22 replies to this topic

#1 tractorhead OFFLINE  

tractorhead
  • Member No: 53736
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi, I'm new here guys !

Here is the deal, hoping you guys can shed a little light on the subject. I own a lawn tractor now, a 2006 Cub Cadet LT1000. I really need something with more tranny, the rest of the machine is fine, has features I like and dislike but really the tranny isn't much of a unit. Last year at a dealer they had a left over Husquvaran GT with locking diff and fabricated deck for what I thought to be a good price. But here is what I want to know.

What locking tranny is the good one that Husquvarna uses. I have snow plowing and or blowing in mind and dragging a 300 or 400 lb roller around in the summer on level ground. Other than that, my driveway is a bit uphill and I have some rough terrain around but relatively level. I do go to my sons house and dethatch and do their first cutting of the season there. His lot is basically a hill. My Cadet is going to blow a tranny if I do all this with that even though it's just once per year or so ( other than snow, we get what we get with that). It already doesn't have the full speed it once had IMO.

And in the end, is a Husquvarna good at all for these duties ? I like that dealer because there are deck options there and I don't need a huge deck but it should be rugged. On the other hand, I don't want to end up with something like the JD X300 that has a weak tranny or another Lawn Tractor.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. There are many opinions on what you are asking. I am not familiar with anything newer that the 90s so, I can't comment on what you have. I will say that I go with machines from the 60s and 70s that are well built and passed the test of time. The draw back is they require alot of work to fix up initially. I'm retired, so its my hobby. Others will be along to help you. Good Luck, Rick
  • twostep said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined,

#4 anixon92 OFFLINE  

anixon92

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 11:31 AM

go with a older machine.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Welcome to GTtalk,  I do small engine repair so I work on a variety of different equipment. My experience with Husquvarna has not been very good dealing with parts.  I would order a part and then go to put it on and guess what it doesn't fit or it is the wrong part all together.  The problem wasn't the parts house either because we called Husquvarna dealer customer service and they couldn't answer why we kept getting the wrong part under that part number. 

What I think you will need to do is move from an LT to a GT.  Depending on your mechanical experience an older tractor may work well for you. you could get more features for less $$$.  Good luck in your search

• jms180 said thank you

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:16 PM

:welcometogttalk: Thanks for joining us here and good luck with finding what you need.

#7 tractorhead OFFLINE  

tractorhead
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:25 PM

Welcome to GTtalk,  I do small engine repair so I work on a variety of different equipment. My experience with Husquvarna has not been very good dealing with parts.  I would order a part and then go to put it on and guess what it doesn't fit or it is the wrong part all together.  The problem wasn't the parts house either because we called Husquvarna dealer customer service and they couldn't answer why we kept getting the wrong part under that part number. 

What I think you will need to do is move from an LT to a GT.  Depending on your mechanical experience an older tractor may work well for you. you could get more features for less $$$.  Good luck in your search

I've been the head vehicle ( mostly truck) mechanic for a major softdrink facility for 43 years. I've been working on new and old junk all my life. So that's the history of me mechanically. I also drag raced in the 70's, built u0p my own engines, weld etc. However, headed towards retirement now, I want one good tractor rugged enough to do what I want done. Turn the key it starts up. I don't really care if the Cub stays or goes, it can stay and cut the grass is fine or not but it is turn key already.

I can pick up a late 70's Sears GT, I believe 14 is the designation and I think it's a single cyclinder Techumsa. $500 with a plow. The question becomes to myself, do I want to rebuild a tractor ? It's been garaged, it runs but rough and also has no muffler so that isn't helping matters any with mixture ( no muffler as in rotted off at the threads). It's old, I'm sure the fuel system is balking at todays gas and probably the engine as well. Also, do I want a vibrating old one lunger ?  The answer to all the above ? Mildly interested but at least I know it's rugged.

The unanswered question in my own mind, is the tranny in the new Husquvarna GT's any good ?

#8 Dieselcubmike ONLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hello and welcome :wave:  Honestly I haven't ran anything new so im not sure what to say about the husq.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I've been the head vehicle ( mostly truck) mechanic for a major softdrink facility for 43 years. I've been working on new and old junk all my life. So that's the history of me mechanically. I also drag raced in the 70's, built u0p my own engines, weld etc. However, headed towards retirement now, I want one good tractor rugged enough to do what I want done. Turn the key it starts up. I don't really care if the Cub stays or goes, it can stay and cut the grass is fine or not but it is turn key already.

I can pick up a late 70's Sears GT, I believe 14 is the designation and I think it's a single cyclinder Techumsa. $500 with a plow. The question becomes to myself, do I want to rebuild a tractor ? It's been garaged, it runs but rough and also has no muffler so that isn't helping matters any with mixture ( no muffler as in rotted off at the threads). It's old, I'm sure the fuel system is balking at todays gas and probably the engine as well. Also, do I want a vibrating old one lunger ?  The answer to all the above ? Mildly interested but at least I know it's rugged.

