• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Well, it's official...I have spent more money on gas this winter blowing snow with the GT then I spent mowing lawn last year.  Never thought that would happen.  Mow my lawn perhaps once a week if I have time...but blow snow sometimes twice a week or more.

Blew snow yesterday, and after more snow today, will have to blow more tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong...love every minute of it (unless it is windy and below 0)...BOYS AND THEIR TOYS!!!  Will never get tired of smiling and having a good ol' time on the seat of any of my GT's.  Hope you all are having as much fun as I am!!

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:50 PM

I wish I knew you were having so much fun before we had the snow down here.  I would have invited you to come down to Virginia,

Ben W.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:13 PM

since I retire I am blowing and blading the more snow this year

doing several of the neighbors drives and sidewalks

one is a fireman that works two days than off three

couple old retired neighbors and a few others

now I with go over several blocks away and do a friends driveway, he is not able to get around to good these days

who is counting the gallons of gas when you are having fun

Edited by lyall, February 15, 2014 - 11:13 PM.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:44 PM

I usually use 10 gallons of gas to blow snow, this year we have used 15 combined with the plow truck. We normally use 10 gallons of gas in the summer for mowing. We have had a hard snow winter this year. Just looked at the banks and they are are about 6' tall in the side yard and 3' + along the front drive. Hope it don't all melt at once. If it does I may be flodded out in the side yard.   Roger.

• boyscout862 and allisb10page have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Have used very little this winter. Ryan has gone thru a few gal keeping the Parents place open.
  • hamman and allisb10page have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:23 AM

WOW!   10 gallon of gas for mowing all summer?   That would be great.  I use 5 gallon each time I mow.  

:(

• Alc, hamman, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:03 AM

WOW! 10 gallon of gas for mowing all summer? That would be great. I use 5 gallon each time I mow.
:(

Roger only mows twice a year... :poke:

With my personal little postage stamp here, I would say I use less than Roger by a shot. Up at the farm, we use gallons each time, but IDT we've ever kept track as it never seems to all get done at one time with all life's interruptions.
  • Gtractor, Alc and hamman have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've now used more diesel to plow snow than the gas I use to mow and rototill each year. I've got several hours of plowing to do today again. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman and allisb10page have said thanks

#9 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:52 AM

My Allis B-10 doesn't use much per time, about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon.  Unfortunately a little more was used early in the winter.  I had to adjust the carb since it was set a little rich, and noticed that it was missing one or the governor springs (was curious why the rpm's were lower than normal).  After the adjustments, she runs smooth and steady.  I usually blow an area equivalent to 12' wide by 100' long altogether.  Looking forward to tilling that much in the spring!!  COME ON SPRING!!

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I haven't really kept track this winter but an educated guess would put me at having used 25-30 gallons of gas so far. The Sears does pretty good on fuel but the 782 gets thirsty when you're really working that blower. I also do a whole lot more than just my driveway and it's a lot of seat time so I can't complain about the fuel I've used :D

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:11 AM

The hardest part of keeping gas around is keeping the boy from taking it for his truck and AC farm tractors.

I just saw a story about higher gas prices??? Not sure why but it was supply and demand thing. Now I had just read another story and heard the same thing on the news that travel was down this year so fas as the winter has keep vehicles from traveling and people are staying home. We are currently at $3.39 gal for gas and $ 4.29 for diesel. At this point I am glad for the fuel savings with my GTs.

I just picked up a Troybuilt 48" LT from a friend and we are going to make that our primary mower and give the " Vintage" GTs a break from mowing this summer. I normally mowe about every week during the spring and early summer. As it gets warmer and the rains are less and less it cuts down to every other week or week and a half.    Stay warm stay safe and  Think Spring!        Roger.

• Gtractor and allisb10page have said thanks

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Oh man...I've refilled the 6 gallon can at least a dozen times.  I use diesel in the summer, and don't go through a 5 gallon fuel can.

#13 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Now it looks as if I am just going to have to buy more gas.  The weatherman is talking about us getting up to 8" of snow tonight.  With wind no less!  Well, that means more seat time, and even though I still feel like a kid in a candy store on my GT blowing snow....enough already!

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Does your B10 do a decent job blowing snow ?  I keep kicking myself for not buying a Simplicity at a swap meet last year that had a blower , nice deck and tires , right there as I first looked at it , when I went back it was sold :wallbanging:

#15 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 07:49 AM

This is definitely a fact! I use maybe 4 gallons of fuel all summer from March to November. Then come December it started.... And just in the last week alone I've burnt over 5 gallons!! And this is diesel fuel for my Kubota powered Ford LGT 165. But I'm not complaining because I like the seat time. And after this season is over Iwill have a new project to work on!!!! A HEATED ENCLOSED CAB!!!! Only cause im gettin board and wanted one for while now .