• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 01:38 PM

Add another reason to my list of why I hate wintertime. My 728 Simplicity has set outside, covered up. I decided to uncover and start it yesterday. It and ran great when I parked it , but would not start now. It had spark and all seemed well with the fuel system. Holding my hand over the end of the muffler , I can feel some pull as well as push. Obviously the exhaust valve is not sealing properly. I'll deal with it over the next few days.

simplicity728rhfrt_zps1483e4fc.jpeg

• hamman, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:57 PM

One time I had the same issue.  I simply pulled the spark plug, sprayed penetrating fluid towards the valve area, let it sit a while, then fashioned a bent small flat bladed screwdriver that I slipped into the spark plug hole & it reached the valve.  Once I found the top of the valve, it took almost no pressure at all for the valve to pop closed, and it's been fine ever since.

• Alc, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 04:55 PM

To add to Daniel's answer, which should get the job done, you can also pop the valve cover off and pry there.  I usually prefer that since otherwise you risk knocking carbon loose inside the combustion chamber which could in a worse case scenario scratch up the cylinder. 

Ben W.

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Excellant advice above. Now a little advice on how to prevent it. Use Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas to keep everything in the upper cylinder lubricated. When ever you are putting an engine away for awhile turn the flywheel until you feel compression building. This means both valves are closed and moisture can't get in through the muffler. I will usually run the engine out of fuel too. Good Luck, Rick

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I've been thinking about what all I could do without removing the head. I tried removing the muffler but cannot get a pipe wrench or vise-grips on it with the engine on the mower. I think I will remove the engine and deal with it then. I kinda need to have the engine off to clean the two belt pulleys anyway. I could never get the clutch/brakes to work well before. I think part of the problem was the rust on the pulleys preventing the belt from slipping as it should with the pedal depressed. Thanks.

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 05:38 AM

If you are going to remove the engine and head you should re-lap the valves while you are there, it only takes a few minutes and will pay out greatly.  Also if the engine is in good shape cut a thinner copper head gasket to put in there it will bump the compression a bit.  The two will give you better power and performance.

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I tried the Simplicity this morning and it cranked and ran great. The penetrating oil, actually chain lube that I put in it the other day must have done the job. I rode it around some and cranked it several times. I did the clutch/brake adjustments and it works well.

• olcowhand, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks