Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Recently I was working on a flat tire and found a leak in the side wall.  It was just a pin hole leak, I decided to put a tube in it.  So I broke the bead and pull one side off the rim and put the tube in then proceeded to put the tire back on the rim. At this point I noticed that the rubber around the bead was dry rotted but all in all the tire still looked good.  When I went to put the tire back on the rim I could not get it much past 1/2 back on.  I tried putting a heater in the area, of course tire lube and even dish washing soap.  My son, retired army ranger that has continued his physical fitness, came over and he couldn't get it any further.  All in all we spent 3 days trying to get that tire back on.

We finally decided to let my son take it to work (he works for the county road dept managing inmates) where they tried to get it to go on.  They finally ended up using diesel  fuel and a blow torch to get it on. According to my son they blow it back on, he said they do it with the some of the bigger tires.  I have never heard of doing this and wonder if any of you had?

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:44 AM

New one here Bill.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Never had this problem and never heard before, Bill. kratz.gif

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I call this tractor Christine.  Every time it comes in, it is a nightmare to get it fixed and going again.  The guy who owns it loaned it to a member of his church.  I'm not sure how long this guy had it but my customer had to go and get it back and when he did he found it chained to a pole with the hood up, air filter off, dirt and grass hanging out of the carburetor, low on oil.  So the nightmare just continues with this tire.  I'm going out in a few to install it on the tractor and then check out and make sure everything is working.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 12:04 PM

i heard off roaders doing similiar with a ratchet strap and lighting wd40 to get the bead on. Sounds sketchy and good way to get hurt

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yep, spray start fluid in and throw match at it. Gas or other exploding stuff too. Never tried. Mine just go to treat shop, let them muscle it on. Worth the fee to me.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 12:27 PM

I tried the starting fluid trick on a truck once. It worked but it was scary. I thought that your problem was getting the bead back on the rim. Sometimes there is a trick that depends on how far to push the first part of the bead inward. Some offset rims that I've chaged were too difficult from onside but easy from the other. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Oh, I've done the ether trick a couple of times but only when I've exhausted the other ideas. It can be a little spooky, but proper precautions like a face shield and either an apron or coveralls.
I thought they were using diesel and torch to soften the tire to make it stretchier so it would go over the rim.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure exactly what they did. All Mike said it they used some Diesel fuel and a torch to get it on.  Now I that I think of it I believe the Mythbusters did something like that to pop the bead.  I'll have to check that out.   The tire looks non the less for wear

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:45 PM

I've seen it done setting the bead against the rim but not getting the tire on.....interesting to hear how he did that.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Never heard of blowing a tire back on the rims.  As others, I'm familiar with blowing to seat a bead.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Never heard of blowing a tire back on the rims.  As others, I'm familiar with blowing to seat a bead.

same here  The fact that you put a tube into the tire  would make it so the bead would go right up. I'd be afraid of catching the tube on fire/blowing a hole in the tube  meaning youd have to take it apart and put another tube into it

#13 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Did you break the tire loose from both sides of the rim prior to installing the tube? I assume you did as it would be difficult to install.

Lots of muscle isnt going to help install a tire. I have ruined tires and bent rims tring to force a tire on. Having the tire free on both sides allows the tire to move and flex more.

Edited by bread320i, February 16, 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Did you break the tire loose from both sides of the rim prior to installing the tube? I assume you did as it would be difficult to install.

Lots of muscle isnt going to help install a tire. I have ruined tires and bent rims tring to force a tire on. Having the tire free on both sides allows the tire to move and flex more.

Yes, I broke the bead on both side and I tried to make sure all was free.  Two days before I had done the same thing with a set of wheels off another tractor and didn't have any problems.  The wheel is now back on the tractor and all is well.