• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Whats the best way to make the loops on say,, 3/8"  to 1/2" cable..

I'm thinking ahead of how I am going to make the loops for a Briney hitch set-up that will go on my bolens  1556... I know there are several ways, with a U-bolt and sleave... loop the cable and press a clamp over the 2...  I hpoe you get the idea ..

What I don't like is how you can get BIT,   by the ends of  of the cable.. Those things can be sharp..

Wondering what the EXPERTS,,     do..

Can they be made given the measurements  somewhere ??

What type of ends do I need for a briney set-up. ??  some sort of turn-buckle for adjustments ??

Just  wondering                   Thanks sodi

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:06 PM

I have the same issue with the winch on my Sears, I just use the inner "Flemish" eye to wrap cable around, then run it through 2 u bolts clamps. I slide a piece of sheet metal between the two cables, then cut the cable flush with the last ubolt and kind of grind it smooth so it's not so bad to grab you.

I have also bought the crimp sleeves and just used a large end punch or even crushed sleeve in the vise then cut the ends off.

They also make a crimp type end sleeve you can put on those ends to keep from getting bit and cable from fraying. I used to have to make up tie out dog leads for my Boxer and used these to keep him from getting bit, he would break the store bought ones so I had to custom make heavier ones for him.

I have seen at Harbor Freight the threaded sleeve type clevis, slide cable up in the sleeve then tighten sleeve and it holds it like a compression fitting. Grainger or McMaster Carr probably has better quality ones, these seem the "prettiest"  or cleanest as in looks.

It's easier if you do a quick Google search for  "wire rope end fittings" than me trying to post a bunch of pics, there are many different ways to do it.

you could probably get them made local if you search your area for cable or wire rope suppliers, can't help ya though on that one.

Edited by TAHOE, February 13, 2014 - 12:09 PM.

• olcowhand, sodisr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Cutting the Cable with a Torch helps, Melt the end some without oxygen and it holds the strands together, Sort of a red neck thing but it works.
  • sodisr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:37 PM

If you have a welder, burn the end. That will hold all the little bitey ends together.

• sodisr and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Try what arti and shorty said,wire rope can be a bear to weld because of the high carbon content and some of your better rope is oil impregnated.If it is gavanized weld it out side cus the fumes are really bad on your body.If you don't have a torch or welder get some shrink tubing and a tube of silcone,smear some on the cable and slip the shrink tube over it leaving 1/2-3/4" extra tubing then fill the end with more silcone,Let the silcone set up 1/2 hour then shrink the tubing with a heat gun.

Wipe off what oozes out and no more bloody fingers.Lookes like c--p,but it worked for me---------Bill

• sodisr said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:12 PM

If you used the crimp type clamps, if you used a 2nd one crimped with the cable end just inside the end of it, then you'd not have a thing to worry about.  

• sodisr said thank you