9 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:29 AM

I'm a bit of a tool hound, but I have yet to purchase a puller.

In this broad sub-category, what is your go-to tool?

Looking at princess auto, they have multi-jaw pullers, ones shaped like a "peace" sign and bearing pullers that look like two half-circles bolted together.

So far, my most common applications would be flywheels and pulleys on engine shafts.

I prefer to own one good tool.  So I want to get one good puller.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:15 AM

I'm not sure there is a good "one size fits all" in the puller department. The harmonic balancer style pullers are usually good for flywheels and applications that have threaded holes to run bolts into. The split collar pullers are good for bearing races and pulleys that have clearance you can get behind with the tool. Jaw pullers are good for gears and heavier items that you can't get behind but they have a tendency to bend the tin pulleys that a lot of mowers use. I've also seen them break the rim of V belt pulleys. Sometimes you can have a half dozen pullers and still nothing will seem to grab it.

• Alc, jms180, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 04:12 AM

I'm not sure there is a good "one size fits all" in the puller department. The harmonic balancer style pullers are usually good for flywheels and applications that have threaded holes to run bolts into. The split collar pullers are good for bearing races and pulleys that have clearance you can get behind with the tool. Jaw pullers are good for gears and heavier items that you can't get behind but they have a tendency to bend the tin pulleys that a lot of mowers use. I've also seen them break the rim of V belt pulleys. Sometimes you can have a half dozen pullers and still nothing will seem to grab it.

Like Doug said there isn't a fit all puller.I got two drawes full of pullers but the one that gets the nod for many things is the duck paw shape harmonic balancer puller with 4 bolt holes,But some of my pullers I made myself for a one time job never to be used again.I'am not a big fan of Harbor freght tools but if your not working them to death every day they should do the job for you.Get an assortment from them they are inexpenive.

• Alc, motobreeder, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Like Doug & Bill you never seem to have the correct one lol  when you do get a puller it's nice to get some grade 8 nuts the same size thread as the puller so if you do need to fab up one you won't have to worry about trying to thread a piece of stock that big

• DougT, jms180, motobreeder and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:55 AM

I must have 20+ different puller sets. The duck foot shaped was the first 40 years ago. There are just too many specialized types that are needed when working on cars, truck, tractors, and GTs. Most I bought when I absolutely needed them or when they showed up cheap at a tag sale. Some I have made. The B&S flywheel puller can be easily copied with a block of steel and a drillpress.

One point that I want to make is that the wrong puller or an abused puller can be dangerous. It can damage the part or slip and hurt you. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, motobreeder, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Steering wheel type puller is good for many things. Buy better brand and throw away the pull bolts that come with it, they are low grade. A cheap chinese one will bend or strip the center pull bolt, so get better.  A few sizes of the Bar type (not sure what called), maybe Beam puller? with sliding arms that you can adjust in/out or just slots to put in your own bolts if part is threaded.  Never had much luck with the 3 arm type with hooked ends staying on much, and or just damages what you are pulling on.  the Bearing pullers are nice back-up and using above pullers then to do pulling are good for items you can get Behind with the two halves of it. Best puller is PB Blaster, comes in a can you spray, Ha! Time to let soak, and BRASS hammers for tapping on parts and shafts.

• Alc, motobreeder and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:14 PM

The "peace sign" steering wheel puller serves well on tractors and automotive work. Sometimes just building your own "adapters" works fine with them. I broke the steering wheel on my MF12G and had to make a piece to attach to the steering wheel puller to grip under the wheel hub. There are plenty others that are good to have but I would start with this one.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12 steering wheel pull 001.jpg
  • MF12 steering wheel pull 002.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, February 19, 2014 - 09:15 PM.

• DougT, Alc, motobreeder and 1 other said thanks

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 12:05 PM

I use a Posi -Lock puller, we bought them at the Farm Progress Show 25 years ago Dad bought a set of 6 from a little 3" puller all the way up to a 18" Combine pulley puller , they have brackets that hold the jaws in place to keep them from falling in out and everywhere. very nice pullers we use them all the time.
  • motobreeder said thank you

#9 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 12:11 PM

here is a pic
[

Attached Thumbnails

• 3%20Jaw%20Pullers%20no%20blueedit1.jpg
  • 3%20Jaw%20Pullers%20no%20blueedit1.jpg

#10 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:59 PM

My favorite is the Proto Puller. I have been wanting to buy one for some time but can't seem to find a reasonably prices one when I have the $$. My dad had one when I was a kid and it was our favorite. It was good quality and easy to use.