• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 02:45 PM

I really have no good inside place to paint so it was blasted primed and painted all outside underneath my hige maple tree. It was painted in July of 2010 then left for a good month in pieces . I used IH Federal yellow and a 1958 ford wimbeldon white which is a near match to the old IH white. in my mix I also used a reducer and hardener for durability. I was really impressed with the sheen and my rookie painting skills.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#77 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 02:57 PM

I would love to tackle one of my Dads 2 cyclinders  someday it might take me a year or 2 but it would be worth every hour spent on it. 

• Gabriel said thank you

#78 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Those brochures are really neat.  I really like the cultivator section.  Does anybody still do that?  I remember as a kid learning to cultivate on the 1952 John Deere B  in first gear as slow as the tractor would go.  2 rows at a time.  Later Dad got a 4 row front mount on the 720 Diesel John Deere on that one you could pick up 2 rows or all 4 rows , really neat for point rows.   I never got to run the rear mount,  Dad got it after I was grown up and moved out .   funny how times change.

Thanks for sharing your memories of cultivating! My dad use to do some cultivating, if it was needed. It's been quite a few years since we have. It was fun riding along when he did. We still have the IH cultivator, just in case we have a need for it sometime. It is a 3-pt. mount. In an MF magazine I get, I saw a picture of someone using a Massey Harris tractor and mid-mount cultivator. I think he said they still use it to cultivate 75 acres.

#79 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I really have no good inside place to paint so it was blasted primed and painted all outside underneath my hige maple tree. It was painted in July of 2010 then left for a good month in pieces . I used IH Federal yellow and a 1958 ford wimbeldon white which is a near match to the old IH white. in my mix I also used a reducer and hardener for durability. I was really impressed with the sheen and my rookie painting skills.

That's like us. We have a wood stove in our shop, but on the really cold days, it's does not get it warm enough to paint. Sometimes we'll do some small paint jobs or touchup work, but it's really not the right temperatures that the paint manufactures recommend. We still need to finish insulating the ceiling and garage doors. Once that's done, maybe that will help make it warm enough for painting. We do most of our painting in the warm months(and doing it outside is better because of the fumes).

#80 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:20 PM

no one cultivates over this way any more. The corn grows so fast. One day its 5 leaves tall then its waist high or so , we barely have time to spray twice with the pull type sprayer before your bending
it over. Of course when we were younger { kids} the summer lasted forever now its just a few short
weeks, and your running your tail off trying to get things done.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#81 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:23 PM

I would love to tackle one of my Dads 2 cyclinders  someday it might take me a year or 2 but it would be worth every hour spent on it.

Thanks for all the pictures!!! I like the one you chose for your member picture! Your paint job looks great!!!

What kind of 2 cylinders does your dad have?

#82 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:24 PM

I Totally agree on painting out side in the summer months.  You really do not have to worry about over spray, or fumes, just an occasional bug that decides to put some texture in your project.  My Shop is too small for inside painting , any time of the year.  espically in the winter with ventilation issues, really do not need to loose any more brain cells   etc...  

• Gabriel said thank you

#83 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I Totally agree on painting out side in the summer months.  You really do not have to worry about over spray, or fumes, just an occasional bug that decides to put some texture in your project.  My Shop is too small for inside painting , any time of the year.  espically in the winter with ventilation issues, really do not need to loose any more brain cells   etc...

Yep, those good old bugs landing in your fresh paint job! I have to go. I will talk with you later. Keep in touch!

#84 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:30 PM

My Dad has a 939 A ...a 1949 A ...A 1952 B...1955 40...A 1956 70...A 1957 720 Diesel,with pony motor...and a 1958 730 Diesel. plus a lot of attachments and parts. the 1949 A was the first tractor on Dads farm, so its kinda special.....
  • Gabriel said thank you

#85 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:33 PM

yup ..take care chat later !
  • Gabriel said thank you

#86 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:26 PM

My Dad has a 939 A ...a 1949 A ...A 1952 B...1955 40...A 1956 70...A 1957 720 Diesel,with pony motor...and a 1958 730 Diesel. plus a lot of attachments and parts. the 1949 A was the first tractor on Dads farm, so its kinda special.....

I like the look of the JD 720s and 730s. That's neat that you still have the first tractor on your dad's farm! Has your dad always had JDs?

#87 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Oh, I thought you might like this! I made it out of cardboard. I think I modeled it after a CC 1045 or 1046.

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0243.JPG
  • 101_0247.JPG

#88 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I like those tractors cool.

My Granpa first ordered the JD A in the spring of 1947 but because of WWII there was a steel shortage so they had to wait till late spring of 1949 to take possession of the tractor. My Dads first tractor was a super MD Farmal he was red till 1965 then bought a 4020 diesel the rest as they say is history. How about you , always Massy in your sheds ? Oh by the way how is the lay of the land where you are in Indiana?
  • Gabriel said thank you

#89 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:53 PM

I bet that 8160 Massy of yours is quite a machine too. The cab is whisper quiet I bet, and these newer tractors shift like an automatic. bet its a dream to go to the field with that.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#90 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I bet that 8160 Massy of yours is quite a machine too. The cab is whisper quiet I bet, and these newer tractors shift like an automatic. bet its a dream to go to the field with that.

Yes, I'd like to have one like that myself!  

• Gabriel said thank you