Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:47 PM

That is so cool. Thank you for sharing. I'd love to see more

#17 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:19 PM

Once again thanks, those comments are truly humbling. I must give credit to Greg Alvey of the http://www.folkartin...-d/1-greg-alvey

website. He's a e-friend Kentucky boy and I'm a west of the Rockies boondoggler, he does a lot of work bringing light to this art. Here's one of my favorites, I don't want to dominate the conversation, I just wanted to add some cool stuff for others to see. Thanks. This is a tribute to 'Popcorn Sutton'.

Attached Thumbnails

• moonshiner 001.jpg

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Just when you think you've seen it all as far as hobby stuff goes, along comes something really interesting and demanding. Thanks for posting this.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:23 PM

I've got to ask, how many bottles met an early demise caused by frustration?
  • trowel said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 09:03 AM

That truly is unique, thanks.

#21 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 01:42 PM

Love the comments. Ooops is not in my vocabulary, it excells past ooops almost immediately. No bottles were ever harmed during the comission of this uh 'habit'. Actually good glass is becoming harder and harder to find these days thanks to plastic. Most old time whimsey bottles were done in liquor or medicine bottles as they were what were handy at the time or lead to the delusion of trying to put unnatural things back into the bottle. There are whimsey bottles from the 17th century mostly from Germany and out there. The idea of sailors building these while at sea is a mistake, try and thread a needle while humping across a plow field in a moving tractor with your boss telling you to get back to work. Back in the 'day' before plactics etc. everything was handmade and everyone knew how to whittle to make or fix stuff. No video games or internet ,boredom made people show off their whittling skills. At that time bottles were a perfect way to keep things so they wouldn't get destroyed, a lot of religious or memory bottles popped up, holding pictures and momentos of loved ones. During the depression and such 'travelers' looking for work would make things to sell or trade for food etc. thus became known as 'tramp art'. Around the 50's the art all but died out, technology took over and 'patience' went out the window. Ships in bottles (SIB) is still fairly popular, what I do not so much, that's why I do it and like doing it and showing it off , it's nothing you'll see being done anywhere else. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• patriot1.jpg