• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:35 AM

has anyone built a chrome plating tank, i have been told its along the lines of a derusting tank (getting old, had a brain fart and cant remember the correct name) apparently requires about 50 amp dc which could be supplied from a welder, and some other chemicals,i had a friend who was going to show me as his dad ran a chroming outfit and he was the gopher there, but he passed away in a truck accident , any thoughts. and yes i do know some of the chems are toxic and the fumes deadly, so i intend to do this outside in the summer . thanks for your thoughts

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I did a little research on this several years ago. The deal is that the heavy metals that are caused during the process are very hard to dispose of and it takes a manufacturer with the proper setup to deal with them.

As for as close as most people will get, here is a great article by Olcowhand on something he found and uses.
http://gardentractor...in-your-own-r63
  • boyscout862, Newpaws493, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I knew someone who did chrome plating and the chemicals involved are restricted and expensive.  You had to have some sort of license to purchase them.  Of course the laws may be different in Canada.

Also, you'll need more than one tank as chrome plating is a several step process.  Clean, neutralize, copper plate, nickel plate, chrome plate. 

• boyscout862, farmer john, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Caswell Plating sells chrome plating kits as well as the "copy chrome" kit that I have, but is PRICEY!  Chroming is not for the average guy, including me.  If one got caught dumping the chemical behind his shop, someone would be in BIG trouble!   Once you bought the required chemicals, you may be on a "watch list" somewhere!

• boyscout862, Newpaws493, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 03:17 PM

thank you for your responces i think caswell copy chrome my be the way to go.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#6 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Be prepared to do hours of prep work,sanding,polishing and more polishing,the part you want to plate must look like chrome before you plate it as the plating will not hide or cover a flaw in the prep work.That is a huge part of the cost in having a plater do the job.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Be prepared to do hours of prep work,sanding,polishing and more polishing,the part you want to plate must look like chrome before you plate it as the plating will not hide or cover a flaw in the prep work.That is a huge part of the cost in having a plater do the job.

SO true!

• Bill 76 said thank you

#8 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:54 PM

At one time I was thinking of getting into plating here you have to dance with the EPA on ever aspect of the business. Denied me because I live in flood plane even though I live on the other side of a 100 year flood levy.