#16 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,910 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Welcome aboard nothing is more fun than using a vintage machine to do the chores around the home, heck your neighbors will say... Hey what is that thing your riding on ?

#17 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:16 PM

If you look at Troy-Bilt or Toro, they might have one in your price range. You might check out there websites and see what they offer. These are made by MTD(who also makes Cub Cadet) and may have the same transmissions as what is in some Husqvarnas. The brands I mentioned are not probably as good in quality as JD or Simplicity, but with good care one of these may do well for you and have a long life.

#18 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:19 PM

If you look at Troy-Bilt or Toro, they might have one in your price range. You might check out there websites and see what they offer. These are made by MTD(who also makes Cub Cadet) and may have the same transmissions as what is in some Husqvarnas. The brands I mentioned are not probably as good in quality as JD or Simplicity, but with good care one of these may do well for you and have a long life.

There again, you can't beat the quality of an older GT.

#19 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:02 PM

If your still curious about the Husqvarnas, buying one from a good dealer is the key. Get the model # of the unit you are interested in and go to Tractordata.com, that site will tell you what trans is in that particular one.
The older YTH24V54XLS had an automatic locking diff when it sensed wheel spin. Unfortunately it was a TT K46 which is anemic at best, especially for what you want it for. I like the older GTs, and have an
Ariens which is a tough GT. It does my grunt work and snow blowing in the winter.
That being said, I mow about 3 1/2 acres on a weekly basis, and the combination of only a 42" deck and occcasional maintenance issues on an old GT, I wanted something bigger and reliable to cut grass on my schedule. Check out the Husqvarna GT54LS in the low $3000's. It has a dash mounted diff lock and the
TT K66 hydro which is beefy unit.

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:23 PM

I have a 24 hp Craftsman and a 26 hp Husqvarna in the shop now.  They both belong to the same older gentlemen and his son.  Both are 2006 machines and are pretty much the same machine except the deck on the Husqvarna is much more solidly built and weighs about double the Craftsman.  Both have about 750 hours on the hourmeter and I have been servicing them for the past five years once early in the spring and again in mid July or early August.

As much as I also like the older stuff, if I was mowing a property as large as they are and wanted a newer one I would get the Husqvarna.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Hi and welcome to GTT .  I don't get online as much as I'd like to lately, but when I saw this thread I felt that I should say that I own a 2006 Husqvarna GTH2448T.  In this case, the GT does NOT  mean it's a garden tractor; but that's a story for another time. For regular lawn maintenance  and snow blowing it has performed flawlessly on my level lot.   I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Husqvarna if you're thinking of buying new; as long as you get one with the TT K66 tranny. We're hoping to move in the future, and if we do I might just get  the K 66 upgrade kit.  You could also get one for your CC if you wanted. Just another choice for you.  Yes, maybe an expensive one  ( choice ) since you could get an older model and fix it up, but since I would have to get all new baggers, dethatchers, etc. I feel it'd be an easier route for me. They say the average replacement time would be about 5 hours. 

Whatever you choose, good luck ! 

#22 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Welcome!

Edited by FilledTires, January 16, 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#23 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:14 PM

Hi and Welcome.  

I have a GT180 and I also have a John deere 425, Bolens 1050 and IHC Cub 129.  

The John deere is a way heavier machine more $$ built in 80's. Not even a fair comparison.  

The Bolen and IHC are from 69 or 70 and are tough machines.    Bolens 10 Hp with 6 forward and 2 reverse.  Locking diff and PTO style drive.  IHC 14 hp tough hydro belt drive attachments.  Both way heavier than the Husqvarna(18 hp with belt drive attachments) will ever be. It is a decent mowing machine I won't dream of working anywhere near as hard as the 2 older machine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new here, cub, husquvarna