Ariens Gt 16 Helped Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MemphreDiver OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53714
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have an Ariens GT 16 . In a dilemna with 48" mower deck. PTO driven gearbox case exploded,kaboom ,scared the crap out of me as I was cutting at the time lol.Bought the tractor for 1500$ Cdn.(live in Quebec Canada) 48'' mower deck and 4' snowblower attachment.So far I have had Kohler motor repaired 650$,frame welding 300$ and 2 PTO shafts from ebay 500$ plus various tune ups etc... maybe 200$ worth . I have looked high and low for replacement gearbox but can only find new one's from 500 to 700 $ depending what site I go to . I can a new case(just the case,housing) for about 150$ Almost forgot ,the deck is in good shape .

I am far from being a mechanic but I am sure I could rebuild the gearbox , but wouldn't mind finding a gearbox .

So my question to you guy's is there a site or shop that I could not find on internet ?

I work crazy hours and not sure if I should keep it or sell it ,strip it and sell parts lol just frustrated at being able to find anything.

thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,684 Thanks
  • 39,059 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:56 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone has an answer for you. Maybe one of our sponsors has a gearbox?

#3 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:38 AM

A new gearbox assembly is not cheap. Last I looked they were $400+. you can find used ones on ebay once in awhile but most of those have stripped bolt holes and need rebuilt anywho.

Just do the math, what of your old gearbox parts are still useable, cost of replacement parts, your time and frustration to assemble all the pieces in a new box.

5 years ago, I bought a whole 48" deck for $100 all I had to do was hook it up to the tractor and start mowing :)

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,521 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:58 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Checkout our Manuals Section. I would look for a parts deck or an entire parts machine. Good Luck, Rick

#5 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,327 Thanks
  • 3,756 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forums!

I wish we had better answers for you. Like it was said above, a parts deck might be cheapest. 

#6 MemphreDiver OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53714
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Thanks alot guy's, I will go with rebuilding it .Coffee and a few cookies and I will be good to go,just glad I don't need it for at least 2 more months.Will let you all know how it turns out,I will be back lol