#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I got this drill Christmas 2012 so I've had about 13 months, following is my review of this drill.

Drill seems decently built, about mid weight compared to other battery operated drills.

Being 20V, it has plenty of power and torque for drilling and screw driving. The catch to this drill is the interchangeable heads. There are quite of few different heads that can be swapped out. So far I have the std drill head, impact driver, sander, multi tool, inflator, and just got the new reciprocating head and extra battery.

I found that Black and Decker has an exact same setup ( I think Searsactually bought them out, but lets them still make), I actually try to buy the B&D ones as they seem to be a few $$$ cheaper and fit. Attachments range from $25-40/45

Pros:

Decent power and torque

easy to use

interchangeable heads

All can fit in one carry tool bag

Cost when compared to name brands, decent value for basically multiple tools.

*Inflator is great for a flat tire pumped up when you can't drag out compressor. Takes a bit of time,

but can get tire inflated enough to get to garage.

Cons:

low battery life- maybe got a bad battery and the clip broke that holds it in drill,

new battery lasts a lot longer.

New battery was half the price of drill

It's a Craftsman, quality has suffered in recent years.

Overall, I would recommend if you are in the market for a mid level drill, the multi tools make it

and overall good value and versitile.

http://www.sears.com...120000000296152

http://www.primermag...d-of-multitools

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 09:37 PM

with the dewalts,its cheaper to buy a new drill and battery than buy 2 batts

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 09:43 PM

with the dewalts,its cheaper to buy a new drill and battery than buy 2 batts

Its that way with all of the brands.  I sell Lincoln battery grease guns, and even our cost on a battery was not much below the retail.  The technology has not gone far enough to lower the price.  Especially on Li-Ion. 

Ben W.

• Alc, boyscout862, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Techtronic Industries ( TTI ) actually makes Sears cordless drills along with several other lower end tools that are sold in most box stores like Ryobi, Ridgid, AEG, & some Milwaukee. Even though their considered lower end tools or as in the trade call them homeowners tools they have a good reputation. A few years ago I bought my dad a set of Sears cordless tools & he loves them. I personally wouldn't buy them because most of the cordless tools I have I use everyday & most of these other tools wouldn't hold up. For using around the house or garage these tools by TTI I think would be a good deal for the money.

• Alc, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the review :thumbs:   

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback!  Always great to have first hand reviews. 

I had a homeowner grade Craftsman a few years back, and it gave me good service for nearly 2 years.  Admittedly, my primary use for a drill it nut driving, wire wheel work and drilling steel (usually while on my knees bedise or laying on my back, under a tractor)...the latter two activities take a toll on them fast.  In the end, it's always the batteries that cause me to buy a new drill and that Craftsman was great until the batteries took a crap.  I'm certain it did more work than others like it.

That being said, I received a Milwaukee M18 drill/impact combo kit about 14 months ago, and that thing puts others I have used to shame.  Thinking the impact was too light to use for anything 'Impact-necessary' around the shop, I figured I wouldn't use it.  I think I actually use it more than the drill!  They are compact, have amazing battery life, and will twist your arm off like my 8A corded drill will.  I'm thrilled with them.  The batteries have shown no signs of losing effectiveness.

• boyscout862, TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:02 AM

3 months ago I bought an 18v Skil. So far I'm happy with it.

• TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:12 AM

I buy Ridgid brand now.  Lifetime warranty on tool AND batteries!  You can't beat that!  This is like what I have....drill & impact driver.  My impact was reman, so no lifetime warranty on it or it's battery, but I got 2 lifetime warranted batteries with my drill, so I'm good anyway.  Fill the warranty out & back to them within 90 days & you're set for life....or at least the life of the company.

Ridgid-18V-CompactDrill-and-ImpactDriverCombo.jpg

HERE is info on these tools:

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I would have do agree with some of you, if I used everyday or my lively hood depended on it, I would spend the extra money and go with Dewalt, Makita, or maybe the Rigid brand.

For a home owner who uses this on the weekend though, I think this is a decent drill especially with it's expanding ability with different heads. One motor with different attachments makes it nice to carry one bag and have multiple tools. My wife paid $100 with bag when she got it for me last Christmas, It can be caught on sale for $79, not a bad price for the Joe Schmoe weekend user.

I've only had it a year with random use so I cannot give review on longetivity. Not sure how well it will hold up with constant use of different attachments. I know the inflator runs constant, that's gotta be hard on it. I just used the sawzall head, man, nice and compact and light, much better than that big old corded Makita I've been using. It does a decnt job with drilling and impact driving which are my primary uses.

I was given a Dewalt drill with extra battery as payment for a job I did recently, I must say, it is a work horse and high quality. They paid a min of $150 so I doubt I would buy myself for what I do.

I know you get what you pay for, but for tight wad me, I buy cheap so this Sears is right up my alley! 

Best drill I ever had was a Ryobi 9.2V the my dad bought reconditioned from Big Lots for like $25, man, I beat the snot out of it. It could use the Makita battery, dad had a Makita drill w/extra battery so we always had a charged battery on hand. It finally died from about a 15 foot fall off ladder onto concrete below, but I disgress.

Jus passing on my experience, hope it helps someone.

Edited by TAHOE, February 13, 2014 - 09:35 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Marty, I'm tight too, so normally I couldn't have afforded the Ridgid tools I have.  But I bought them at a factory outlet store in Calhoun, Georgia.  I gave just $90+ for the drill with 2 Lion batteries, and a smart charger with soft case....full warranty, brand new.  The impact, after buying a few other things I truly needed, that got me a huge discount, so I only gave about $5 for the impact with battery/charger & soft case.  Both these tool sets are normally over $150 each.  So I got both for under $100!

• Texas Deere and Horse and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:49 PM

This is a good thread Marty a lot of good feedback. These days we have to do a lot of research at least I do before I take the plunge. Products are going in & out of business over night to the point we don't really know what we have. About three years into my business I had to buy some good tools. I started in 1983 & was using the old green Black & Decker tools. About four or five years later I made one of the largest tool investments I ever made at that time. Porter Cable came out with their 19.2 combo pack with a list price of $695. This included drill, sawzall, two batteries, charger & case. A friend of mine that ran the tool department called me up & said they had a return of this tool by a homeowner that said it was too powerful. They had to sell it as reconditioned & had to be inspected & I got it for $350. I recently retired it to my shop over twenty five years later & still performs well but I have rebuilt the batteries twice. I recently bought the Makita Ion Lithium set. This Makita drill & battery weighs less than the PC battery alone.  For a fifty nine year old with both shoulder joints replaced this is very good. Even with the Makita they have several models & if you don't do your home work you can be disappointed with them too. For an example their turquoise drills are their best but their lower end drills are the white ones. They look the same but lower battery capacity, cheaper gears & plastic housing with a lower impact rating. In my younger days it was PC made in the USA or none. Now days I buy what is rated the best for my work....Makita Cordless, Bosch Jig Saw, Millwaukee Circular Saw, Hitachi Router, Dewalt Miter Saw, the old B&D Professional Drill, Drywall Gun, & Right Angle Grinder that is at least fifteen years old. I have several air guns Senco , Bostitch , & Max. I didn't mean to be so lengthy but I wanted to encourage there is a lot of good tools for you own use from many different companies & it dosen't hurt to do your homework before you buy. Hope this helps someone.

• olcowhand said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, drill, battery