13 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Im not sure this is were this belongs. Has anyone ever had experiences with Tarp storage barns. Im gona lose were im storing soon. The best bang for the buck looks like one of these deals. Were I would put it has a wind some times. Just looking for opinions. Im working on some what of a limited budget. I don't have enough money to put up a shed or a barn at this point. I don't want to rent storage sheds. The only other option I have is to rent a barn close, but that would be the last resort. This is one site I found that had some decent looking sheds.

http://www.globalind...ad-barn-garages

• hamman said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:24 PM

the cover lasts 2 to 3 years in a very windy area if you take very good care of of it like I did mine.

Ever look into the steal carports?

• hamman said thank you

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'd get one with a pretty steep roof-line,  I had a cheaper one at one time, fortunately, it had nothing in it when a late winter wet snow came along!  

I'll have to agree with wilberj on the steel carport.  Although not enclosed, it won't cost a lot more & can be enclosed over time.  ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, February 11, 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Depending on the amount of snow you get in the winter they are good. I've had two of them. One is still up and the other is being readied for a complete new roof and siding job in the spring. I would go for one that has a rounded roof vs the peaked type. Snow would likely roll of the rounded roof better. Very important, make sure you use the hold downs for wind. If you don't you will loose it to the wind.   I have to go and knock the snow off of ours every once in a while. I bought both of ours several years ago and as wilberj said the covers last about 2 years.   Good Luck.      Roger.

#5 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:44 PM

the cover lasts 2 to 3 years in a very windy area if you take very good care of of it like I did mine.

Ever look into the steal carports?

Ya those carports are pretty cheap,,, 8 or 9 hundy around here and they put them up!

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Like this............

2012-10-07180228.jpg

2012-11-04103333.jpg

2012-11-04103411.jpg

2012-11-04133838.jpg

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:31 PM

You can get a 40x8x8 foot shipping container for around $1500 or an outdated Semi Trailer for a couple hundred bucks and knock the wheels off.Or even an old Box truck with roll up door.

You being fairly close to some of the biggest shipping harbors in the Great lakes you should be able to get a nice shipping container very reasonable.Those tarp storage barns are nice but they won't last as long as a metal or wood structure.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:33 PM

We bout a used car port for half the price as new works great for putting a trailer under

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:13 PM

I'm using a shelter frame with a plain tarp over it. The guy gave it to me because the new cover from the manufacturer was almost as expensive as an entire new shelter. This frame is a little rotted. I clean the snow off every 5 inches. I added several tie down ropes over the tarp because the wind tears the tarp when lifting it. Good Luck, Rick

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I'd get one with a pretty steep roof-line,  I had a cheaper one at one time, fortunately, it had nothing in it when a late winter wet snow came along!  

I'll have to agree with wilberj on the steel carport.  Although not enclosed, it won't cost a lot more & can be enclosed over time.  ~~  Lowell

He could get a one with one end and both sides enclosed for a good price if he shops around a little.  Cost more but they last so much longer.

Shipping containers are not bad prices wise to...

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 06:54 AM

i would not be spending $700 bucks on an over grown tent, have you considered a sea can. they are water proof, mouse proof and insulated. they hold their value so once you have the barn you want sell it, probably for what you paid for it or more, i have seen guys buy the big one (48 feet) an put 2 garage doors on the sides and leave the one on the end allowing great accessibility

• sacsr said thank you

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 07:32 AM

I have one its been up for about four years  went thru hurricane sandy and held up

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I had a rounded roof off style, covering lasted maybe 3 yrs, did okay in the winds, but mine was up against a garage also.

I went to HB and bought another oversized tarp when it needed recovered. I jsut draped it oer th top of the other as the sides of it were still good and the new tarp didn't do down sides far eough. Last time around, I got lucky and scored some 2'x 10' roofing tin, enough that I was able to cover the entire structure so now it all metal roof/sides...keeps my camper and a couple tractors dry.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I had great luck with mine till a tree fell on it.

WHen it snowed I would just go out a couple of times and knock the snow off it