• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:31 AM

My suggestion is to spend some time here on the Brand Forums and look at the problems folks are having, the topics about using the tractors and also any restoration topics which are always a good way ot see what has worn out on a given model and how it was fixed. It also lets you see the bones of a tractor. The biggest thing to remember is that old tractors are sometimes just plain worn out and when you take on one that is like that you should be prepared for a lot of repairs and expense. Condition is very important and not evident by looking at the paint alone. I think your first step is to figure out what you want to do with the tractor then pick models in different brands that will do the job, make a short list and then try to find one in good condition. I would say that availability is the biggest problem for a lot of folks and that may not be a problem for you depending on what your local market looks like and how far you are willing to travel to get what you want. Happy hunting and welcome to GTTalk.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:30 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk
It sounds like the bug has bit ya hard.
As for what one to look for, any of the 10 or 12 hp tractors will outwork twice that hp on a tractor built today. BTW, you didnt mention that I saw how much you had to mow or how large an area you need to remove snow from.
They were built stronger and designed to last. It sounds like you have a feel for some of the things to look for (wear and tear, slop here and there) and the guys have tossed in some good info (common brands can vary by area, some places have a lot of Simplicity-Allis, some are heavy with Sears) but, I would say this: just because they are common, doesn't mean they are still supported by the company. Also, the one you research may not be your best fit. I have tractors I love that are awkward to get on and off because people were skinnier or more flexible back in the early 70's I guess.

Engines, I would say the best OEM support is probably Kohler or Briggs. Tecumseh parts are still out there, but getting harder to find the non aftermarket stuff.
Tractors, I think JD probably has the best parts support, but they are sticklers on price and info. You can't share manuals like the other brands for instance. I had good luck getting parts for my Simplicity Built Allis, but some parts aren't available any more and tend to be wear items (bevel gear box for instance). Sears may still be in business, but they have just about washed their hands of the old stuff.

Almost all the tractors you mentioned would do what you need. You will have to search for the wanted attachments for a while on any brand (it becomes an addiction all on its own). Plan on looking for: front blade, snow blower, mower deck, rear attachment lift, moldboard plow and other rear attachments.
It will grow from there to searching for every gadget and gizmo they made for it and taking pictures to share here of the rusty gold you found and a video of the carb rebuild you had to do. :smilewink:

Somewhere around here is a list of things that tell you when you're addicted. I will see if I can find it.
Here it is, It an old thread and has a formatting issue, but you'll get the drift. http://gardentractor...954#entry114954

Good luck in picking out the right tool (toy) for the job. Keep us up to speed in your choice.
  • Gtractor and trowel have said thanks

#18 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Very good points.

Reason I said to look on tractordata.com was to get ideas of hp's of GT's. Also take into consideration to go gear drive or hydro.

My point was not to sway you from one or another, just to make up your mind rather than "us" seeing I'm personally rather bias and brand loyal.

Anything built "back in the day" are a rather strong bunch of tractors. Hp ratings do not compare with todays. There was a lot of work done with a 7 hp tractor that today a much bigger engine couldn't do, or hold up to what was asked of one today.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Old tractors is an interesting and useful hobby. Take your time and the right tractor will evenually come your way. We have many threads with this same subject, so search through them and learn. Also look through our Galleries for photos of the different machines. In our Manuals section there are sales brouchures and manuals for older machines. Somewhere are a bunch of the old ads from the 60s and 70s. When you have questions, we are here to help. Good Luck, Rick

#20 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:01 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Since you are planing on using the GT, I would go with the bolens, just because it's a bigger GT and it could probably do more things then the smaller JD.
Also the shaft drive would be a big improvement over the belt drive.

Not trying to tell you what to buy, that's just my thoughts.

Good luck on your search and have fun with your new GT

:wave:

#21 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:05 PM

Welcome aboard :wave:!

