#1 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have a 'tiltable' trailer, saw this one listed,which doesn't seem like a rocket science project, wondering who has a similar system in use..?... Mast  and winch seems removable, etc., blah, blah, blah...

elec lft3.jpg

elec lft2.jpg

http://boston.craigs...4320113408.html

Quote:   "...custom trailer is 12V winch controlled with the switch in the center on the rail and can sit/stand on trailer, push a button to tilt and drive off or on, then again to level the trailer..."

• HDWildBill and Genem have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 12:52 PM

When I had the lawncare business, I had a tilt bed trailer and it was a vey useful item. Mine had no mechanical additions. It was simply a gravity tilt once you learned the weight transfer point you could creep a GT up on it and take it over center very gently.

I know there is a company out in SW Iowa that is building Car Haulers with the electric tilt feature..

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Dad built one years ago that had a permanetly mounted old style tall bumper jack [from back when cars actually had bumpers and they were chrome] mounted to both halves.  After pulling the lock pin he would just jack the tilt up.  Cheaper than winch or hydraulics.  It worked very well.  

When he built it, he never thought about a tilt trailer being only good for one item.  The trailer was large enough to haul two garden tractors.  If you have two items to load and pull the first one on the trailer then you can't tilt it to load the second.  Thats where the jack came in - it held the trailer deck tilted until he was done loading.  Then he just put the jack in the down mode and jacked it down.

Wish I had a picture.

The trailer pictured above wouldn't stay tilted on its own without some sort of holding mechanism because there is more "bed" in front of the axle than there is in back.  Regular tilt trailers have more behind the axle so gravity holds them tilted when empty - and unlocked.  With one of those even if you use ramps to load two items they become tail heavy real quick and will not pull straight.  With the one pictured above that wouildn't be a factor.  The trailer pictured above is a very good setup!  :thumbs:

Edited by Gtractor, February 14, 2014 - 06:25 PM.

• Newpaws493 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 01:25 PM

I was wrong, the one I was thinking of is not electric. But this looks like it would work fine!

21436810.jpg

• Newpaws493 and Genem have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I borrowed this trailer from my horse poop source.  The biggest issue I had with it, was that the mast is so tall that the box swings away from the mast when open.  That tend to pull the mast rearward.  If it was mine, I would put a proper pivot point in the base instead of welding it solid, like the manufacturer.  I had to use the winch & tow hitch to pull the mast back into position.

Before: full view.JPG

After:    IMG_0316.JPG

Up:       UP.jpg

Pivot:   IMG_0300.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 14, 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• Alc and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:38 PM

just saw clip of   that orig listed unit working, looks smooth...

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks