Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 12:13 AM

My house faces south, so, while the front yard clears of snow fairly quickly, the backyard remains an Arctic wasteland through most of winter.

We had a couple heavy snows in December--probably a total of 18-24 inches if not more.  While I got my driveway, and most of the neighbor's done fairly quickly, the backyard was neglected.

So, we've had rain since Friday, and I discovered water leaking into my basement through a window well.  The window well is on the edge of the patio, and also fairly close to my trampoline frame shed.

The snow from the shed had piled up around it during the last couple months, PLUS, since the pitch on my roof is really flat, a lot of snow remained there.  The roof is metal, so when it does come off, a big chunks slides off with a crash, leaving a 2 foot high mound of snow all along the house.

All these were a recipe for disaster.

Numerous thaw/freeze cycles over the last 3 months had left a thick layer of ice under all the snow.  When the rain started melting the ice on the roof and the berms of snow on the ground beneath the roof, the lower layer of ice stopped the water from running off, so, it ran back towards the house instead.

This is a time where I wish I hadn't sold my JD920 with loader... even though it is lever controlled, it's turn radius and power steering are real assets in tight quarters.

Fortunately, I still have my 23 hp wheelbarrow (HT23 with loader)  I was able to scoop up 3 or 4 loads and dump it in the garden area, but shoveled another 8-10 loader bucket fulls by hand. This was wet, slushy snow with large chunks of ice... just the type of workout a grossly overweight 60-year- needs... The pile in the garden was 4 feet high and about 12 feet across--I'm just thankful I did have a tractor or I'd probably still be shoveling snow.

Even so, it took a 5 point turn to maneuver into the area and swing around to go to the garden spot and dump it.

As it turned out, the patio slab had moved away from the foundation, and slightly.  This meant all the water from the snow and ice headed for the house.  I've tried to keep the joints caulked, but earthworms, bless their little slimy souls, have tunneled betweeen the expansion joints in the slab. The melting water found those tunnels and created a raging underground river that could only go where gravity told it to--into my house.

I finally was able to get an automatic pump this morning, and also seal up the cracks and joints to keep the water from seeping in. 

Although the forecast calls for more rain, it cleared up starting about noon today, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, a some pictures of the tractor hard at work...

Snow Removal 4.jpg Snow Removal 5.jpg IMG_20140208_200248_563.jpg

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 10, 2014 - 12:16 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 05:07 AM

Glad you found the water problem and was able to (hopefully) fix it.

I think most people are sick of winter this year!

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Smitty, that sounds like a lot of hard work. I hope it's sorted out and you 've got that leak plugged. In a few weeks it should start to warm up a bit. The days are already getting noticeably longer.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Yes it's a good thing you have a tractor  w/ fel !!   I pushed the snow back pretty far but am thinking on swapping the 6' snow back to the 36" bucket on the PK because the piles are frozen ice chunks now . Are you having above normal snow fall totals this year too ?

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Glad you were able to get the problem resolved. Hope you didn't overdo it.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Smitty, that sounds like a lot of hard work. I hope it's sorted out and you 've got that leak plugged. In a few weeks it should start to warm up a bit. The days are already getting noticeably longer.

Yeah, I"m still feeling the pain, so to speak. And, thankfully, the days are longer-- I only go to work in the dark--until Daylight Savings Time kicks in....

Smitty

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yes it's a good thing you have a tractor  w/ fel !!   I pushed the snow back pretty far but am thinking on swapping the 6' snow back to the 36" bucket on the PK because the piles are frozen ice chunks now . Are you having above normal snow fall totals this year too ?

The two big storms were oversize for us, but we've had almost balmy weather the rest of the year... with the exception of the dreaded inversion--caused by the bowl-like conditions in the Salt Lake Valley.  It's actually colder in Salt Lake on many days at 4,500 ft than in Park City over a 1,000 feet higher!!

smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht23, ht23, front end loader, fel