#91 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:12 PM

I like those tractors cool.

My Granpa first ordered the JD A in the spring of 1947 but because of WWII there was a steel shortage so they had to wait till late spring of 1949 to take possession of the tractor. My Dads first tractor was a super MD Farmal he was red till 1965 then bought a 4020 diesel the rest as they say is history. How about you , always Massy in your sheds ? Oh by the way how is the lay of the land where you are in Indiana?

That's neat! My dad bought his first tractor in '84, a MF 1155 and ever since then we've had Massey. His first combine was a Massey too, a MF 540. When my dad was growing up, they had other makes through the years(JD, Oliver, Ford and, before he retired, my Grandpa had a Case). My dad learned to plow with his Grandpa's Ford 9N.

The land here is pretty flat. We do have some small hills. They can be quite rocky(not good for the machinery). These pictures will help show what the land is like.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_9088.JPG
  • 100_9097.JPG
  • 100_5456.JPG
  • 100_5460.JPG
  • 100_5566.JPG

#92 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:19 PM

The land here is pretty flat. We do have some small hills. They can be quite rocky(not good for the machinery). These pictures will help show what the land is like.

Hills?  Those aren't hills!  You oughta come down here & ride with me bush hogging off some of my really steep hills.  There are places I know I will start sliding, so I always go down those areas with a lower throttle so I can advance the throttle when it starts sliding to maintain somewhat of control.  My bro-in-law rode with me one day, but he wants no part of it anymore!  :D

• Gabriel said thank you

#93 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hey, I didn't know Massey had GREEN combines?????   :smilewink:

• Gabriel said thank you

#94 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:27 PM

No, they don't. Other than my dad's first one, we've had JD combines. What kind do you have?

#95 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:29 PM

No, they don't. Other than my dad's first one, we've had JD combines. What kind do you have?

John Deere 7700    :rolling: 

• Gabriel said thank you

#96 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Nice pics ...I Love those flat fields .That would be awesome to till,plant and harvest.  I m jealous  

Daniel sounds like it's a bit rolling in your area.  When do you usually head to the field for planting corn  how bout your first cutting of hay ?

Just curious

Thanks much

Rob..

Edited by rdehli, February 24, 2014 - 09:44 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#97 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:44 PM

It is really neat to find out how farming is done throughout the country.  

Gabriel,  Daniel. You guys have much if any snow?  

When will the co ops start spreading P & K in your areas?

• Gabriel said thank you

#98 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:09 PM

rdehli, of course depending on ground temps, usually last week of April is the absolute earliest to plant corn.  Early May usually.  Mid May for hay, but right now we have no alfalfa or any other true hay fields, and just roll pasture fields after removing the cattle to another field for a while.  It's corn silage we rely on mostly.  Still, we roll 100 to 150 rolls of grass hay per year.  I think many start fertilize in March, but we wait till planting time ourselves.  Not much snow down here in Ky.  Some years almost none at all, other years we may get 2' total.

• Gabriel said thank you

#99 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:30 PM

I would have guessed that you would be planting corn at least a couple weeks earlier than that .  Just from how far south you are from me.  We usually start last week of April or so first cutting of hay is  late MAy, then every 28-34 days for our larger dairy farmers .  Most try for at least 4 crops sometimes 5.  

We start spreading fertiliser mid to late March.  But not this year, more than likely APril before we get to excited.  Our dairy farmers rely heavily on corn silage too.  It's definitively king.  

We have over 2 feet of snow in most places.   Need some warm weather, but not to warm.  .Got 4 feet of frost in places.  According to grave diggers and city water officials.  

Edited by rdehli, February 24, 2014 - 10:37 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#100 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:54 PM

It is really neat to find out how farming is done throughout the country.  

Gabriel,  Daniel. You guys have much if any snow?  

When will the co ops start spreading P & K in your areas?

Yes, this has been nice talking with fellow farmers! We don't have much snow left here. The piles from pushing it of the drives is mainly it. The co-ops will start spreading here any time if the ground freezes and the ponds of water go down. We make our first hay in June.

#101 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I look forward to see spring , getting equipment ready photos as soon as the weather permits.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#102 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Daniel, Gabriel

have either one of you guys ever been to the Louisville Farm Show. The largest show of its kind in North America? Being you guys are so close
  • Gabriel said thank you

#103 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Daniel, Gabriel

have either one of you guys ever been to the Louisville Farm Show. The largest show of its kind in North America? Being you guys are so close

Many times, but not much there applies to a small farmer like me.  I'm just an hour's drive from the show.

• Gabriel said thank you

#104 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:16 AM

I would have guessed that you would be planting corn at least a couple weeks earlier than that .   

Well, we used to, but the volatility of the weather has pushed us later most of the last few years.  Plus, it seems if we do try earlier, a cold snap almost always follows & we have too much replant to do.  Better to wait a bit.

• Gabriel said thank you

#105 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:33 AM

yes it is always better to plant once vs twice   we have seen that happen up here the last few years too.  Some guys trying to get a jump start on the neighborhood , then they end up with either a poor stand or replanting. 

• Gabriel said thank you