Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snow Removal

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm just curious, with all the snow threads going on and the amount of snow falling, I hear on the news, I was just wondering what do you all do with all that snow you plow out of your driveways and walk ways?

Also I think it would be interesting to hear how you get snow off the roof.  I know I would be a nervous wreck on a roof with ice and snow up there.  Being a GA boy most of my life I've never had much to deal with in the way of snow and it wasn't until I came here that I realized there is seat time in the winter.

• hamman, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:33 PM

All the snow off my drive gets pushed into the yard beside it. And piled as high as I can.

Snow piles at home 2014 2014-02-15 001.JPG  Snow piles at home 2014 2014-02-15 003.JPG

Usually the wind takes care of the roof. Just one spot where it can pile up, but that is only one story. Which isn't bad to go up on.

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I blade my gravel driveway as narrow as I can so what little gravel I dig up is still in the driveway when the snow melts.  If we get a quick warmup I blade the ridge of snow back to the center of the drive.  That minimizes the gravel in the grass and keeps a crown to the road surface so water rolls off the side instead of washing gullies down the middle of the driveway.  I run gravel feet on the front Power King blade and the 3 point blade on my farm tractor has the cutting edge completely removed.

I have a very steep roof so snow weight has not been a problem.  Also, I live on top of a decent hill so the wind blows a lot of snow off the roof.  CRP fields on all sides of me make great neighbors but really let the wind howl.

#4 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,061 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:09 PM

I just raked my roof today...its a terrible chore. Theres about 27" of snow up there....quite deceiving feom the ground. I then run the blower to move what i rake down. Shoveling up tjere works, but my roof is just too darn steep. I tried for a while today and got wise whwn I took a slide and stopped at the gutter.

I usually plow and the piles get big...half goes across the street (private drive and no homes there). I have been blowing now for weeks and tje front yard is eyeball deep. The front slopes away from the house but my back yard holds water. Before a big that (did it today), I snowblow the back yard out into my woodlot so the water stays away from my basement. Conveniently, the dog crap goes with it!

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:10 PM

I drive over the front driveway with the first snows in it. I like to build up a base before I blow it due to the gravel. I normally have to plow the front drive at least once with the plow truck. The snow gets blown to the side out of the way. My wife tries to hand shovel the snow in front of the garage but some times if there is a lot he r back woun't let her do that. Our side yard has the drive to the new garage and I plow most of that snow to the back and side of the yard by the fence and garden and flower beds.  No pictures at this time will try to get some later.  As for the roof I normally don't worry to much about that due to the winds. I do have about a foot +- on the hose and attached garage now. We are built for the snow load so I hope I don't have to use the roof rake. The ew garage has about 6" - to 8" at theis time. Again the winds help keep some off of it.     Thanks. Roger.

• Gtractor, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I follow Gtractor's line of thinking.  I blade the snow back into the driveway when it begins to melt.  Puts 90% of the stone back where it belongs and helps the snow piles melt faster.  What I don't do is make it narrow.  I like my drive to be nice and wide and I deal with the stone later.  The trick to plowing is to first know your area and how much snow you get.  If you are in a snow belt, your best off to push the first plowing back as far as you can to allow room for future snowfalls.  This is particularly handy if you have a small, lightweight plow tractor.  Anymore I wait because I can always get some seat time with the high lift to move the piles back if I have to.  Wouldn't want to miss out on that fun.

As for the roof, well, my roof is not steep at all but I live up on a hill so it's rarely covered totally with snow.  Even when we got our last 30" snowfall, the roof was fine and even bare in spots.

• Gtractor, hamman, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 04:52 PM

I usually head straight out of the shed and out to the street, staying in the middle of the driveway with the snow blower chute angled to the left so the snow is blown into the woods. When I get near the road I go to the left of the light pole and then backup and go to the right.  I make several passes to the right blowing the snow onto the yard, and then I turn around and head back toward the shed; staying near the lawn but blowing across the driveway into the woods.   The side of the house faces the road, so after clearing out to the road I then clear up beside the house / side porch.  Driveway's double width, and triple near the shed. 

As for the roof; I've only used the snow rake once.  the sun usually takes care of what's on the roof.  

• hamman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 04:53 PM

This is the first time since the house was built ( 1982 ) that I worried about snow on the roof , other years the wind would keep it pretty much cleared , even those winters the had 24"+ what did stay  would melt in a week or so but this year it hasn't warmed up between snow storms. Today I put a step ladder on the deck and reached up as far as I could then used a electric leaf blower to expose as much of the shingles as possible . This roof area has the longest  rafter span the other roofs I feel are much stronger , I hope lol. At our church we have a wooden gazebo about 24' around that the roof collapsed the other night . 

#9 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I use a snow rake on my roof

having a metal roof when the snow done melt it freezes it the gutters

on warmers days I get a rock hammer and the rubber mallet and get the ice out of the gutters

hate to have the gutter fall

• Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 05:32 PM

I just came in from over 5 hours of snow moving. We had about 5" last night. I have been plowing with a 1973 Ford 2000 diesel with a FEL. I have over 500' of driveway and have places where I pile it up about 10' high. I have about 24" on the ground so the piles are big. I had to push the piles back to make room for the next storm.

It is not a real problem for me but, there are plenty of people in towns and cities that don't have room to put the snow. I feel sorry for the ones with sidewalks. They have to clear the sidewalk within 24 hours. They cannot throw the snow into the street. Then the town will send a plow truck around again and push snow from the street onto the sidewalk again. I've seen this too many times. 

I worked on shovelling snow off my roof Friday, Saturday, and today. The roof is steep. I work from a ladder and only clear what I can reach. I can't do it for long because it kills my arms. I'm afraid to use a roof rake because of the damage it can do to the shingles The areas that I had cleared on the south roof melted off fast today. I failed to put in the gutter heater last fall so I have to chip out the gutters too.

One good thing is that snow is known as poor mans fertilizer. Given a choice I'd rather plow snow than have too much hot weather. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:20 PM

there are plenty of people in towns and cities that don't have room to put the snow. I feel sorry for the ones with sidewalks. They have to clear the sidewalk within 24 hours. They cannot throw the snow into the street. Then the town will send a plow truck around again and push snow from the street onto the sidewalk again. I've seen this too many times. 

:yeah_that:            :ah_shoot:  :wallbanging:

• hamman and oldtimer have said thanks

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I think this is interesting on how everyone deals with the snow just a bit different.  It seems that it depends on what part of the country you are in.  I was curious to see what a roof rake looked like so I did a search.  It reminds me of a squeegee.  Man 5 hrs out plowing snow!  That's like getting rid of the leaves in the fall around here.

I sure hope you all are very careful on those ladders when you are clearing your roof.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldtimer have said thanks

#13 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:42 PM

roof rake made form PVC pipe 

http://www.instructa...-roof-in-minut/

• Alc, hamman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:22 PM

roof rake made form PVC pipe 

http://www.instructa...-roof-in-minut/

Watching that video I can see how your arms would get tired. 

• boyscout862 and oldtimer have said thanks

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:24 PM

I can push it between the house and the shed, back into the yard. If I do that however, it stays swampy for longer especially around the garden. I usually put it across the road into the wooded area with no houses. I also clear the street for a ways in both directions so the plow guy has an empty plow when he gets to me. It takes me another 20 minutes, but worth every minute not to have to go dig the drive open in the morning..

As for the house roof, I own a std length roof rake. I usually end up raking the one area that is 4-12 on the house as water would show up in that room. I think I finally found and sealed up the entrance as we haven't had that issue this year. (knock wood)
  • Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks