9 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:37 PM

As some of you may know, my brother (Farmerall) has several bolens, mostly 1050's. Since my AC B110 broke the last time I plowed with it, I had to find something else to plow with. We only have plows for four of our tractors. My AC B110, Farmall cub, Sears Suburban 12, and one plow for his three good 1050's. My B110 is having transmission issues so it is out of commission, my cub is having fuel leaking issues so I cant use it either (and the plow is buried in the shed under other stuff), my suburban has charging and fuel issues, and is blocked in. So I was forced to get one of my brother tractors running.

My first attempt was his one with the plow already on it, I put the charger on it and let it sit for a while. I came back, tried to start it and the starter would only make a loud humming noise and not even attempt to turn the engine, I gave up on it. I moved to the one that sits next to the shed (we are running out of room), put the charger on it and let it sit. Came back a little while later and couldn't get it to turn fast enough to fire. Last but not least, I went to his "good" 1050, his favorite one with full weights, ag's and the hydro lift. First I needed to get a belt for the lift, he had a "link belt" what I call it, you can put pieces in and take pieces out to make it what ever size you need. I got that sized up and put on and then went to work to get it started up. I managed to get my B110 over to the canvas carport that his good one calls home. I got it started up and hooked up to jump the tractor and it ran out of gas. I ended up having to pull the truck over and use it to get it going. The jumper cables were just long enough to reach and get it going. I moved the truck back and proceeded to take the plow off of the other 1050. I got the main part of my driveway plowed and was almost done with my neighbors driveway when I ran out of gas. I had to go get gas, came back and the battery was too week to start it again. So I had to go try to find the pull rope that was somewhere in the shed (I found it mostly frozen in roughly two inches of ice on the floor). I made a new one, went back to the tractor (one of the nice things about it is that my brother put a second pulley on the front incase the battery was weak) and got it started again. I finished their driveway and almost all of the parking area at the end of our driveway when the driveshaft coupler back by the transmission broke apart. So, until tomorrow when I can find one of his spare couplers and replace it, the tractor has to sit covered with a tarp on the side of the driveway.

I forgot to take pictures so I will take some tomorrow when I am fixing it.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:14 PM

D D D DANG!  You had a rough day!  :wallbanging:

I always try to be prepared but things can still sneak up on a fellow. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:31 PM

I hope the repairs are easy. At least you weren't on the second pass or something.
  • boyscout862 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#4 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sounds like you and your brother need to do some mantenece. All these tractors with all these problems. Time for repairs, they don't do much when you can't get them running.

• farmerall and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:37 AM

What a day !!!   Hope you guys get some of those tractors ready for the next snow

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Sounds like you need some new batteries!

Those Starter Generators will not last long with constantly jumping them and having them under extreme loads tying to bring a dead battery back to life.......

• farmerall and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Sounds like you and your brother need to do some mantenece. All these tractors with all these problems. Time for repairs, they don't do much when you can't get them running.

We need time and less projects lol. Right now we have  21 complete/project tractors combined. Out of those 21, 14 we have had running, some haven't ran for a year plus but most haven't been run in the last 6 months or so. We only use two to three regularly, most of the time it is my brother's Allis B110.

Edited by farmerall, February 17, 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#8 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like you need some new batteries!

Those Starter Generators will not last long with constantly jumping them and having them under extreme loads tying to bring a dead battery back to life.......

Its not that the batteries are bad, they just haven't been charged and run for a while.

#9 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:37 PM

I got the old coupler off after having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to get the driveshaft moved enough to slip the old coupler out. I finally figured out that I could rip the rubber and slip it off. I was then faced with the task of inserting a new, complete coupler in. After struggling with trying to pry the driveshaft far enough to slip it in, I decided to use the same way I got the old one off. I use a dermal with a cutting disk to cut a slot out of it and cut the rubber with a razor blade. In the end, I got the new one on and bolted down. I forgot to turn the key off when I used it to turn the drive shaft when I was removing the old one, so I couldn't get it to start and test how the new one will work with the modification.

On a completely different topic, one thing that I found that helps a lot with plowing slippery snow, especially with the stock front turf tires. I thought to mention this because I was having trouble with the front end slipping as the snow built up. Earlier this winter I picked up a set of tire chains at Tractor Supply that were intended to be used on a snow blower and put them on the front of my B110. They do wonders for traction when trying to steer on slippery or packed snow. I wish I had picked up another set while they were on clearance because of how well they work.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2173.JPG
  • 100_2174.JPG
  • 100_2178.JPG
  • 100_2180.JPG
  • 100_2181.JPG
  • 100_2182.JPG
  • 100_2175.JPG

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:50 PM

You got it, great job.

Thanks for the tire chains idea, i will have to try that.

• suburban 12 said thank you