16 replies to this topic

#16 wilberj ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,126 Thanks
  • 5,160 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:49 PM

. Wow you let 3 model p briggs engines that were only $300 slip by huge mistake! A good running model p is easily $1200 all day long

Ya befor I knew anything about them I cant belive a little 1hp briggs brings that much!  The ones I seen never sold and it was the last day of the flea market.     How many were made?   I did some google searching and one had a ser number of 25## something.    

Edited by wilberj, February 12, 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#17 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,530 Thanks
  • 4,183 posts

Posted February 12, 2014 - 08:28 AM

Well I was hopeing for more info I dont know much about pre WW2 briggs and I got a rant instead thanks alot.   I seen 3 for sale at a local flea market guy was asking $300 for all 3 I asked him for info on them and he said there a hard to find pre WW2 briggs modal P.  He said two will run and one was locked up I should of got them and sold them to you....    

Sorry you took that as a rant. It wasn't meant to be. I thought I had explained the variations that made it worth more in the post you quoted. Briggs engines have a following that rivals the Deere collectors and oddball variations command good money. Determining what is real and what is pieced together can be hard.

As for the P, I'd have doubled your money on them. :D  The P doesn't have a serial number listing but I believe they started with number 1101 in 1920. I have seen nnumbers in the 4xxx range. The one I linked to is one of the later ones. It has an oil fill/check fitting in the oil pan. The earlier ones had a sight glass in the pan and the fill was up on the sloped top of the block. The tank bracket with that engine is the style that was used on the DJ. It was the first to use the clutch arrangement that the Gardener used.  The hard parts to find on a P is the flywheel and carb. The fans are being reproduced but they are getting 150.00 for them. The flywheel had a steel hub riveted into the aluminum and they were prone to failure. The carbs weren't the best and when they started using the Tillotson on the PB there was a factory retrofit kit and a lot were swapped out.

• wilberj, LPBolens, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks