• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Pretty clean and solid RJ58. Trans numbers show it as a '59. Original RJ58 serial tag intact. Nice steering wheel, throttle control, lift cable, hitch and belt guards. Gas tank leaks a bit - not sure from where. I have another tank to go with it. K91 has compression. I've never seen it run. All tires are in good shape and hold air. Front rims are a little crusty. $700 There's wiggle room there, so feel free to make an offer.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 00X0X_34hco32U8MB_600x450.jpg
  • 00I0I_2FOFdMOiQCd_600x450.jpg

#2 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:45 AM

What is the location of said Wheel Horse?

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Same question

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 12:31 PM

http://providence.cr...4329233082.html

I would say this is the one :D it is in CT

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#5 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Rocky Hill, CT 06067

Thanks

#6 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Sold

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes this model so valuable? We sure would like to get this type of pricing on our bush hogs! Congrats to the buyer and seller!

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:22 PM

I am curious too are they rare or popular? I almost bought one that was in alot rougher shape but restorable and ran now i am kinda kicking myself cause i could have had really cheap. I am no expert on early wheelhorse models are certain ones more uncommon?

#9 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:15 PM

I certainly wont claim to be an expert, but heres what I can tell you based on my intermediate knowledge. 1955-1957 RJ's are the RJ35 models and are easily identified by their belt drive setup - no transmission in the traditional sense. These are the most valuable, with the '55's being the rarest of the bunch. I have 4 RJ35's one of which is a very early '55. 1958-1959 was the RJ58 and these visually appear identical with the exception of a traditional style three speed trans. - shifter between your legs. Then the 1960-1961 model was named the Suburbans. These are identical to the RJ58 with the transmission, but are easily identified by rolled lines in the hood. RJ's have smooth hoods. The 1960 has lever style throttle and choke controls while the 1961 has plunger style controls. The Suburbans are probably the least desirable of the bunch (but they are still desirable in the grand scheme of things) and had much higher production numbers than the RJ's. 

In late 1958 and 1959 they psudo nick-named the RJ's model as the RJ59, yet to the best of my knowledge, there has not been any formal documentation of the RJ59 designation nor RJ59 identification on serial tags etc. Production in '59 supposedly was quite low and the transmissions in 1959 were cast with a "-9" designation.

This particular tractor happened to be a '59. Now, does that command a boatload of money? In my opinion no. But, this tractor did have a lot of the hard to find items, when individually broken down made it a good buy - for $600 - which is what I sold it for. The belt guards are hard to find if missing. Recent sales on eBay vary from $100-150 when available. This one had the original throttle control, which is often long gone, a real nice set of fenders and a toolbox, which was an option, and a great complete set (all 4) of original BFG Silvertown tires. It was very clean as far as rust and also had a belly mower belt guard as well. I also included a real nice set of BFG Silvertown saw tooth turf tires on WH rims for the rear too.

All in all, I think for someone looking to restore an RJ and looking for a real nice clean candidate, $600 is a pretty damn good deal. Just my $0.02.  

Edited by grnlark, February 13, 2014 - 03:21 PM.

• sacsr, WHdbJD, JakeKuhn and 1 other said thanks

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the write up very useful info. So basicaly the model number goes by years like 501 are from 61 etc.. you bring a good point and i see it to often is that unfortunately are "worth" more parted out on ebay than whole. For being in this hobby i cant and still cant get over the range in prices. I follow the panzer market and see nice restored ones sometimes going for way less than a basket case missing parts one. Again thanks for clearing up the model info and hopefully i can track that one i saw last summer for sale.

#11 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 02:14 PM

The WH numbering convention is pretty cool actually. Most models built in the late 50's and 60's are three numbers and for all intents and purposes follow this rule of thumb: 

The first number is the horsepower. 
The second is either a zero or a five where 0 = manual start and 5 = electric start.
The third number is the last number in the year of manufacture.  

So for example, a 953 = 9hp, electric start, 1953.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that is 4 digits is the 1054, but thats respectively 10hp, electric start, 1954.

Another one that didn't seem to follow the above logic was the 702. Most that I've seen were electric start so one would assume it should have been a 752?

Again, I dont claim to be a WH expert by any means, but thought this info might find itself useful.

• sacsr said thank you

#12 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 02:48 PM

Prior to the RJ35, the first few attempts at the RJ was the RJ25. There are only a handful known - maybe single digits. There was one RJ25 prototype built by the Ponds (founders of WH) which was confirmed at "the big show" by Cecil Pond himself before he died. The hood was fiberglass much like the Seniors.

This past year at "the big show" my brother displayed his reproduction RJ25 prototype. He scratch built everything except the frame, which WAS a very early RJ cable steer frame to start with. He even built the fiberglass hood and one-off steering wheel from scratch. In fact, his entire build process is illustrated in I think 15-20 YouTube videos. His user ID is VinsGN. The only thing he had to work with - outside of one conversation with Cecil - is this early advertisement.  

Attached Thumbnails

• prototype.jpg
  • prototype_ad.jpg

• sacsr, farmerall and twostep have said thanks

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info !

#14 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:08 AM

I attended that show and met matts brother, it is a cool tractor I own a few rjs myself
  • grnlark said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale