control it. Be careful. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 18, 2014 - 06:30 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I can understand that, as Lauber1 stated the downward pull on the handle bars are tough and the eye on the chain case can snap off very easy, two wheelers can be difficult to manage sometimes such as pulling the plow out of the furrow and walking around the garden plot or cultivating with the tines at your feet.

I am very hesitant to modify any original DB attachments, for my big 5 i custom made attachments or modified newer attachment to serve a purpose needed, have seen some attachments such as for Bolens Husky that a lifting wheel on a handle was modified onto the plow beam so the father could use it at plow shows, could be removed if needed without any modifications to the plow at all.

I generally do not use my DBs for general work except for special occasion, generally for static displays, parts getting so if something breaks it can be very hard to find and/or would have to be fabricated.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions and can be done but it might be easier just to get a good old rider as boyscout862 stated with a lever for the clutch/break if needed and save your legs/feet.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:07 PM

This is why the DB gods built the Suburban, so you can ride and do the same work. The 3pt hitch on them is the slickest item ever came up with, and you can build any number of attachments to it that suit the need of the day, with out harming the tractors value at all. For most of the yrs built, Sears attachments fit all the suburban's. So you basically got 20yrs of machines with 30+ some attachments, that work and play well together.

• trowel said thank you