• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:16 PM

We had more wind and snow last night that changed to rain before morning. I was on custodial duty at the church today so I headed out early so I could shovel/sand/salt where required. By that time it was beginning to freeze up. We had about 2" of slushy snow on the ground. It was really slippery on the way to the church with high winds, ice pellets pouring down and some of the roads not cleared. By the time I got there it was well below freezing and the ice pellets were turning back to snow. the wind was blowing it around pretty good. When I got back home the driveway was blocked by big snowballs that had rolled off the plow. I left the car out on the road and walked in. The snow was hard enough that you didn't dent it when walking. I got my warm clothes on and got the tractor warmed up. Lowered the blade and it just folded over on the trip springs. Tried a few times and no go. The 2320 weighs in at over 3k so it was tripping those blade springs easily. I then remembered that I could lock the blade. So I locked it, put it in 4wd and peeled the ice/snow mix off the driveway. I had to be careful of digging in and I made a few divots in front of the garage when the blade dug in. I'm glad I got that off the driveway because it would have been there for a while if it had frozen hard. 

I am getting a bit weary of all these storms and the bad driving. It was treacherous this morning. 

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I really feel for you folks fighting this stuff! Glad I live down here where that doesn't normally happen.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:14 PM

My wife and I spent the weekend in Indianapolis Indiana at a motorcycle winter get-together. (No we didn't ride)

On Friday around noon it started snowing and by dark, 5"+ fell. On Saturday night, another 2" fell. That was a total of 7" of snow in 1 weekend, and we haven't had that much snow at home for several years!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Glad you made there and back. Storms like that that can't make up their mind are rough.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Wow what did our grandparents do ??? This is the kind of winters I remember when I was a kid. Let it snow we need the moisture to fill up the lakes this spring.
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:14 PM

It sure has been a tough winter on everyone.  Even those of us that don't normally get the white stuff.  Don't get complacent and keep safety in mind. 

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:35 PM

i agree with you snow is good. it melts slowly and puts water deep in the ground, we have had a bit of a drought up here. but being farmers we can always complain about something weather related, 5 years ago you couldnt dig a 8 inch fence post without it being filled with water in 2-3 hrs last year it was dust down 5 ft and no water in it for a month so this winters snow should help out, better than having a bunch of rain running down the ditch

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:53 PM

I remember back in the 70's when the snow in the fields were over the fence post

snowmoble riders have to careful not to hit the fence wire

several did and over they went

haven't seen that must snow in a long time on the ground around here (central Iowa)

• JDBrian and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:20 AM

I remember back in the 70's when the snow in the fields were over the fence post

snowmoble riders have to careful not to hit the fence wire

several did and over they went

haven't seen that must snow in a long time on the ground around here (central Iowa)

I remember that era as having a lot of snow as well. That was back in my teens when i did a lot of snowmobiling and loved all that snow!

In the paper today I see some stats. We have had 15 major storms this winter and a total of 35 events which includes smaller snow falls that are handled by normal staffing levels. For major storms they bring in contractors and put all the municipal equipment out there with staff overtime. This combination of public and private services has kept our snow removal budget on track even though it's the worst winter in many years.

This week it looks like 3 snow events, all of them in the overnight hours starting tomorrow night with 4-6" and some wind. I find this is starting to grind on peoples nerves, especially those who have trouble dealing with the physical and or financial burden of keeping the snow out of the way. I am fortunate that I have equipment to deal with most of it.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:32 AM

Watching the local news  this winter is now the 4th snowest for our area.  Funny thing,, the top 2 are in the ninties and one  at #3 is in the sixties .

Edited by Alc, February 17, 2014 - 06:33 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Watching the local news  this winter is now the 4th snowest for our area.  Funny thing,, the top 2 are in the ninties and one  at #3 is in the sixties .

About the same here too.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:30 AM

More of the same last night. 4" of wet snow and ice pellets. Driving was bad again this morning. Another round coming tonight with a greater chance of freezing rain in the mix this time. The snow removal folks are not getting much sleep this week. It seems all the storms are coming through here starting late in the evening and going through the night. They are scrambling to get everything cleared by morning rush hour.