I think the guys have covered the bases well and it's interesting that you have alot of options available to you in one location. I've noticed you've kinda called out the round fender JD a few times, so you may already be leaning. While you're still shopping around and debating form and function, there may come a time when The 'Right One' will haunt your dreams and waking hours until you bring it home. My one strong recommendation would be to try to pre anticipate capacity/ storage as its likely, your first Gt will not be your last. Whether or not you choose to get it from this guy with several to pick from or if it's the lonely one being given away for next to nuthin.   Finally I'd say once you've decided which one you just can't live without and you've done your homework and set your budget limit., do yourself a favor and search a 100 mile radius for a deal that didnt seem available last week or even last night. A random conversation somewhere during this time might also surprise you. Good Luck, we'll be waitin for results.  

• zippy1 said thank you

#22 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • Member No: 53733
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:49 PM

The bolens is tough but it is so ugly! I love the 67 110 and I love the old cubs too but he didn't have any not already sold or that he would part with I'm going to mow a 2 acre yard and plow a 100 yard driveway
  • MH81 and zippy1 have said thanks

#23 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hello and welcome :wave:

• mohunter09 said thank you

#24 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'll be honest I'm a real sucker for the cubs he had a 70 there in show quality not for sale and it was so awesome
  • backwoods and zippy1 have said thanks

#25 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Dieselcubmike I watched bunch of your videos last night your pulling rig is awesome what motor are you running

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:18 PM

The Ford would do those kind of chores. For 100 yard drive, I would go with a blower over a blade tho.

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Well, figure why try so hard, let it happen, no hurry, look, listen, read.

After several years you will know if it is something you really like, start simple and easy, fix it, use it, grow from there.

Edited by trowel, February 17, 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#28 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Since you're inquiring about, or asking about, or thinking about, the '67 110 round fender, I'll chime in and give you my two cents worth. The 110 will be able to provide you with enough horsepower (Kohler K181) to give you what you need as far as mowing and pushing snow. The hydraulic lift is an even better advantage for the front and rear mounted accessories,. However, the attachments lately will be a little pricey to collect. It used to be that you could buy a really nice package unit consisting of the tractor, mower deck, front blade, and a dump cart for around $250.00. But due to the hobby taking off recently, you're lucky to get just the tractor for that price.

I will state my reasons for liking the 110, not to persuade your thinking, but to help you in determining if this model is really what you want. I've been collecting these round fenders for years, so I'll be able to give you the helpful information on these, that you were looking for earlier. 

Advantages:

1. The overall looks of the tractor in itself, is appealing since they resemble to the larger farm tractors like the 5020's. The just seem to have a clean line to their styling, and don't look boxy, or have that square corner look.

2. The operator is comfortable, in regards to having all the necessary adjustments such as the lift lever, choke and throttle levers, and gear shift within reach without feeling like you have your chest against the steering wheel in order to reach them.

3. The variable speed is great for running different types of attachments that require high RPM's but yet not a lot of ground speed. The '67 110 will have 4 forward gears, and the variable speed adjustment will give you seven speeds in each of the forward gears. You will also have seven speed adjustments in the reverse gear as well. These different setting will aid in rototilling, snowthrowing, and mowing. 

4. The tractor itself has an overall nice balance to it. Meaning the front end doesn't over weigh the rear end, and the rear doesn't over weight the front end. I've owned an Allis Chalmers B10, an Allis Chalmers B112, and a Gilson before, and it seemed that each of these were either very heavy on the rear, or very heavy in the front end. May not mean a lot to most guys, but when you've loaded enough of the tractors by hand, you quickly learn to appreciate a well balanced tractor.

5. Resell value doesn't seem to depreciate, and the popularity seems to always be high. You can't go to a non-brand specific tractor show without at least seeing 4-5 round fender 110's. Even though they are popular, they are always in high demand. It's seem everyone wants at least one of them. I only see the resell value going high in the next couple of years or so. Just something to think about.

