Lights On A Chief 1000?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 40803
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Is there anyway to do it and not have it look horrible?  I use mine primarily for snow blowing (and she does it like a champ, just handled over a foot of the stuff) and it would be nice to see when I'm working at night.  Thats when I usually do my work and having the road in front of my house and tons of inconsiderate driveways its not exactly wonderful.

• hamman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,660 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Can you post a pic of the tractor front so we can see what you have there? Maybe someone will have a brilliant idea for you. I came up with a headlight today from a Honda Odessy, has hi/lo beam. Now to figure out how to use it.

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I wondered the same thing for my Jacobsen 1200 Super Chief. I came to the conclusion that if I were to do that I would buy a couple of the cheaper LED lights and mount them on the blower on a bracket that spans the blower. I was looking at mine and it can be done but I not one that likes to drill holes where they are not now. I am still contemplating this. Good Luck with your project and show us some pictures if you do it.        Roger.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Wheelhorse and maybe others have at times made a pipe mount that fastens to front frame in front of engine or just behind grill area maybe, that is one piece. It is kinda V-shaped, but with flattened area on bottom of V that reached accross the frame and mounted to it with bolts or U-bolts over pipe. Up on ends of pipe, a welded on flat stock with hole for light mounting. Any little light with a stud would work in the hole there.  This keeps the holes from being made in the metal hood and you can design with the arms longer or shorter or wide or narrow as to your liking. Any of this make sense?  Check wheelhorse pictures.

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,174 Thanks
  • 2,253 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 05:04 AM

Does your grill have the headlight cutouts like this? $_12.JPG

My old Ford 100 had the Aluminum grill with a Tin headlight panel and 2 small square headlights.I've seen a few with round headlights but most had the small squarish headlights.

$75.00 for the round headlight panel since they are harder to find?

$35.00 for the square headlight grill.

Personally I would find a set of the square headlights and cut your own holes if you have the Tin headlight panel.

These will work pretty good.No need to weld headlight mounting studs if you cut the holes tight enough.These clip in and don't look that awe-full bad either.

It all depends on how old your Jac 1000 is if it will have the Cast headlight panel or the Tin headlight panel.Pics of your GT would really help.

Edited by EricFromPa, February 15, 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,511 Thanks
  • 7,376 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Another thought would be to make a cab with lights on top to give even better vision. The protection from blowing snow is nice too. Please let us know what you come up with. Good Luck, Rick

#7 stiemmy OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Gettysburg, There are holes on either side of the grill surround at the top that you can mount the lights to. You can, with proper fitting get the standard run of the mill 12v floods to fit inside of the grill surround. You will have to loosen the fuel tank straps, and adjust tank a little for the floods to fit. Also you will have to bend the brackets on the lights a little too. China Freight carries those lights, and have seen them on sale from time to time for 7.99

I have a light tin, and a set of lights with no lens's that I might sell?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1378493945149 (1).jpg

Edited by stiemmy, February 16, 2014 - 11:43 AM.