16 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I have some questions regarding huski gardeners. This is the info I have found so far. Briggs Br6 production lasted from 34 to 48. Production of the gardener started in 46. After 48 what motor did bolens go with? I maybe missing something.  

Edited by Bob IN, February 10, 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:36 PM

Bolens1000,.....

This is your experties.

Edited by trowel, February 10, 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:40 PM

I know they also put Wisconsin engines on them too. Not sure which years though.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Gardeners used both Briggs and Wisconsin Engines, but having a Briggs and Stratton engine is somewhat of a rarity since they only used them 1 or 2 years from my literature. (Not saying the machine as a whole is rare as I'm sure thousands were produced)

The only Gardeners I see having the Briggs and Stratton are some 1946 Models and the B6A5 (1949) model which appeared to have an option of either Briggs or Wisconsin.

Information becomes more clear after 1949 and all Gardeners from 1950-1956 had Wisconsins in them.

• trowel said thank you

#5 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:08 PM

As most of you probably already know bolens came out with the basic design early on back in the 20's. Essentially the kept the double clutch design all the way up to the end of the Gardner series Bolens 1000 is correct on his dates only the early gardners used the briggs I have one of the last series gardners made at least it was the last model change it has a Wisconsin engine on it. I'm hoping to purchase three more this spring one of those has the briggs I will probably keep that one for sure
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:10 PM

As most of you probably already know bolens came out with the basic design early on back in the 20's. Essentially the kept the double clutch design all the way up to the end of the Gardner series Bolens 1000 is correct on his dates only the early gardners used the briggs I have one of the last series gardners made at least it was the last model change it has a Wisconsin engine on it. I'm hoping to purchase three more this spring one of those has the briggs I will probably keep that one for sure

I have also seen the clutch design used on early Bolens  reel mowers.

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#7 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Seriously wasn't aware of that one! Very interesting!

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Seriously wasn't aware of that one! Very interesting!

Not to go off topic, but here's a picture of the one I saw at a show.

Guy thought the engine was worth $1000 alone and refused to sell it :(

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4271.JPG
  • DSCN4274.JPG
  • DSCN4276.JPG

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Guy thought the engine was worth $1000 alone and refused to sell it :(

I don't think the guy was lying to you! A buddy bought a mower (non Bolens) last year with the same engine. He thought it was an FH with the wrong carb. We did more checking and found out it was considered an FHI. It has a special base that won't take the normal FH carb. He's been offered over 1000.

Back to on topic. There was a discussion of the Gardener and the engine variations in a past thread that had a lot of good info. I think its in the Bolens forum somewhere.

• gunstuff1000 said thank you

#10 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 02:01 PM

I don't think the guy was lying to you! A buddy bought a mower (non Bolens) last year with the same engine. He thought it was an FH with the wrong carb. We did more checking and found out it was considered an FHI. It has a special base that won't take the normal FH carb. He's been offered over 1000.

Back to on topic. There was a discussion of the Gardener and the engine variations in a past thread that had a lot of good info. I think its in the Bolens forum somewhere.

. Doug is correct I have recently been looking into get one or more older bolens on steel it sounds like the engines is where the money is at you could take the engine off sell it an scrap the rest of the tractor I need to check with a friend of mine he got a older briggs that looks like that one on the mower at a estate sale for $75 he may have struck gold!!!!

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Ya but why so much for a little engine?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 05:37 PM

Ya but why so much for a little engine?

You know, it's that word you love to hate....rare!  Wait till you find that special somebody and you start to look at diamond rings. I can hear it now, "why so much for a little rock?"  Here's the start to an early Bolens. I can't see the carb but if it has the right one this is almost cheap.  http://www.enginads....t/94687/cat/all

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:17 PM

You know, it's that word you love to hate....rare!  Wait till you find that special somebody and you start to look at diamond rings. I can hear it now, "why so much for a little rock?"  Here's the start to an early Bolens. I can't see the carb but if it has the right one this is almost cheap.  http://www.enginads....t/94687/cat/all

Well I was hopeing for more info I dont know much about pre WW2 briggs and I got a rant instead thanks alot.   I seen 3 for sale at a local flea market guy was asking $300 for all 3 I asked him for info on them and he said there a hard to find pre WW2 briggs modal P.  He said two will run and one was locked up I should of got them and sold them to you....    

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:44 PM

All I know is that's too much $$ for me!

#15 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Well I was hopeing for more info I dont know much about pre WW2 briggs and I got a rant instead thanks alot.   I seen 3 for sale at a local flea market guy was asking $300 for all 3 I asked him for info on them and he said there a hard to find pre WW2 briggs modal P.  He said two will run and one was locked up I should of got them and sold them to you....

. Wow you let 3 model p briggs engines that were only $300 slip by huge mistake! A good running model p is easily $1200 all day long