17 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Chains, wheel weights and a dozer/snow blade.  Probably good for 6 inches of the white stuff but we had a foot and a half.  I got the tractor to move about 2 feet and it didn't want to back up.  Over and over till I had a path plowed about 20 feet long.  I finally got backed up into where I had it parked and left it there.

oops, should be in the snow removal (or not removal) forum.

Edited by robert_p43, February 13, 2014 - 01:38 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, KennyP, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:40 PM

no pictures :(

• rustyoldjunk and robert_p43 have said thanks

#3 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Oh, ain't it fun. :(  We have about 8"of fluffy powder and no place to put it. Still have the piles from the last storm.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Chains, wheel weights and a dozer/snow blade.  Probably good for 6 inches of the white stuff but we had a foot and a half.  I got the tractor to move about 2 feet and it didn't want to back up.  Over and over till I had a path plowed about 20 feet long.  I finally got backed up into where I had it parked and left it there.

oops, should be in the snow removal (or not removal) forum.

yea, been down that road many times, hopefully you have a snow thrower or somebody with a plow truck ?

I use both right now, snow thrower and plow. Plow for breaking up berms, scraping the driveway, opening ditches and pushing wet nasty slop. Snow thrower for quick clean bulk removal.

I used my fathers SS12 for many years, snow thrower for those were huge and heavy, ended up giving it away, used it as a plow tractor and used a M10D Ariens snow thrower.

Hope this helped ?

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:58 PM

A neighbor up the road came by and cleared behind my wife's car and my Cherokee using a bucket loader on a John Deere.  We have managed to get to her car, pushed most of the snow off the top, making it deeper on the passenger side, and have her shoveled out on her drivers side.  There is quite a bank of snow behind her from that loader, which we need to get down in order to back her car out.  It was so much easier when we were younger and in good health.  It was easier when we had kids at home too.  :thumbs:

• rustyoldjunk and trowel have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:12 PM

I started out with a small LT and a blade. I would not get far when the snow was deep or wet and heavy. I bought a large GT and then a small compact tractor with 4wd. I can plow just about any amount of snow now but for large snow falls nothing beats a blower. That's why I still have a good walk behind for the big storms. It's just easier to get the snow away from the yard/driveway. We have quite a bit on the ground now and some big banks but there is a Noreaster blowing out there right now with snow but it's turning to rain. 2-3" of rain by tomorrow afternoon. That will likely cause some flooding.

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I plowed a foot of snow today with the Sears SS/18 with 3 pairs of wheel weights and chains. I didn't have much trouble at all, and I have a long steep driveway. I hooked up the snowblower from the 68' suburban 12 and trimmed the berms back along the drive. I think with more weight on the rear of your tractor will make a world of difference. These tractors have tons of power if you can get traction.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:30 PM

Robert, If I were a betting man, I would say you were just a little light in the pants with the tractor is all.
Once you get the first pass done, you can take smaller pieces until you find the just right amount.

Sorry you struggled, it isn't fun.
Been there, done that.

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:43 PM

It was a traction problem. When I first moved forward and it only went about 2 feet, I put it in reverse and it sat there and spun.  I leaned back in the seat and got enough traction to back up a foot or so. I need to find a way to add rear weight without spending a lot.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Load the tires with WW fluid! That's about the cheapest way to add weight!

#11 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Affix cinder blocks or work out weights to the rear. My 318 does a good job but I plan on putting a few weights on the 3 pt. 

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Nothing more humbling than being sent back to the shop by a big snow! Been there done that and it's no fun especially if someone is watching! :smilewink:

Sounds like you had the proper setup mother nature just threw way to much snow at you. :thumbs:

• rustyoldjunk, Newpaws493 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Foot and a half is too much you have to get out there every half foot or so with a small plow.  Less often if it's powder.  Even with a plow truck I don't let it get over a foot or it will give me problems.  With a GT you can build ramps by lifting the blade at the end then push it up and over in a heavy winter. 

Also on a Sears I've rigged up a 5-gallon bucket and bolted it to the back hitch plate, a big bolt through the tow ball hole thru the bottom, and a couple 18" metal straps on top, tied in to the sheet metal above the axle.  Fill it with sand can even stack another bucket on top of the first, helps a lot with traction.  Use a lid so it doesn't freeze up

Edited by Oldford, February 14, 2014 - 07:15 AM.

• KennyP, Newpaws493 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#14 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Sorry about no pictures. 

Looks like I need to be better prepared for the next time.  Right now, I wouldn't get into the storage building to find a bucket and can't get around the yard to get the concrete blocks. 

It had started snowing around 8 or 9pm and came down over an inch per hour.  I wasn't staying up to plow every 6 inches or so, I just went to bed.  I didn't expect all that snow anyway, it is unusual here to get that much. In another week or two, you will never guess we had snow here. It goes fast.

• Oldford said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Robert, at least you know what is needed for the next time. I haven't gotten to use my push tractor since I added the extra weight to it. But there is still time left for a good snow here.

• robert_p43 said thank you