The unanswered question in my own mind, is the tranny in the new Husquvarna GT's any good ?

You certainly have better credentials as a mechanic then I do.  So with out a doubt anything you buy, you should be able to maintain,  I personally do not own a Husquvarna, all my tractors are Craftsman.  I have one customer that has Husquvarna YT
1949 so the experiences I mentioned above are from dealing with that tractor.  I realize that the YT is not what you are looking but that is where my exprience with Husquvarna has come from.  I can't answer you question about the tranny on the Husquvarna you are looking at.

I have a Craftsman GT3000 that I use for bush hogging around my property and it has been a great tractor.  It has a high and low selector and 3 speeds forward and a reverse.  We live on 6 acres with mainly woods around us and there is nothing level around here.  We got it 13 years ago and I have done nothing to it except rebuild the carburetor, my own fault I let it sit to long.  It sill had original battery, & tires.  As I mentioned I use it for bush hogging around the wooded areas and also levelling out the gravel driveway.  It also pulls dead tractors out of my compound when I have over flow in the shop.  The trouble I see for you would be, I don't believe you can choose what size deck comes on it. 

I hope this helps in some way and once again welcome to GTtalk.

#10 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:47 PM

I might ask, if you don't mind, what's your price range? I'm not sure what the reliability of Husqvarna GT transmissions are and they may very well be the same ones that are in other brands of new GTs. I'm not sure if there is such a thing available anymore on any new GTs, but a gear drive GT would probably be best. As long as it has a GT transmission and you take good care of it, it should go a long time. With that being said, the older GTs have much heaver transmissions. If your pulling a 300-400 lb. roller occasionally and running a snow thrower, it will probably be fine. I don't have much experience with the newer GT transmissions, so I'm just speculating.

Edited by Gabriel, February 17, 2014 - 09:55 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#11 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Oh, I forgot to say WELCOME!

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have two customers with GTs and they have not used them hard enough, or long enough, to tell how they hold up in the long run. I suppose it all depends on how there cared for. I say I don't have much experience on the newer GT transmissions, as the two that I work on were made between 2000 and 2006.

Edited by Gabriel, February 17, 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi, I'm new here guys !

Here is the deal, hoping you guys can shed a little light on the subject. I own a lawn tractor now, a 2006 Cub Cadet LT1000. I really need something with more tranny, the rest of the machine is fine, has features I like and dislike but really the tranny isn't much of a unit. Last year at a dealer they had a left over Husquvaran GT with locking diff and fabricated deck for what I thought to be a good price. But here is what I want to know.

What locking tranny is the good one that Husquvarna uses. I have snow plowing and or blowing in mind and dragging a 300 or 400 lb roller around in the summer on level ground. Other than that, my driveway is a bit uphill and I have some rough terrain around but relatively level. I do go to my sons house and dethatch and do their first cutting of the season there. His lot is basically a hill. My Cadet is going to blow a tranny if I do all this with that even though it's just once per year or so ( other than snow, we get what we get with that). It already doesn't have the full speed it once had IMO.

And in the end, is a Husquvarna good at all for these duties ? I like that dealer because there are deck options there and I don't need a huge deck but it should be rugged. On the other hand, I don't want to end up with something like the JD X300 that has a weak tranny or another Lawn Tractor.

Hello tractorhead, welcome to GTT.  You have found the best forum on the internet for old garden tractors.  The most experience with no bs.  High enthusiasm and no ego trips.  A caring community and no flame wars or name-calling, everyone seems to get along and just wants to talk about old tractors and keep them running and working.

Having said that if you look at the husqvarna subforum there is only one page here on GTT.  I think that is probably because Husky is a relatively new brand, ie 90s-up, and is now part of Sears, AYP, or some other huge conglomerate, with overseas parts, etc.  Now I wouldn't ordinarily recommend another tractor forum than GTT but for your questions there are 52 pages of Husqvarna discussion over at another forum that is kind of like the Wal-Mart of tractor forums.  Easy enough to find if you look on google.  I am sure they will be able to answer your questions about locking differentials and which new Husky to pursue.  You may need to filter through some bs over there but some people like it. 

Again, you'll find a lot more owners of new Huskies at the "other" forum.

As for the late 70's Sears with Tecumseh, you'll find a lot of people who like them.  $500 for one that runs rough is too much, $50 is more like it imo.  Tech motors are getting hard to find parts for.  If you can find a late 80's Craftsman 2, 18hp Briggs twin with the dual range 6 speed, that is generally a bulletproof transmission.  They have snowblowers, plows, 44" decks, and use a lot of gas but run strong.  I bought one for $450 with blower and deck, all in great shape, and got a lot of service out of it before downsizing to an older 12hp tractor "one lunger" for $250 that actually runs smoother and uses less fuel with plenty of power, but that's another story.

