36 replies to this topic

#31 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 01:14 PM

Mohunter, I've seen some good advice from the folks here, but really, you need to sit down and take stock of your personal situation.

a) How big an area are you mowing? and how often?

b) How long can you afford to take mowing it?

c) Is the terrain fairly free of obstacles or not?

d) Is the terrain pool-table flat or does it look like someone threw the ground over the billiard balls?

e) How long and what type of driveway do you want to clear?

f) What is your honest assessment of your mechanical abilities? Do you know the difference between a flat-head and a Phillips screwdriver, or is your skill level such that you can take a chunk of steel and bore, hone port and polish your own engine block and build a tractor frame around it? 

g) Do you love the control a manual transmission give you, or would you rather use an automatic transmission when you drive a car? (For choosing between a gear drive and a hydro style tractor).

h) Do you think you might start doing chores beyond mowing and snow-plowing?

#32 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I was just about to chime in also about  Gear and hydro...  Howard just covered that

You said you were a Mechanic,, so repairing old tractors should come rather strait forward to you..They made them simple and tough,,and in ALL sizes...

I personally like the Hydros.. My wife loves them... :tapping_fingers:   HUMMM.. maybe that's why I never get  seat-time  on our bolens..  I should have gotten a gear drive....  When the wife gets a full tank of gas I won't see her till she has run out..Just keep mowing honny  I'll supply the petrol ...

P S ...   WHAT DO YOU MEAN  BOLENS ARE   UGLY..   :shoot2:   That's OK.... MORE FOR ME...  Welcome anyway...

Good luck with your'e  endevor                           Sodi

#33 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • Member No: 53733
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yes I am a auto tech was fully certified ford technician then took job as auto technician for the postal service ... Anyhow don't care if it's manual or hydro mowing around 2 acres at the house I'm buying and my dad's my place will be easy mowing with easy driveway his house however very rough terrain steep hills and driveway is across a pond dam I have access to a commercial snapper zero turn 20hp 61 inch deck hydraulic lift blah blah blah but it is a pain to now with has the single joystick and I hate it
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#34 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:33 PM

In my opinion, with two acres to mow you will want 12 or more horsepower with a 42+ inch deck, that is the minimum I'd consider I think.  Look through craigslist and see what brands are selling near you, then go to tractor data for a bit more information about them.  As has been suggested, look around through the different forums for the repair/refurb threads to get an idea of what problems older GTs have and how people solve those problems.  Once you've looked and see something you like, maybe you can ask again again about parts, known issues, etc. that people have run across.

One thing I know, when you find a tractor you really want, you will get it regardless.  I love these old Masseys, yet they can be difficult to obtain parts for.  But a lot of smaller stuff can be worked around, and the engines can be replaced too.

GE 015.JPG

#35 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 04:30 PM

I think this thread covers anything and everything you need to know. Listening to your responses makes me wonder if you should look at something a little bigger. You may consider a "super gt". John Deere 400 series, Bolens large frames, Cub Cadet super's, or maybe a Case 400 series. I care for my 1.25 acres and also a couple neighbors. I mow with a Case 446 with a 48" deck. It eats grass pretty quickly. 2 acres is a lot with anything smaller. Also has a 54" blade that'll make quick work of anything in front of it. You'll spend a little more but also get a lot more tractor. I know they also have 60" decks for all those I listed. You may not want to give up the time it'll take a RF 110 to mow 2 acres. There was a 46" deck for those but I think the 39" was more common. I love the round fender 110 and wish I would've never sold mine. I just think you may want a little more for "user" tractor and save the 110 for sunny days. I'm a little partial to Case but I also own a couple John Deeres. Anyone one of them would handle what you have. Its just a matter of how you want to get to that point and what kind of time again.

uploadfromtaptalk1392758829028.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392758892056.jpg

I'm a little partial to Case. Case uses a hydraulic drive system that is easy to work on. Runs motor oil for hydro fluid and also has hydraulic lift and hydraulic rear PTO. The only thing belt driven is the mower deck and snowblower. Hope this helps.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

#36 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • Member No: 53733
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:20 PM

What about this lgt195 ford? Fully restored wants 800 or trade has no implements or deck

#37 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,648 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:08 PM

What about this lgt195 ford? Fully restored wants 800 or trade has no implements or deck

You might take this question directly to the Ford guys.  Click Forums at top and go down to the specific tractor portion and look for Ford.  Good luck!