20 replies to this topic

#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 08:38 AM

I also clear the street for a ways in both directions so the plow guy has an empty plow when he gets to me. It takes me another 20 minutes, but worth every minute not to have to go dig the drive open in the morning..

+1 - This is key.  That bit of extra work will save time later although I don't clear both directions as they always plow from the same way.

We haven't had any significant snow while I've been in this house until this winter.  I'm not worried about weight at all but I've got bad ice dams now.  I'm not showing any sign of water backing under the shingles yet but it's only a matter of time.

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,521 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I went out and threw woodstove ashes on the roof snow to speed up melting. Its 25* and bright sunny. Clean snow reflects most of the light and heat so darkening the surface makes a big difference. I took some pictures too:

Piles along the driveway, it is a sheet of ice now:SD530689.JPG SD530688.JPG

The roof edge: SD530690.JPG

67 Nova Wagon and LGT145: SD530687.JPG

Ford 2000 under cover: SD530686.JPG

?, 1250 and HT23 and abunch of others: SD530685.JPG

GTs are protected with MCs. I plan to spend a couple of more hours of seat time to get to my firewood this afternoon. Tomorrow another 3 to 6 inches followed by rain. I'm rethinking my dislike of hot weather. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 17, 2014 - 12:43 PM.

• HDWildBill and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,655 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Be careful of those ashes!  We have to many stories down here of people putting their ashes out on the deck or throwing them in the woods and the next they know their house is on fire.  Everyone of them will say they thought all the embers were out.  I think it was Chipper Jones who through his ashes into the woods, about a month or so back, and set the woods on fire.  He was pretty cool about it and praised the fire fighters.  I think they got a few autographs out of it. :thumbs:   Be carefull!

The more I see pictures and hear about all that you all go through the more I'm glad we don't get that much down this way.  Although according to the experts that is changing.  I may have to move to Alaska to get way from the snow! :rolling:

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• 9,521 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Thanks Bill, those ashes are weeks old. If I throw out hot ashes, its only onto snow(I can then hear it hiss). It was funny when I threw the ashes onto the roof. Some of the large charcoal pieces came rolling back at me. I had too sweep them off of the deck onto the snow below.  

Here in CT, a jacka$$ killed three little girls and their grandparents several years ago by putting ashes in a paper bag and storing them in the mud room.

We are now waiting for todays snow to start. The front edge of the storm is about 80 miles away. They cut the forecast to 2" to 4". I'd be happy if it missed entirely. Good Luck, Rick

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Interesting topic.  We got a Micro Blizzard yesterday. Freezing Rain about 4 inches of snow (they predicted 1-2)and white out winds.

It had blown over and was sunny by 10AM. I had taken the day off to go to a funeral.

So after I took the wife back to work I plowed the snow. It got up to about 40 degrees.  It was the nicest time I have had moving snow all winter.

I never think about the snow load on the house roof, being on top of a hill with prevailing winds from the north and west  it all blows off.

The 1/4 mile lane runs east and west and if the snow is not pushed to the edge on the south side it will drift shut(pushing it north only adds to the drifting problem). So it is pushed it back as far as I can. Once the snow melts I blade the gravel back into the lane.

The Driveway off the lane rund north & south, if I don't push the snow way back from the drive it will drift in.

That has become more important, since the neighbot built a 3 car garage parallel to my drive just far enough back to drop all the snow in my drive.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 18, 2014 - 09:13 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• 9,521 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 06:54 AM

We got 4" yesterday. I spent from 1530 to 1700 plowing. Because of melting on Monday, it was all ice under the snow. Walking is pretty hazaedous. Supposed to get 40* rain today. Good Luck, Rick