• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrynay OFFLINE  

Jerrynay
  • Member No: 52821
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hello, this may be a bit off topic but I guess that's what this forum is for. I have been looking for a vintage McCulloch Go Kart in rough, but running condition to purchase. They seem pretty hard to come by, but I know there has to be something out there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:55 PM

They are hard to come by.  I bought a lot of McCulloch parts one time, I was told that I couldn't have what I wanted (Clinton engine parts) if I didn't buy everything.  It was primarily antique saw parts from what I was told, but that box included a while shebang of kart parts.  So I guess I sold parts for McCulloch for a little while before I sold out the box I had bought and got out of it.  I was surprised at the demand.  One guy I talked with, who seemed to be the McCulloch guru of sorts, told me that McCulloch go kart mills are common, compared to something like a West Bend, but hard to find in good shape. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Jerrynay OFFLINE  

Jerrynay
  • Member No: 52821
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep up my search, one has to pop up sometime or another.

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:17 AM

I didn't know they made go karts.  I knew they made engines.

I have a 1962 Rupp Dart A-Bone cart with dual engine plates.  Currently has 2 6.5HP Predators mounted on it.  Thing freaking rips.  I could never pay the price for a good west bend or mcculloch engines for it.

Not Mine but it looks like this one but with 2 predators instead of 2 nice 2 smokers!

Hemmings-Motor-News-Studebaker-Starlite-

#5 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

I don't think they sold complete carts. In the mid '70's I worked with a guy that had a Margay(spelling?) connection.

He ran enduro races(2hr duration) if I remember correctly) and had 1 and 2 engine carts. He had approx 8-10 McCullough engines that he had ready to go. Unfortunately he liked to lean them out for power, and would  use them up

Most of them have probably been used up/boredout/honed/reringed and trashed by now

Good luck with your pursuit.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, February 11, 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#6 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I've seen them before at auctions but I can't remember how much they sold for.

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

I don't think they sold complete carts. In the mid '70's I worked with a guy that had a Margay(spelling?) connection.

He ran enduro races(2hr duration) if I remember correctly) and had 1 and 2 engine carts. He had approx 8-10 McCullough engines that he had ready to go. Unfortunately he liked to lean them out for power, and would  use them up

Most of them have probably been used up/boredout/honed/reringed and trashed by now

Good luck with your pursuit.

Chuck

They did make complete karts.  I have one that my mother raced as a teen.  It originally had two Mac 94's I believe.  I have the owners manual somewhere.  It only had a single when she raced it.  The engine has been bored .090 over and is just worn out.  I tried to rebuild it once in high school, but the cylinder was tired.  The cart it self is cool, it has the company logo on the pedals.  I have a 5hp Briggs on it, but would love to make the Mac run again.  Sorry, not for sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted