87 replies to this topic

#1 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thought I'd share my latest project with you guys. I notice a Case tiller, and snow/dirt blade for sale on ebay the other day, and to my surprise it was located down here in south Texas, about 250mi. from me. I contacted the seller, and he said they came off his 444, which he said he wanted to sell as well. I said, how much, and he said $300, I then said SOLD! I was able to get the tiller, and blade off ebay for another $300, so I paid $600 total, and he thew in the mower deck, and a rusty Brinly plow, not to mention the tractor was equipped with a 3 point, and hydraulic PTO!! :dancingbanana:

Its going to need some work, as he told me it smoked, and burned oil. The starter/generator was out as well, so I dropped it off at my local starter rebuild shop, and it should be ready today. I think for now, I'm going to try, and fix it up mechanically (including rebuilding the engine), and make it look presentable. Knowing me though, I'll probably start with the engine, and then before I know it, I'll have it stripped down to the frame sandblasting it! :hitting_self_roller:  :bigrofl:  Maybe I'll be able to resist the urge.

I already ordered a set of 9.5-16 AG tires for the rear to replace the 8-16 turfs, and it will get tri-ribs in the front. Anyone looking for good prices on this size of AG tire should really check this place out, as they beat everywhere I looked by almost $75 a tire!http://nebraskatire....olf/lawn-garden  Anyway, here are a few pics. Thanks

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P2090016 (800x600).jpg
  • P2090020 (800x600).jpg
  • P2090022 (800x600).jpg
  • P2090024 (800x600).jpg
  • P2090027 (800x600).jpg
  • P2090028 (800x600).jpg
  • P2100019 (800x600).jpg
  • P2100021 (800x600).jpg
  • P2110019 (800x600).jpg
  • P2110022 (800x600).jpg

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Great score! I always wanted a big wheel case and you got a heck uva deal in that. I hope to see it working in the garden this spring.

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 04:50 PM

They are excellent machines! I am totally in love with my 444. It's similar in setup to yours too. What size snow plow in the front did you get? Heck seeing the weather in TX, you'll need it LOL.

The front tires, I swapped out for golf car tires on mine, 18X8.5x8 and it is nice. I know there are AG style tires for golf cars too. Just an idea.

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:00 PM

I don't know a lot about CASE, but it looks like you picked up a nice one and at a good price with all the attachments.

Thanks for the photos, and good luck with the restore!

#5 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:40 PM

That is AWESOME!!  Thought I had GT envy when I first got on this site..but now!!  Have always wanted one of those.  Thanks for sharing and have FUN!!

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have a 444 with a decent running K321... might repower it with a small diesel. If I do, the engine will be available for sale.

Smitty

#7 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Great score! I always wanted a big wheel case and you got a heck uva deal in that. I hope to see it working in the garden this spring.

Thanks, and actually we're already gardening, and have been all through winter, as we generally don't get freezing temps this far south. 

They are excellent machines! I am totally in love with my 444. It's similar in setup to yours too. What size snow plow in the front did you get? Heck seeing the weather in TX, you'll need it LOL.

The front tires, I swapped out for golf car tires on mine, 18X8.5x8 and it is nice. I know there are AG style tires for golf cars too. Just an idea.

Thanks, and I really like my 222, so I'm sure I'll love this 444. The snow plow is a 54", and I'm at the very bottom of Texas, so we don't get snow. Actually, it snowed here 7 years ago, and that was the first time in 110 years! We did have a day last week that got below freezing for a little while, and it did hurt our winter garden, but not to bad. I'm hoping the blade might be able to push some dirt.  :D

I'm going to use tri-rib tires on the front, as I like how easy they steer, and I like the look. :thumbs:

I don't know a lot about CASE, but it looks like you picked up a nice one and at a good price with all the attachments.

Thanks, and I feel like I got a great deal as well. Its just one of those time when contacting the seller on ebay really paid off. :thumbs:

That is AWESOME!!  Thought I had GT envy when I first got on this site..but now!!  Have always wanted one of those.  Thanks for sharing and have FUN!!

Thanks, and I plan on having lots of fun with this one! :D

I have a 444 with a decent running K321... might repower it with a small diesel. If I do, the engine will be available for sale.