Disadvantages:

1. New replacement parts are getting harder to find from the local John Deere dealership. Most parts are no longer available. If parts are needed for the 110, you will most likely have to find them on places like ebay, some of our website sponsors, or through the reproduction company, Hapco. John Deere parts seem to be higher priced then say those of Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, or Allis Chalmers. Oh, you will need to find some patience if you don't have any now. Some parts I have been waiting for years to find, as others I was able to buy a couple of right away.

2. Replacement belts need to be John Deere factory belts, as non-factory belts just don't hold up. Due to the deeper or sometimes wider belt grooves that John Deere designed, the non-factory belts just don't fit properly, and will either break down quicker, or cause unnecessary wear and tear to other parts of the equipment. John Deere belts are expensive, but in my opinion, are well worth the money in the long run.

3. Accessories for these tractors such as headlights, hubcaps, rear lifting parts or hitches, and wheel weights are ridiculously highly priced right now. In some cases, it will cost you more for the headlights or rear hitch set up then it would to buy the tractor and mower deck. Just throwing that out there.

4. Although some attachments are easily found, finding the parts to operate them or to mount them, may make you wish you would have chosen another brand or model. The rototiller is nice and does a good job, but it could cost you around $200.00 or more just to find all of the attachment parts and lifting pieces in order to use it. The front blades are nice for pushing snow and gravel, and with the five different angle settings, you can get nice results. However, as I have found out the past couple of weeks, you hit a high slab of sidewalk with the blade set at the 35 degree setting, and it will not only stop the forward motion of the tractor, but will break the angling pin clean off. 

5. If you decide to go with the 110, the first thing I recommend in doing is, change the gear shift so that it's pointed more towards the downward position rather than the upward position. This will help keep your pant leg cuff from catching the shifter, and throwing the transmission into gear while you are getting on your running tractor.

6. Rear wheel weights are nice and can be found, but they are really hard on the axle hubs. Once the hubs start to wear, you eventually have a lot of wheel wobble. 

7. The pan seat spring should have had some type of bracing under it. The "C" type steel just isn't enough support for a heavy operator, and will eventually break in time. Might sound funny, but try pushing the clutch/brake pedal in sometime while your butt is dragging on the ground behind the running tractor.

There you go. I gave you some of what I thought and what I know. Again, I'm not trying to talk you into a decision, but then again, I'm not trying to talk you out of one either. Only you can decide what you want, what is in your price range, and what has the capability and size of what you need. I wish you luck in your hunt, and as stated previously, be cautious, as this hobby will become an addiction. Once you get one in the garage or shed, they somehow start to breed, and the next thing you know, there are a dozed or do lined up.

Keep us posted on your decision!

• superspeedex said thank you

#29 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:11 PM

I really appreciate the lengthy information! I love that 67 it is in pretty good shape he wants 700 with perfect deck and a snow blade it does have the hydraulic life and motor was pulled off because it ran perfectly and another one he had fully restored had head problems but he ended up finding a head... He had so many awesome tractors ! I'm contemplating buying the 67 to restore and have to play on and buying a lgt 195 ford I found fully restored but it needs a mower deck and I have no idea where I would find one

#30 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ten different answers is fine, everyones opinion is valued and by looking tough I meant it was built tough especially with the shaft driven mower deck, and I am looking to plow snow and mow! He had so many different GT's it was crazy they were so nice even had an Amigo, and all sorts of brands I had never even heard of...I really like the V ribbed ag tires and round fenders that look is awesome.I love fords I went to school for ford and wanted a ford but he only had an old ford 100 and it didnt look quite big enough...really like the 67 JD but not sure what to do!

:welcometogttalk:

I'm about to put my two cents in.   My advice is to stay away from the MF-1450 through MF-1855 if you're using it for mowing unless you're willing to modify the deck as one thread shows here.  Timing issues, belts are kind of expensive unless you modify for standard belts, and I never thought the cut was all that good.  BUT....if you're buying a GT for each task these rascals are great for clearing snow!  I like the look too!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013 bad storm 006.jpg