• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrynay OFFLINE  

Jerrynay
  • Member No: 52821
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on which might be a better buy. There is an old guy down the street that fixes up old snowblowers and sells them. I'm not sure what the models of either are but one is a fairly big JD maybe a 28" - 30" auger and a slightly smaller Honda maybe 24" auger with tracks. I'm wondering which might be more reliable or easier to work on if there are any problems in the future? I know it's probably a tough thing to comment on without specifics but any info would be helpful. I will try and post the models once I get a bit more info from the seller. Thanks in advance.
  • oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,745 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Here is an interesting ad for a Honda: http://gardentractor...wer#entry403417

By the way, I don't think the ad is real. I think it's meant as a joke.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Honda,

724 is a little small for me but the Honda engine and track drive makes up for it.

Track drive is great after working all day and coming home tired and sore, complicated set up but i love using it until it starts throwing tracks in a snowstorm but the engine makes up for it, is great quality, always starts and runs, last long time with care, parts are expensive but well worth it, avaliable and lasts.

If the engine won't run it sucks to drag it thought the snow and ice back to the shed, my Cub Cadet taught me that.

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Jerrynay OFFLINE  

Jerrynay
  • Member No: 52821
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:45 PM

That's a pretty good one, thanks. Funny enough that looks pretty identical to the one I'm looking at.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 03:06 AM

I have a JD 826 thats about 20years old and has never given me any problems.I change the oil and spark plug once a year and I keep a spare belt on hand.What I don't like about it is the handles and problems with their some what crummy safety switchs.
Also have a small Honda hs621 paddle blower for the light snows,and no problems with that,but the dealer will rip your eyes out for REAL Honda replacement paddles.But I only use it for 2" or less powder.
Both have been good to me.But when the snow really hits the fan I fire up the Bolens gt and sit down to do the job.
Never tryed a track drive,looks like it would get plenty of traction tho.
I will add that the little Honda engine runs so sweet and queit.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 07:05 AM

The Hondas are good machines but really expensive to buy new. I think they have hydrostatic drive to the wheels/track. It's a nice system but if it has a problem it's not easy to repair. The friction disc setup is just plain easy to keep running. I have a Ariens Pro model it's 28wide and 11.5hp with a cast iron gearbox and a lockable differential on the axle. It's unstoppable in anything I've ever had to deal with. In the end you need HP to do the job. I wouldn't go too small on the HP side because it will take you much longer to do any given job. I have a 300ft. driveway and the reason I have a Heavy duty blower is that I spent 10hrs one time getting it cleared after a huge storm using a 5HP machine.    My point is that HP is important. Assuming both machines are properly designed you need to size the motor for the jobs you will be doing and the time you want to spend doing it.

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I have a Yardman 9hp 26" wide dual stage on tracks.

We have had excellent luck with it and I would certainly recommend tracks over tires.

It is much more stable, better traction. It is approx 10 yrs old and we have not had to replace

the drive disc. We have broke a few shar pins but that is due to blowing snow over a limestone drive.

Good luck.

Chuck

#8 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 10:14 AM

My 2 cents. I currently own a Honda 928 on tracks. Prior to this I had a John Deere 726, 1980 vintage.  I am not interested in going back. The Honda blows snow farther and higher. It is hydro and this is a big advantage. You can hold the left lever and operate the forward and reverse lever with the other hand. I have used some of the other machines since owning the Honda and there is no real comparison. The John Deere in the older series had some serious iron in it and is close to indestuctable. I had a 10 horse on it at the end and it would eat the plowed up snow like crazy. The down side is that the new John Deere is not built as well as the older machines. The extent of this is shown to me by my local John Deere dealer as there are Ariens blowers on the showroom floor and not one John Deere walk behind snowblower. When asked why he told me the quality difference.

The 24" is an excellent size for most people.

Oh yea, you can actually walk a track machine over the snow to blow another area if you want.