Smitty

Thanks. I plan on rebuilding this engine, but won't know for sure till I open it up, and make sure it hasn't already been bored out to the limit. Thanks

Matt

#8 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Nice tractor you have the old style blade you can do dirt work with it better at levelling piles than grading. With your 3pt a good back blade better for grading. One thing with over the axle don't need adapter plate. Let me know if you find a easy way to hook up the blade by yourself  it's a lot heavier than new style bracket I usually have one of my boys help getting it on. You need to watch the lifting bar when your hooking it up it can flip that little rod over then you have to disconnect the blade to flip it right. 

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Neat, looks pretty good shape for the $$. Lots of options with that one. Always wanted to try a big wheel case. Have had smaller ones. There's couple good Case forums on web to join for help and parts.  That "Noose" on the back has to GO!, Ha!  Doesn't that have a bypass so won't bind when not hooked up?  Not sure, but would think so. But, I use similar on my old MM big tractor, as it does NOT have a bypass with antique system they had. Just makes a safe situation I guess if someone pulls the lever. Suprised you found ags in that size. Lots of people want the turfs like yours if they are good enough to sell? Also harder to find those. Power King guys use same size. 

#10 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Nice find, I've always wanted a 444

#11 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Nice tractor you have the old style blade you can do dirt work with it better at levelling piles than grading. With your 3pt a good back blade better for grading. One thing with over the axle don't need adapter plate. Let me know if you find a easy way to hook up the blade by yourself  it's a lot heavier than new style bracket I usually have one of my boys help getting it on. You need to watch the lifting bar when your hooking it up it can flip that little rod over then you have to disconnect the blade to flip it right. 

Thanks, and your right, its a heavy blade, but like you I'll just grab one of my sons to help!  :D   Thanks for the tip on the lifting arm. If you hadn't told me, I'm sure I would have put it on upside down, still might!  :rolling:

Neat, looks pretty good shape for the $$. Lots of options with that one. Always wanted to try a big wheel case. Have had smaller ones. There's couple good Case forums on web to join for help and parts.  That "Noose" on the back has to GO!, Ha!  Doesn't that have a bypass so won't bind when not hooked up?  Not sure, but would think so. But, I use similar on my old MM big tractor, as it does NOT have a bypass with antique system they had. Just makes a safe situation I guess if someone pulls the lever. Suprised you found ags in that size. Lots of people want the turfs like yours if they are good enough to sell? Also harder to find those. Power King guys use same size. 

Thank you Sir. This is my first big wheel Case, and really looking forward to getting it going. 

What, you don't like my noose?  :bigrofl:  This doesn't have quick connects on it (although I could add some), so if I leave the hose off, those fittings are wide open, and I'm not sure about the by-pass.  The Ag tires weren't hard to find, and the ones I'm installing are the 9.5-16's rather than the OE 8-16's. They will be a couple inches taller, and a little wider. I've already talked to other Case owners using this size, so I know they'll fit, but there won't be much room left in the wheel well. Since this is the biggest GT that I currently have, I'm going to make it look as big as I can! :rolling:

Although the rear tires do still hold air, and have lots of tread, they are very weather checked, and I know I wouldn't want them on anything of mine.

Nice find, I've always wanted a 444

Thanks. I've wanted to own a large wheel GT for awhile, and was looking for a Wheel Horse GT-14, but I got a Case 222 awhile back from a good friend, and I really liked it. So, when opportunity knocked with this 444, I jumped on it. :thumbs:

Matt 

Edited by bowtiebutler956, February 12, 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#12 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 129 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Some guys have all the luck.  That was a good deal for that package.  The 3 point & tiller are worth the price.

Skip

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:34 AM

What a deal !!   I can't get over what some of you memebers buy tractors for , here's a Case 446 by me WITHOUT AN ENGINE for $800 !!!!

http://allentown.cra...4291934196.html

#14 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:48 AM

What a deal !!   I can't get over what some of you memebers buy tractors for , here's a Case 446 by me WITHOUT AN ENGINE for $800 !!!!

http://allentown.cra...4291934196.html

I paid $350 for my '79 444 in pretty much the exact same condition as that one.  Excellent condition, just no engine.  Mine came with the 54" front blade and rebuilt 48" mower deck.  No 3pt though, I had to build that.

• Alc and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#15 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:53 AM

That's a heck of a deal!! Congrats on a great find! Rather be lucky than good any day!