19 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel on my early 1556 T F 

I have the nut off,,lock washer and washer...  I don't see any roll pins going thru it .. There is a keyway at the top..

I've been putting nut penitrating oil  on it for a few days now, and with a different nut just short of the threads showing  giving it light taps every once in awhile and adding more oil every day.. That bugger is really on there.. The oil seems to be going all of the way to the bottom of the steering shaft,and dripping on the floor.. so it should be penitrateing 

I want to put a new bushing in it just under the steer wheel..  I looked at the other end,,,,bevel gear end and that looks to be roll-pinned in and looks harder to get to,so that wasn't a good idea.

Althou I wouldn't mind replaceing all the berrings--bushings at this time also

Does anyone have some good tips or tricks  up their sleeve ??      Thanks     sodi

• jabelman and JoeMopar have said thanks

#2 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Interested in the answers also, I have a Cub 1250 that needs a steering wheel transplant.

#3 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Here's a pretty well documented steering wheel struggle:
http://gardentractor...New-Mf12G-Owner

Not sure if my link will take you to the correct section but it is in that thread...somewhere :D

Starts somewhere around here: http://gardentractor...e-8#entry414847

Edited by MH81, February 17, 2014 - 08:09 AM.
Added direct link to info.

• MH81, sodisr and superaben have said thanks

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I have removed them with a wheel puller, and also a tool with  a bolt the same size as the one you took off welded to a five inch bolt screw it on to your steering shaft and give it a sharp rap with a ballpeen hammer wheel comes right off

#5 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks walkinman;;;

For some reason I couldn't  press Thanks on your'e post..

I guess I'll just be carefull and lots of oil..I don't think I can get a puller on mine cause the underside has a plastic sleeve that goes down over the steering wheel post...I never thought that the shaft would have been splined,, cause it doe's have a key way.

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Well some are splined and some aren't, your particular model I honestly have no idea but hopefully someone who does will chime in...
  • sodisr said thank you

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I have removed them with a wheel puller, and also a tool with  a bolt the same size as the one you took off welded to a five inch bolt screw it on to your steering shaft and give it a sharp rap with a ballpeen hammer wheel comes right off

What A'm I missing here Hank ??????????????

I'm going to put a threaded sleeve on it ( something like you connect 2 threaded rods togather ) It may give me more threads than just a bolt and more room for the  BFH  And patiance  and oil

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:03 AM

The steering shaft is not splined on this model

In theory it should just slide right off once the nut is removed. Any chance some knuckle head hacked something up or filled it with epoxy or adhesive? Any holes drilled into the steering wheel with a pin going through.

This should be fairly easy to remove especially since this is the plastic steering wheel, sounds like someone may have messed something up.

• sodisr said thank you

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:25 AM

It doesn't look like it's been off before  DOC.  but the nut was badly rusted.  ( No cap for years )   The nut came off OK..

Speaking of CAPS,,,,,,,I went to a box store hardware store,,, There I found all sizes of caps..They use them to fill plugs for computer desks..You know where the wires go thru the desk top and down,, to keep the desk neat and free of wires..I found one that fit perfect

• Newpaws493 and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:26 AM

The steering shaft is not splined on this model

In theory it should just slide right off once the nut is removed. Any chance some knuckle head hacked something up or filled it with epoxy or adhesive? Any holes drilled into the steering wheel with a pin going through.

This should be fairly easy to remove especially since this is the plastic steering wheel, sounds like someone may have messed something up.

These are not as simple as it looks there usely rusted on and I usly need to use a puller I made up to get them off.

• Bolens 1000, sodisr and superaben have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Since your steering wheel is plastic, buy yourself two muffler clamps that fit slightly bigger than you steering shaft. Dispose of the "U" type threads as they won't be needed. Put the two clamps around your shaft and insert bolts through the holes so that you can bolt them together loosely. Now you have something to use your gear puller on without making contact to you plastic steering wheel. If needed, apply a little heat as your turning tension against your steering shaft. I recommend installing the steering wheel nut back on the shaft before turning the puller bolt against it, as this will aid in keeping your steering shaft from mushrooming while the added tension or pressure is applied. Good luck!

• Alc, sodisr, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:10 PM

My friend got one off by drilling down through the woodruff key with a bit a little smaller than the slot. Obviously, you'll need to get the rest of the key out and replace it after you get the wheel pulled.

• sodisr said thank you

#13 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Those are a bugger to get off,with all of the tractors I have parted,hardly ever had a steering wheel come right off,you figure they have been on there for 30-40 years,keep trying what your doing and be careful,I'm sure you will get some good ideas from these guys
  • sodisr and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#14 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I got the steering wheel off   :dancingbanana:    Dr. B  You were right,,, tapperd not splined... with key way..

I'll try to take some pic of how I did it tomorrow .. I have been soaking it in liguid wrench  for days now and taping it with the nut on..

Then I put an extention nut on..( threaded rod connector ) and another 2" bolt..  Kinda like Hanks idea,,   Then I took my air impact,, took the chisel off and just the blunt end,there,,,I bumped the air to it..  First thing to happen was a peice of plastic flew off under the wheel.. kinda a flange around the wheel housing ..That gave me the Idea to put a shim under the wheel,,now that I had a flat space to work with.. More oil and burped it a few more times with pressure on the shaft...  WALLA   it came loose..

I have to say that,,,,,  I Think ,,, that patience and liquid wrench  did most of the work.. :worshippy1:   

Now to put bushings in,,,  glue the plastic piece back on,,, maybe an extra shim or two,, and on to the next piece of the puzzle..

Thanks  to all that took intrest in  pulling a steering wheel.. I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do it, and each has it's own Quirks  cause of the wheel its'self,,, But that's what makes this HOBBY so fun...Thou frustrateing sometimes,,time,,,patience,, and GOOD friends  to  discuss differant ways  of trial and error... 

Thanks again     sodi

• Alc, KennyP and HANKG have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:40 AM

Glad you got it off. Get some anti-seize to put on there before putting back together in case you have to go back in.