As for which machine to buy it really comes down to how the individual tractor was used and cared for.  Being a mechanic for 43 years you probably don't want to have to work on your own garden tractor every weekend.  Also like many of us here it sounds like you are getting older and may prefer electric or hydraulic lift over manual, if not now then maybe someday soon.  Sears tractors are generally manual lift.  Also as the knees get older many prefer a hydro trans, which were quite rugged in some older machines but maybe not so much in the new ones.

It also comes down to what is available near you, also in parts machines.  If you want to buy something from a dealer and get dealer service, that is a big can of worms with what they now call "garden tractors," which are more like yesterday's "lawn tractors" in terms of ruggedness.  Nowadays a "sub compact utility tractor" is what is available new that does the work of the old "garden tractors," and they cost a lot of money.  It may seem like semantics but it is more like marketing hype and cutting corners that is the unfortunate new business model.

Ultimately I hope you find the right tractor for your needs and finances.  Hope to see you around GTT with a tractor that the members here know a lot about but that depends on what you find... good luck

• HDWildBill said thank you

#14 tractorhead OFFLINE  

tractorhead
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hello tractorhead, welcome to GTT.  You have found the best forum on the internet for old garden tractors.  The most experience with no bs.  High enthusiasm and no ego trips.  A caring community and no flame wars or name-calling, everyone seems to get along and just wants to talk about old tractors and keep them running and working.

Having said that if you look at the husqvarna subforum there is only one page here on GTT.  I think that is probably because Husky is a relatively new brand, ie 90s-up, and is now part of Sears, AYP, or some other huge conglomerate, with overseas parts, etc.  Now I wouldn't ordinarily recommend another tractor forum than GTT but for your questions there are 52 pages of Husqvarna discussion over at another forum that is kind of like the Wal-Mart of tractor forums.  Easy enough to find if you look on google.  I am sure they will be able to answer your questions about locking differentials and which new Husky to pursue.  You may need to filter through some bs over there but some people like it. 

Again, you'll find a lot more owners of new Huskies at the "other" forum.

As for the late 70's Sears with Tecumseh, you'll find a lot of people who like them.  $500 for one that runs rough is too much, $50 is more like it imo.  Tech motors are getting hard to find parts for.  If you can find a late 80's Craftsman 2, 18hp Briggs twin with the dual range 6 speed, that is generally a bulletproof transmission.  They have snowblowers, plows, 44" decks, and use a lot of gas but run strong.  I bought one for $450 with blower and deck, all in great shape, and got a lot of service out of it before downsizing to an older 12hp tractor "one lunger" for $250 that actually runs smoother and uses less fuel with plenty of power, but that's another story.

As for which machine to buy it really comes down to how the individual tractor was used and cared for.  Being a mechanic for 43 years you probably don't want to have to work on your own garden tractor every weekend.  Also like many of us here it sounds like you are getting older and may prefer electric or hydraulic lift over manual, if not now then maybe someday soon.  Sears tractors are generally manual lift.  Also as the knees get older many prefer a hydro trans, which were quite rugged in some older machines but maybe not so much in the new ones.

It also comes down to what is available near you, also in parts machines.  If you want to buy something from a dealer and get dealer service, that is a big can of worms with what they now call "garden tractors," which are more like yesterday's "lawn tractors" in terms of ruggedness.  Nowadays a "sub compact utility tractor" is what is available new that does the work of the old "garden tractors," and they cost a lot of money.  It may seem like semantics but it is more like marketing hype and cutting corners that is the unfortunate new business model.

Ultimately I hope you find the right tractor for your needs and finances.  Hope to see you around GTT with a tractor that the members here know a lot about but that depends on what you find... good luck

Hmm, interesting place !

I had offered the guy with the Sears 14 ( there is a designation that goes in front of that , maybe GT 14) $300 back around Thanks Giving, he got interested if it was cash and his wife didn't know about it !! I have not heard it run, he says it hunts at idle or low speed but runs smooth when up to speed. I'm thinking this is mixture and the broken off muffler is of no help in any small engine regarding mixture ( the shorter the pipe the more you screw out the mixture screw generally and then burn valves anyway if you work it like that unless rejetted). But I had no idea that the going price was more lke $50 at that point in time.

Are you guys familiar with Tractorhouse.com ? They deal in all kinds of used tractors from the big jobs down to garden sized. They arrange via auction format and ship just about anyplace. I had my eye on a couple of JD's there a year ago last fall and keep getting emails from them. But JD GT325 and old GT244's or 200 series in general come up pretty often. Some are dealer items some not.

As to new, probably the low $3000 range is why I was looking at Husky ( a new Cub 2000series is $3800 but has a cast iron tranny). And yes, getting older now, hydro sounds good but not if they are all junk these days ! MIne has done fine but I know as it gets more into ground engaging it's not going to. It's a good mower, can haul a cart with some dead tree limbs in it or some mulch. I wouuldn't work it much harder. The tranny is not even really servicable.

#15 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Definitely go with an older machine, I have used and seen allot of the newer machines and they do not compare even close to the older ones.  even the older ones when they are all worn out are better than the new ones, anything newer than 1980 is trash

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new here, cub, husquvarna