#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:13 PM

My grandfather's 2005 Simplicity Regent took a dump on him last year when the axle in the transmission snapped and he got that fixed and now the whole transmission has seemed to do the same. He's looking into getting a new garden tractor and says about another Simplicity but I told him that all the new tractors are crap except for some of the larger ones and the compacts. Here are the current details:

He has over 1 acre to mow and he has hills and obstacles to mow around

His yard is uneven terrain so it has to have decent ground clearance

He wants to keep it to a small deck like 42" at the max so he can easily mow around the trees and buildings etc

His wife wants to get a front mount snow blower as well for whatever it is

His budget is probably around 2k

Which brings us to the question anyone know any good deals around South Central PA or what manufacture he should get from( like a used brand)??? Thanks

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hmmm! How old this guy?  I would think one of new kind with "step-through" design to get on/off easy, power steering, foot control hydro and lifts is the way to go for older gent. I'm not yet 60, but feeling harder to get on some of older rigs for me now. 2 Grand don't by much in new nowdays. I think the Simplicity's are good machine, but would get more expensive one.  Massey Furgeson's are made by them and have good back-up too. As always a Deere of right model, but again 5 to 6000 to get real durable one. Older ones, a nice Wheelhorse H 520 or that 414 similar model were nice and easy to drive/work on. Lots of attachments available used. Not much for dealers cept Toro now for those, and they are getting away from that brand and style. The Big sears aren't that bad, just get biggest you can afford. Parts access and attachments are easy for those.

What about Zero turns that most are buying now days. Can he handle one of those?  Would take some re-training I"m sure, but is quicker, easier to get on/off and manuever.  Would think a seperate blower would be needed then, not sure what you can get for zero turn if anything in a blower. Have seen some with blades, but know nothing on use of one. Would think NOT!

Edited by glgrumpy, February 17, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hmmm! How old this guy?

He's 77. He gets around good for his age but I'm sure he would like power steering and electric/hydraulic lift and he seems to like hydrostatics.

Edited by Tommy Williamson, February 17, 2014 - 05:51 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Can you locate a replacement rear end?

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:30 PM

Can you locate a replacement rear end?

The rear ends sell for around $800 and he doesn't want to put that much into it.

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Tommy,
I guess the big issue is the funding. We all have wish lists and I know mine at least aren't very realistic. If the best on the market, I would look at the names GL put down or a few others. However, the price tags on those are a lot higher.

My parents have a hydro craftsman with the step thru, the steering bushings are wearing after 4 years of mowing about 2.5 acres, but still available and cheap. The deck is bigger than you're mentioning, but the machine is nimble and easy to control so a bigger deck isn't to bad. The machine is closer to the budget and the blowers are sometimes around used, sometimes on sale new.

#7 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:39 PM

The deck is bigger than you're mentioning, but the machine is nimble and easy to control so a bigger deck isn't to bad. The machine is closer to the budget and the blowers are sometimes around used, sometimes on sale new.

I assume that the only reason that he wants a small deck is that way he doesn't have to go inside and get chewed out by my grandmother if he did something wrong. :bigrofl:

• Alc said thank you

#8 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Tommy,
I guess the big issue is the funding. We all have wish lists and I know mine at least aren't very realistic. If the best on the market, I would look at the names GL put down or a few others. However, the price tags on those are a lot higher.

He might be able to go $2500

#9 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have an acre of yard and I use a Zero Turn Cub Cadet with the steering wheel. For my yard it is the berries and eliminates a lot of trimming. It took a short time to get used to mowing close around trees and shrubs  but handles easy and is easy for me to get on and off of. As a matter of fact My wife has a hard time walking and little use of her right arm and leg and she mows with it sometimes. My wife and I are soon to be 65. her first ( I married and older woman) :D

Edited by Traill95, February 17, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• Alc and Canawler have said thanks

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Well heres the thing tommy. If he ha a lot of stuff to mow around a zero turn would be great. Not all have 60 inch decks some even have 42inch. But my concern is the the hillsides. are they fairly steep? If so I would look for something a little heavier to keep from spinning or sliding. It would be easier to use but im not sure if a snow blower would fit lol.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:12 PM

but im not sure if a snow blower would fit lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• images.jpg

Edited by trowel, February 17, 2014 - 09:13 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#12 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:58 PM

look into like a jd 430 or 318 older hrdro drive power sterring

• A.C.T. said thank you

#13 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your gramps tractor problems. And in todays market for a "decent" tractor with power steering $2 G's don't get much.

I'm in a chair (paralized) and have limited use of my right hand, and I use a variety of tractors pending on the day. If I'm home alone I use my little cub cadet 1330 LT. And if the wife is around to boost me up on the seat I use either the dual stick 1650 which has the hydraulic lift or the 782 with hydraulic lift.

The 1650 I use tri ribs on the front to reduce the steering, and they make a big difference, and that's a heavy tractor. Point I'm making is he and you may be better off finding a used tractor with the push blade or snow thrower and pocket some of the two G's and have a reliable good used tractor.

It's not like he is that old, unless he's crippled up in some way or another and needs a walk through and power steering.

I didn't spend two grand on both the 1650 and 782 combined. Granted you may need to do some repair at first, or find one that has been gone through already. There's guy out there that have had a tractor restored and have put way more money into it than their going to get out of it.

But your not going to get a 42" deck on either of these, 44". Just was a thought. Good luck.

For instance, http://gardentractor...cub-cadet-1282/

Edited by zippy1, February 18, 2014 - 01:02 AM.

• MH81, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:18 AM

You might look at this place for a replacement transaxle, their prices are alot better. http://www.surplusce...ion/Transaxles/

The other choice is to find an older Simplicity with hydro, deck and blower. If he is going to snowblow, a cab will keep him more comfortable. Good Luck, Rick

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 09:00 AM

look into like a jd 430 or 318 older hrdro drive power sterring

:yeah_that:

I agree with SuperSpeedex, you can get those JD 318's for under $2000, they are really stout and have hydraulic lift and power steering.

Although the deck might be around 48 or 50".

It's going to be hard to find a garden tractor with power steering and a 42" cut.

Good luck on your search, hope you find something that will work out! :thumbs:

• superspeedex said thank you