20 replies to this topic

#1 ariensowner OFFLINE  

ariensowner
  • Member No: 53671
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 07:18 PM

New to GT Talk...

I have an Ariens GT 20 with hydrolic steering that I purchased last Fall. The only issue that I have is with the hydrolic steering. At a dead stop (tractor not moving but running) the steering turns to the limit distance both left and right fine. But, while moving trying to mow in a straight line  I must continually turn the steering wheel in either direction to try to keep it on track and never reach the turning limit. in other words the steering wheel continues to turn. Any thoughts?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ariensowner !!     I can't  help you with your problem but sure some member will  be able to

• ariensowner said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 10:24 PM

On an MM big tractor I had with power steering the wheel never returned to the same spot each time, so must be some "play" in them somehow. It DID stop and make that big whine when turned to each side tho. It also allowed turning but hard when tractor wasn't running.  I would bet some valve in the column unit is sticking?  If you have just a cylinder that pushes on standard linkages on axle, would think everything is in that box on steering column. Not much help here, but just what I have observed. Sure their must be manuals to buy/download or maybe need one for just the steering option as sometimes happens. Check the files here. Not sure if their is Arriens around any more. If is, try them for manuals on their site?  Might just check fluid levels and maybe change too for first try. Probly never been done in it's life.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I can't think of any one thing to look for. However, most of the components Ariens used were also used by other brands. 

Any Massey or John Deere guys with ideas?

• Alc and ariensowner have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:15 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like it is bypassing fluid somewhere. Hope someone with more experience with these will chime in soon!

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Kenny is spot on! Check your steering cylinder I think its bypassing the internal piston seals. Easy check ; turn your wheel in one direction only and at the end of the cylinders stroke remove the steering hose and see if oil comes out of the cylinder when you try turning it against the stop. If it comes out the hose your valve is bad, if it comes out the cylinder the packing on the piston is bad or the piston came off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1392475791357.jpg

• sacsr, Cvans, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:18 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#8 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have gotten some good advice already!!

#9 ariensowner OFFLINE  

ariensowner
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 02:20 PM

New to GT Talk...

I have an Ariens GT 20 with hydrolic steering that I purchased last Fall. The only issue that I have is with the hydrolic steering. At a dead stop (tractor not moving but running) the steering turns to the limit distance both left and right fine. But, while moving trying to mow in a straight line  I must continually turn the steering wheel in either direction to try to keep it on track and never reach the turning limit. in other words the steering wheel continues to turn. Any thoughts?

Boy, I wasn't expecting a response so soon. I'll give all suggestions a try. What is odd is that it only happens when the tractor is moving.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Boy, I wasn't expecting a response so soon. I'll give all suggestions a try. What is odd is that it only happens when the tractor is moving.

That could be a fluke related to taking the hydraulic flow from the hydro trans. I know on my much older S-16, lifting attachments will change between driving and at a stand still.

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,494 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I have two Bolens GT2000's with hydraulic steering and they both do the same thing. At first it kind of bothered me that the steering wheel never returned to the same place but now I don't think about it. From what I have read it seems to be a pretty common phenomena and is probably why they don't use this type of steering on autos. Talked with people who own full sized tractors with this steering and they say it's a pain when going down the road.

I checked for leak-by at both fittings on the steering cylinders (good idea) and found nothing. Guess I learn to live with it seeing as how it doesn't take much to compensate for it.  

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 06:42 AM

:welcometogttalk:
Thinking the guys already nailed it, but is it possible the system is low on fluid and that could cause it?

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:11 AM

One question I have is ; can you steer the machine when its not running? If not then you have a old designed steering valve ( no bIG deal you just need to compensate as you are doing now) the steeringvalve in my machine allows me to steer even if there is no oil flow .
I have no drift at all. If your steering valve is square and made up of a pile of thin plates it may be a drifter, as these are a rotary valves and dont have the ability to "pump" fluid like a gerotor style( more expesive).

#14 ariensowner OFFLINE  

ariensowner
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 08:24 PM

One question I have is ; can you steer the machine when its not running? If not then you have a old designed steering valve ( no bIG deal you just need to compensate as you are doing now) the steeringvalve in my machine allows me to steer even if there is no oil flow .
I have no drift at all. If your steering valve is square and made up of a pile of thin plates it may be a drifter, as these are a rotary valves and dont have the ability to "pump" fluid like a gerotor style( more expesive).

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I looked through the manual and it appears that two of the hydrolic lines may be reversed. I know that the hoses have been disconnected at some point because according to the manual, my tractor model number and serial number never came with a 20 HP motor. Plus the motor model number is M20S. S for Simplicity. I'm reluctant to just reverse the two lines for fear of damaging the unit. But Ariens informed me that the diagram in their manual is correct s I guess I'll try it. A new steering unit is over $600. 

#15 ariensowner OFFLINE  

ariensowner
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I have two Bolens GT2000's with hydraulic steering and they both do the same thing. At first it kind of bothered me that the steering wheel never returned to the same place but now I don't think about it. From what I have read it seems to be a pretty common phenomena and is probably why they don't use this type of steering on autos. Talked with people who own full sized tractors with this steering and they say it's a pain when going down the road.

I checked for leak-by at both fittings on the steering cylinders (good idea) and found nothing. Guess I learn to live with it seeing as how it doesn't take much to compensate for it.  

Yeah, mine is a pain when on the road.

• Cvans said thank you