#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:39 AM

No doubt on the injector pump but is the engine surging and/or popping when off load ?

Puffs of black smoke means overload or unburn fuel leading me on to dirty injector nozzle or air leaking in someweres, fuel lines, injector sealing washer in the head or gasket around the pump itself, that would mess with the pump and gov.

#17 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Engine runs smooth as silk and really sounds nice under a mild load it almost sounds like its a 6 cylinder!! Really smooth. No surging or skipping. Like I said the pump has been opened and this is surely going to be an issue. This is probably why I got it so cheap ?? They couldn't figure it out.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 494 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Have you checked the air filter on it?  Had a few of the 20-45 hp compacts come into work that had a plugged filter and it would blow smoke or sometimes loose power.  I work in Templeton at a tractor repair shop if you want to have us look at it when you done using it we can.        Stewart

#19 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Stewart you work at Henshaw services ? You folks plan on taking on any new rigs?

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Also, if it has the inner smaller air filter, many times it isn't replaced, thinking the outer is all needing replaced.  The inner on our Cat loader looked fine, but when I replaced the outer main filter, the filter gauge still locked out.  I took the inner out & even though it looked fine, it was almost completely clogged with fines.  Replaced it & all was good again.

• Alc said thank you

#21 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 494 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Stewart you work at Henshaw services ? You folks plan on taking on any new rigs?

Yes I do.  If the economy turns around and we can find a better tractor company to deal with than the people at MTD/Cub Cadet we will.  As it is we just do service and repairs on pretty much any tractor that comes in that we can get parts for.  Which is most of them.    Stewart

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 05:51 PM

I thought it might be the air filter too so I looked at it and it was fIne, I even tried it with out it. All it was was louder. Nothing changes when it puffs the smoke and it is very random.
I'll be using it again tomorrow morning as we just got another blast.

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 12:03 AM

I thought it might be the air filter too so I looked at it and it was fIne, I even tried it with out it. All it was was louder. Nothing changes when it puffs the smoke and it is very random.
I'll be using it again tomorrow morning as we just got another blast.

Begining to sound like a burp in the system, Alan's Ford did that after rebuilding the top end, engine preformance was fine, turned out to be air bubble weeping in every now and then, not sure were or why.

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well I was playing around thisam and decided to play with the governor stop screw.. I turned it in and had no throttle at all. Then i turned it out a bit and got throttle back but real lazy. So i turned it out a bit more and it is even better. Now tomorrow i will turn it out just a bit further and see if i can get a touch more out of it. It is definately a govenor/ ajustment issue but the location makes it impossible to mess with while the engine is running as it is right beside the waterpump pulley and i like my fingers!!
Stay tuned for updates....
  • olcowhand, Alc, HowardsMF155 and 2 others have said thanks

#25 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Well Ipplayed with the old buzzard some more today, and boy will that thing roll coal ridiculous!! I'll post a video later of it. Long story short I think I have it pretty good now. Video coming soon.

Edited by skyrydr2, February 22, 2014 - 01:51 PM.

• Alc, HowardsMF155, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#26 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:28 AM

That's the most coal I've ever seen rolling out of a small diesel! It looks cool but I think you need a stack if you're gonna keep that up lol

#27 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 494 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:18 PM

I just watched the video and it looks like the pump was out of adjustment for a long time so it got really loaded up.  It should clear up after a few good hard runnings to clean it out.                     Stewart

• trowel said thank you

#28 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 05:31 AM

I just watched the video and it looks like the pump was out of adjustment for a long time so it got really loaded up.  It should clear up after a few good hard runnings to clean it out.                     Stewart

LOL you would havenever cleared that up LOL.... That was done through adjustment to the governor stop screw that internally controls the stroke the governor can pull on the fuel rail/ cam. Thats what happens when you turn it too far.
I continuef to adjust it until i got it to where it only smokes a little when its at full governor stroke, that was rediculous .
  • trowel said thank you

#29 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well just a little update: I had to replace the battery in it as it would not hold a charge anymore... Well it was only 8 years old too??LOL  

Anyways the one it set me back $110 but has 825cca at 0 degrees and 1000 cca at 32 degrees !! And boy does it start now !!

With the new lift pump it idles like a kitten purring. And has plenty of power now too. :thumbs:  

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Nice to see you got it figured out. I'm wondering if your adjusting the governor or the fuel rack? Didn't think the governor would increase the fuel flow, only the they high speed setting.