• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I found a 42" blade that I could easily adapt to the front of my Ford YT16H. Right now my tractor has a problem that I hope is a slipping belt. If the problem was fixed and all else was good with the Ford would it hold up if I pushed snow with it? Sould I cut the blade down to maybe 36 "? Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Dont know what hydro you have but my WH is a hydro and I push snow, dirt, and anything else that gets in the way with it.  Im guessing the hydro used in the WH is more suited to heavy pushing and pulling though.  You need a wide enough blade to cover your tracks when the blade is angled and/or steer wheels turned sharp.

Even the notoriously "weak" (sarcasim) Tuff-Torque K46 will handle light snow with a blade, and Im sure your machine had a blade as an optional attachment.  Gettin preped for the nasty one headed your way are you?

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:50 PM

These had a optional snow blade so I don't see why it wouldn't handle it. I would definitely check out the drive belt. May be time for a new one.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Take it easy on the machine and there should be no problem. You may want a set of chains on it. In a pinch,you can get an old set of compact car chains and cut them down. As a last resort, rope can be wrapped around the rear tires on a 3" - 4" spacing. Be carefull. There is a big learning curve on snow plowing so, be patient. I've been plowing for 30+ years and I still learn new tricks. Good Luck, Rick

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:51 PM

I would like to see a how-to on pushing snow. Know of a good one anywhere? Thanks.

#6 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Check out youtube, lots of snow plowing vids

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Did some Googling, and it appears that the YT16H has the Eaton 850 hydro.

That should give you a place to start looking for info on it.

Also, this brochure shows some of the attachments available, one of which is a front mounted blade.

I have to assume that the folks the made it thought it was capable of plowing snow  :D :D :D

http://gardentractor...16-attachments/

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 07:27 AM

I found a 42" blade that I could easily adapt to the front of my Ford YT16H. Right now my tractor has a problem that I hope is a slipping belt. If the problem was fixed and all else was good with the Ford would it hold up if I pushed snow with it? Sould I cut the blade down to maybe 36 "? Thanks

If you cut the blade make sure it's wider than the wheels when angled or you can get stuck driving over your own plow banks when turning.  I wouldn't cut a 42" blade unless there's clearance issues in the dooryard