• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • Member No: 53733
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:07 AM

So I have always liked older things knowing they were made right, today I went to look at a David Bradley and ended up falling in love with the mans extensive collection of antique garden tractors now I must have one I just want to mow and plow the ones I was interested in were mainly the John deere 110 71s and a 67 cause of the round fenders he also had speedex, Jacobson , white , Oliver , cub, farm all, case , ford , General Electric and a ton of really show quality beautiful rides what would you all suggest to someone looking to mow and plow? He strongly suggested a 64 bolens with plow and deck that is pto driven ran perfect he says and looks not near as attractive as the deeres and such but
Does look tough
!
  • HDWildBill, boyscout862, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:00 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Are we talking snow plow or garden plow here?

• boyscout862, farmer john and mohunter09 have said thanks

#3 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:08 AM

"Does look tough!"

Looking tough won't get the job done.
As mentioned, plowing as in a push blade, or molboard plow?
Asking ten people what to buy, will get you ten different answers on what to buy.

Edited by MH81, February 17, 2014 - 07:05 AM.
Fixed quote box

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:14 AM

dont get talked into a tractor by someone else, it should be love at first sight, just like your wife, and the way the odds go today the tractor is likely to out last her. so if you want some more real advice, the most beautiful tractor is a *$#@*$#@?. ha ha ha!!!!!!! you'll have to figure that out yourself

• boyscout862 and zippy1 have said thanks

#5 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:15 AM

Ten different answers is fine, everyones opinion is valued and by looking tough I meant it was built tough especially with the shaft driven mower deck, and I am looking to plow snow and mow! He had so many different GT's it was crazy they were so nice even had an Amigo, and all sorts of brands I had never even heard of...I really like the V ribbed ag tires and round fenders that look is awesome.I love fords I went to school for ford and wanted a ford but he only had an old ford 100 and it didnt look quite big enough...really like the 67 JD but not sure what to do!

#6 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:18 AM

PSHH it was love at first site for most of the garden tractors he had....I cannot explain how extensive and awesome his collection was and couldnt believe all that history was so close to home he was a very nice guy and travels all over the united states buying and selling GTs and parts/implements some of the stories on how he got some of them were more interesting than the GT itself

• HDWildBill, backwoods and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:27 AM

Sounds like GT overload. Do yourself a favor and research the tractors that tickled your fancy, write them down and dissect each one, going through the goods and bads that would apply to your way of life and the uses the tractor will be getting. (Parts availability, some of these are old tractors)

Then from the list that you decide are going to be a welcome addition to your family, and will work best for your particular way of life, we will give you ALL the suggestion you want.

• HowardsMF155, backwoods, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:33 AM

Well, I've not have a JD to plow with nor a Bolens. I think zippy1 has the best answer so far.

#9 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:36 AM

Hard to research from what ive seen I googled and googled and googled until I finally gave up only things I can find are a few youtube videos and stuff like that. I was interested in the 110 and 112 JDs one of the 110s was a 67 I liked and a 71 110 with newly rebuilt motor and full restoration...considered the 64 bolens I think it was a 1100 had electric start 2spd rear 3 speed manual tons of implements and whatnot all of the JDs had hydraulic lift which I didnt even know they had that long ago pretty cool...im 23 years old and am a mechanic for a living so working on it isnt an issue at all but parts would be...I love the cub cadets but they seem to be pretty expensive and was told parts can be difficult...the guy that owned him told me the JD's were my best bet for me because I was wanting to use it so much and now just show it and let it sit in my garage...if i had 2500 laying around id be this gorgeous cub with a front loader in a heart beat that thing was awesome...and this cub with dual factory years that was gorgeous as well but already sold!

#10 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:04 AM

Hard to research from what ive seen I googled and googled and googled until I finally gave up only things I can find are a few youtube videos and stuff like that. I was interested in the 110 and 112 JDs one of the 110s was a 67 I liked and a 71 110 with newly rebuilt motor and full restoration...considered the 64 bolens I think it was a 1100 had electric start 2spd rear 3 speed manual tons of implements and whatnot all of the JDs had hydraulic lift which I didnt even know they had that long ago pretty cool...im 23 years old and am a mechanic for a living so working on it isnt an issue at all but parts would be...I love the cub cadets but they seem to be pretty expensive and was told parts can be difficult...the guy that owned him told me the JD's were my best bet for me because I was wanting to use it so much and now just show it and let it sit in my garage...if i had 2500 laying around id be this gorgeous cub with a front loader in a heart beat that thing was awesome...and this cub with dual factory years that was gorgeous as well but already sold!

I think a good place for imformation was tractordata.com look that over.

Also you mentioned cub cadet's and parts were difficult...... I've got twelve or something and all the way back to 1961 and the majority of my parts are still avalable new, what isn't aren't hard to find.

I would think any of the "well known" brands that parts are still available either new or used.

Edited by zippy1, February 17, 2014 - 02:06 AM.

• mohunter09 said thank you

#11 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:13 AM

Ill go look on tractor data but im looking for more first hand advice! Im in missouri we get alot of snow can a garden tractor push snow well or can it only push snow when its a couple inches deep? Are you better off with a snow blower attachment or a plow? Is a 8hp kohler 110 john deere going to have enough power to mow grass when it gets tall and thick?

#12 mohunter09 OFFLINE  

mohunter09
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:57 AM

Looked at tractor data it doesnt tell you anything that you shouldnt obviously already know, am I missing something? All tractor data does is tell you what motors and transmissions they had and original price, etc...nothing that answers any questions I have.

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:13 AM

:welcometogttalk:  and good luck on your search for a GT!

#14 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:03 AM

First welcome to the site , I had a 64 bolens 600 and it was a bull for a small tractor but as others have said you'll know it when the right one comes along

#15 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Welcome!

If you are eventually going to want a bunch of attachments,  your best bet would be a major brand.  A more common tractor usually equals more common - easier to find -attachments.  Deere, Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, and Bolens would be the more common brands. If you are also wanting to take your tractor to tractor shows and/or plow days, a less common brand would draw more attention.

Garden tractors will blade snow just fine but you will need added weight such as wheel weights or something heavy to hang on the rear of the tractor.  Being an over-eater like me helps too!  You will also need tire chains. If you are blading a gravel driveway you will need some "feet" on the blade to keep the cutting edge up off the gravel or come spring time you will get lots of quality time with a hand rake! :wallbanging:

Don't let a rating of 8 or 10 horsepower fool you!  Horsepower was rated different back then and those little engines will do the work. 

Be very careful because once the garden tractor bug bites you,  you can never have enough!  :thumbs:

Good to see another Missourian join!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Edited by Gtractor, February 17, 2014 - 06:22 AM.

• HANKG said thank you