• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I dont know where youre gettin your parts but Kohler (themselves) used to sell a 0.003" O/S piston,and they actually used STD rings with them. I am not looking at a spec book at the moment but I do know that air cooled engines usually call for more piston to wall clearance than water cooled engines. 0.01o clearance sounds right.  now youll be at 0.014  that seems a bit much.

IDk if the aftermarket ones offer this,  I saw a couple on Feebay when I was looking for parts for my M12 (same engine a s your K 301 except for no points to worry about...)   I saw a few scattered among there but DON'T buy the 1st one you see, people on Feebay (in general) seem to think their stuff is made of pure Gold;  prices asked there lately seem like the "well I REALLY don't want to sell but will, it you want to pay me stupid money"... I saw a few wanting $250 for stock or 0.010 over pistons.... I can buy a set of pistons and rings with money left over for a V8 for that kind of money.... this $250 was for ONE piston...

but look around and youll see someone selling the same thing for a more than reasonable price. It may take a few times of searching the listings over a week or 2's worth of time to get one for what you want to pay

• boyscout862 said thank you

#32 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 07:14 AM

Dodge Trucker: There are  dealers selling kits made up of Stens and Rotary parts. They come in std, +0.010, and +0.020 piston sizes. The $80 kit includes all gaskets and seals, piston, rings, rod, and tuneup kit. For $45 more both new bearings. I am curious about the quality and will try one of them. Thanks for the tip, I will mic the old piston(it has a frozen wrist pin).

I know about the cheap auto kits. My brothers and I have used the kits from Northern Auto Parts. I rebuilt the 350 engine for my C30 about 13 years ago. The kit plus shipping was less than $200 and that engine still runs fine. But, those were all US made parts. I'm not sure about any parts anymore. When I get time, inbetween the emergencies, I'll work on the engine and see what I learn. Good Luck, Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#33 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Dodge Trucker: There are  dealers selling kits made up of Stens and Rotary parts. They come in std, +0.010, and +0.020 piston sizes. The $80 kit includes all gaskets and seals, piston, rings, rod, and tuneup kit. For $45 more both new bearings. I am curious about the quality and will try one of them. Thanks for the tip, I will mic the old piston(it has a frozen wrist pin).

I know about the cheap auto kits. My brothers and I have used the kits from Northern Auto Parts. I rebuilt the 350 engine for my C30 about 13 years ago. The kit plus shipping was less than $200 and that engine still runs fine. But, those were all US made parts. I'm not sure about any parts anymore. When I get time, inbetween the emergencies, I'll work on the engine and see what I learn. Good Luck, Rick

OK so the aftermarket hasn't picked up the 0.003" O/S option that the OEM used to offer... probably good to know

• boyscout862 said thank you