Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

It Wasn't The Job That Almost Did Me In, It Was The Getting Unstuck.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:36 PM

Since Dad has been under the weather this winter, Ryan, KK and I have been bringing in the wood he had cut here and there on the property and keeping them in fire wood. We went to get a load today that was on the east 40 and worked a lot harder than we figured.

I drove over and back to break ruts. Dead dragging the trailer thru foot deep snow wasn't a good plan.
Then I hooked back onto the trailer, put a heater under the splitter engine and took the kids over. We made it over OK and also loaded and got moving again, but I went about 100 yards and got stuck. A little educated driving and we were under motion again, but it still wasn't easy. The snow reminds me of the beads in the keep dry packs that say 'do not eat'. It was also like walking in slippery sand.

Got 80% back to the house and got really stuck. I could back up and go to the same point, but that was it.
In the end, we had to unload the trailer, disconnect the trailer, three tries later the tractor was up on the flat. Ten we hooked chains (about 75' of it) and pulled the trailer up 15 feet at a time. Once we got the trailer hooked back up, the fun started.

We got the kids old sleds and pulled the whole load of wood up to where the trailer was now. Slip, slide fall forward, lose momentum, finally get there and unload 3 big pieces, repeat. Took a while.

Two trips later, the wood is up and ready to be split. The splitter fired right up and we split the load and put it in the basement. Few more days ahead on the wood. Feels good.

Oh, and no pics. I'm the one who usually takes them and the kids decided they didn't want pics of "Ready to snap Dad" You know, the one with the crazy eyes and the spittle frothing from his mouth as he expertly flung expletives in every direction.
  • olcowhand, DH1, rustyoldjunk and 14 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:13 AM

Sugary snow can be a real pain, to say the least. Just absolutely nothing to get a grip on and slipperier than old heck! Glad you got out of it without any more trouble. If you happen to drop a wrench or axe in it you can pretty well forget about it until spring--- voice of experience here, lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi All,

I'm with you Alan, had the same thing happen to us. 4x4 quad stuck, super cub to rescue,stuck super cub dad frothing at mouth wife and son leave dad now all alone with stuck equipment. Priceless. We all worked together and got everything freed up. I cant wait for spring.

Take care,

Mike

• MH81 and HANKG have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:45 AM

Just think of the memories you are making with the kids.  I've said it before, your kids will have stories to tell that will make other people say "huh?" because other kids don't know what it's like to do that stuff.  Someday in the distant future, Ryan will be setting on his front porch probably teleporting these thoughts to the kids in the neighborhood who don't even know what a piece of firewood looks like.  They'll walk away with good thoughts about this old guy down the block who tells these wild tales that are entertaining but, "are they true?"

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Just way too true!! Been there done that !! But with much bigger equipment. We got unstuck by putting loggs in the tire chains to use as lleverage to get bite through the snow.... Awful just awful....
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I can feel your pain Alan, but glad you all  persevered!  It's tough taking 4 times the energy normally required for a job.  Then there's the clothing factor....wait too long to peel off a layer or 2, then you freeze from sweating earlier.  Peel to early, and you freeze anyway!  Then there's the slipping & falling without advance warning.........

• MH81 said thank you

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Just think of how much Dad appreciates your work.  I have to say, you folks are a tough bunch.  You just kept going till he had the wood in and all ready to burn.  I would have been calling the "wood for sale" ads.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:00 PM

"Ready to snap Dad" You know, the one with the crazy eyes and the spittle frothing from his mouth as he expertly flung expletives in every direction.

Seems to be alot of that going around this winter. On our place if it's supposed to move it's stuck...if it's never moved (like the side of the hill over the water trough, it moved, now covering the water trough) Fence posts snapping off, doors and gates freezing closed and/or open, dependant upon which way you needed it, blowers that no longer go round and round, gas lines plugged with ice, power lines down, generator in the barn that the door is froze shut in about six inches of ice from a water  line that nobody even new was there before it broke etc. etc. 

I'm trying to figure out if I've become soft over the last few winters...or have I reached the age where I just don't like winter anymore !!

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:49 PM

God i hate winter, everything becomes 10 times harder and it is hard on everything, winter is also the most expensive out of all the seasons.

Glad you was able to make it out with out anything breaking and the kids learned how to group together new words :wallbanging:

I try not to envision you frothing like a red eyed snarling rabid animal welding a snow killing weapon but more along the lines of a snow throwing, barking two cylinder Jonny Popper that would leave the new high speed babbling snow blowers wetting their rubber panties (tires) :thumbs:

• olcowhand, MH81 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I've become soft over the last few winters...or have I reached the age where I just don't like winter anymore !!

I've got a long row to hoe then because I already dislike winter and I'm still a young(er) buck!

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:27 PM

I've got a long row to hoe then because I already dislike winter and I'm still a young(er) buck!

Few years below you and hate it too, fun to play in, sucks to work in.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Would this be a bad time to break out in song (Only the Strong Survive)? 

Been there and done that, threw away the T shirt to prove it!

I feel a lot better about breaking chain link on  the sway control on my 3 point hitch yesterday and having to drive across town to pick up a repair link before I could finish plowing out the lane. Incidently I picked up 3 to save a trip.

And now they are predicting another Blizzard to hit about 6:00 Am Thursday.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 18, 2014 - 02:55 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Two trips later, the wood is up and ready to be split. The splitter fired right up and we split the load and put it in the basement. Few more days ahead on the wood. Feels good.

Oh, and no pics. I'm the one who usually takes them and the kids decided they didn't want pics of "Ready to snap Dad" You know, the one with the crazy eyes and the spittle frothing from his mouth as he expertly flung expletives in every direction.

======================

LOL!!!!  Yeah, there aren;'t too many pictures of me in our family pics as I was the one always taking the pics.  Tried to get the wife to do it, but she always had some excuse... basically came down to she didn't want to learn how to use the camera...LOL.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Seems to be alot of that going around this winter. On our place if it's supposed to move it's stuck...if it's never moved (like the side of the hill over the water trough, it moved, now covering the water trough) Fence posts snapping off, doors and gates freezing closed and/or open, dependant upon which way you needed it, blowers that no longer go round and round, gas lines plugged with ice, power lines down, generator in the barn that the door is froze shut in about six inches of ice from a water  line that nobody even new was there before it broke etc. etc. 

The answer is "Yes",

at least if you're like me...

Smitty

• jpackard56 said thank you

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts