170 replies to this topic

#31 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Those Massy tractors were well built machines.  Thanks for the pics.

Your welcome. I am looking forward to pictures of yours! I have worked on a Cub Cadet LT1042.

#32 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:26 PM

this is my collection now.     A 1964 MODEL 70 A 1967 model 123 cubs first hydo...1983   782...1986   1812

Attached Thumbnails

• cc 70 with decals (Small) (Custom).jpg
  • winter 2008 035 (Small) (Custom).jpg
  • 123 side 2 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
  • 123 side 2 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
  • winter 2008 067 (Custom).jpg
  • winter 2008 036 (Custom).jpg
  • winter 2008 041 (Custom).jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#33 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:36 PM

This is my collection now I have owned 30-40 tractors over the last 15 years, plus I own several
Brinly, IH , and Ohio Steel attachments too. You have to have something to pull. I would really like to find a crude but cute Panzer, Gilson or other rare tractor some day. the 70 and 123 were total restorations. Every bolt and part came off right down to the frame. the 123 took 4 years and the 70 took 2 to complete. but it was a labor of love.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#34 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 03:21 PM

This is my collection now I have owned 30-40 tractors over the last 15 years, plus I own several
Brinly, IH , and Ohio Steel attachments too. You have to have something to pull. I would really like to find a crude but cute Panzer, Gilson or other rare tractor some day. the 70 and 123 were total restorations. Every bolt and part came off right down to the frame. the 123 took 4 years and the 70 took 2 to complete. but it was a labor of love.

Nice group of Cubs!!!!! I agree, you have to have something to pull. were any of them in your family?

Edited by Gabriel, February 21, 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#35 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nope    

My duration was the little 70 bought it from a guy who was going to scrap bought it for. 25 dollars it ran but smoked like a steam engine.  The rest is history . As they say.    What started you garden tractor itch ?

• Gabriel said thank you

#36 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Nope    

My duration was the little 70 bought it from a guy who was going to scrap bought it for. 25 dollars it ran but smoked like a steam engine.  The rest is history . As they say.    What started you garden tractor itch ?

Well, I guess growing up around tractors is what started it. I first started driving our JD LT155 lawn tractor.  Since it was green(my favorite color is red), I wanted a red tractor. We still had the Huskee lawn tractor that the JD replaced, so my dad brought it home from the farm. It still ran and mowed, so I used it to mow for the rest of the season. That winter, my dad and I rebuilt the engine and did a few other things to the tractor. We used it for a few years, along with the JD. We replaced it with a newer(it had sat on the lot for a few years) Huskee LT and used it along side the JD for a while. This Huskee was a hydro and had always been slow. It later developed problems(I think it was never right from when we bought it). We repaired it, but it never operated like it should have. There were some pieces of broken springs that chewed some of the pump and may have messed up the flow of oil(I'm speculating that's the reason). We then bought a new Huskee Supreme LT with gear drive and have used it along side the JD for the past 6 years. I had for a few years a Ranch King garden tractor from the 80's that had a snow thrower. It was later sold when we bought our Massey 165 tractor. I now use this tractor with a 3-pt. blade to move snow. I have wanted for a long time a little MF GT or LT(we've used MF tractors on our farm for 30 years this year). So, this year I bought my first MF GT tractor. I guess since I like tractors, these LT & GTs have always been fun because you can "farm" on a small scale. I got my mechanical start on LTs and that's probably what helped me want to start my business. I like all outdoor power equipment, but my favorite is LTs & GTs. There my favorite to work on too.

Were all of the GTs you've had over the years been Cub Cadet?

Edited by Gabriel, February 21, 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#37 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Here's a picture of the Huskee Supreme.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3866.JPG

#38 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Most of the tractors that I have brought home over the years have been Cub Cadets, Once in a while I find a Deere or 2 I have owned a few RF 110S and a few 140s too . last summer even got an AC 312 running and sold for a buddy of mine. One of the neatest tractor that I have ever worked on was an MF 10 that was a stout little fellow. it had a snow thrower on it . I think you could spend a day at least putting that on. but I bet it was quite a machine in its day.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#39 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:37 AM

In your line of work do you ever see or get to work on anything older?  

• Gabriel said thank you

#40 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:44 PM

In your line of work do you ever see or get to work on anything older?

I did put a new(it was made in 96, but was new in the box)transmission in a late 80s early 90s craftsman. This one is the oldest of any I've worked that weren't my own. The original transmission had some issues, so I found this one for a great price and with a little modification to the tractor, it fit fine. The original was a 4 speed and this had 5. It would be fun to work on some older ones. Oh, one I work on is a John Deere 175 hydro(I think that's the model, as I've only serviced it one time) and it is probably the same age as the craftsman. I guess I work on 2 older ones, though there not real old. Here's some pictures of the craftsman.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_7335.JPG
  • 100_7339.JPG

Edited by Gabriel, February 22, 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#41 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Most of the tractors that I have brought home over the years have been Cub Cadets, Once in a while I find a Deere or 2 I have owned a few RF 110S and a few 140s too . last summer even got an AC 312 running and sold for a buddy of mine. One of the neatest tractor that I have ever worked on was an MF 10 that was a stout little fellow. it had a snow thrower on it . I think you could spend a day at least putting that on. but I bet it was quite a machine in its day.

That sounds like fun, working on all those different brands. I know with the Ranch King GT I had, it took a while to get the snow thrower on. I do miss that GT at times. The snow thrower was nice. The biggest problem was traction. I could have made some improvements that would have helped.

#42 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:59 PM

I thought you might like this. It's from an International Harvester brochure I have from 1967.

Attached Files

#43 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Meet old brochure.   I could spend hours looking at the old ligature.  My dad has boxes of old sales ligature that he's collected ever since he was a kid.  Really cool to look at.  If nothing else it takes you back to a simpler time.  Thanks for sharing

• Gabriel said thank you

#44 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Have you ever attended a plow day event?

• Gabriel said thank you

#45 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Have you ever attended a plow day event?

Meet old brochure.   I could spend hours looking at the old ligature.  My dad has boxes of old sales ligature that he's collected ever since he was a kid.  Really cool to look at.  If nothing else it takes you back to a simpler time.  Thanks for sharing

Do you mean a garden tractor plow day? No, I never have. From the pictures I've seen of all those different tractors plowing, it looks like fun.

Does your dad have any old brochures on lawn and garden tractors, or any on Massey Ferguson?