Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sub Compact Tractors--Share Your Experience, Please!

scut sub-compact

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Yeah, I've noticed a hefty price increase since last summer--some of it may be due to spring coming on and a lot of people buy this time of year, but a lot of the gray market dealers have got out of the business altogether, or are selling only certain makes as franchised dealers.

Smitty

Recently a few involved in the importing end got hauled into court, though it seems they and Yanmar have come to some sort of agreement. I think a few parts suppliers were also thrown into that mix. As I probably said earlier a group of marketers came along and added ROPS structures,English decals and manuals to try to insulate themselves from the liability that the manufacturers were claiming they brought to the public by reselling these machines in the US. All this stuff just makes the cost go up.

#122 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Recently a few involved in the importing end got hauled into court, though it seems they and Yanmar have come to some sort of agreement. I think a few parts suppliers were also thrown into that mix. As I probably said earlier a group of marketers came along and added ROPS structures,English decals and manuals to try to insulate themselves from the liability that the manufacturers were claiming they brought to the public by reselling these machines in the US. All this stuff just makes the cost go up.

Indeed, and so nice of the manufacturer's to be concerned about our safety that they forced the issue of ROPS and PTO guards...it's just so heart-warming... :bs:

Smitty

• trowel said thank you

#123 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Even back in 84 the manufacturers were concerned about ROPS structures, I remember I had to sign off because I didn't buy the ROPS option to release Allis and the dealer.

#124 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 06:40 AM

I've been follow this thread because maybe some day I'll have the extra $$$$ for one too . But just for fun I went to the Kubota site and did the " Build My Kubota "  a B2920 with fel , backhoe and all the goodies will only set me back  $32,634  , so if I start a " tractor fund at $50 a week in 12+ years I'll be able to buy one plus a few more years for inflation   :boo_hoo:    

http://www.kubota.co...mId=915&sId=123

• KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#125 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Now if I scaled back in size and gave up the backhoe a BX2670 with fel and some goodies is a more managable  $23K  lol   Heck at my $50 a week fund I could have one in around 9 years lol  

• KennyP, trowel and twostep have said thanks

#126 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I've seen Deutz engines--the Belarus use a license-built copy IIRC, also the Kramer tractors use them.  The 25 hp models probably have a ton of torque.  Most of them have strokes longer than bore diameter.

I believe the jugs can be removed separately, but am not positive.

Smitty

Yes,..we also call them cylinder barrel, shims used for head clereance,.

As for the stroke, ..yes, long stroke is less rpm, short stroke is higher rpms.

Another example of German built machines with the Deutz engine is the Mor-Bell feller Buncher, can attest to the durability and longivity.

Beat on it all day long and it only grunts, starts good in very cold weather, next to the Lister Petter the Deutz is another of the diesels with a long all season track record.

Beating a dead horse a little but what about parts availability for the Deutz engine alone ? repowering comes to mind.

I have yet to read about the British built tractor, any one out there with one ?

Edited by trowel, February 21, 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#127 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:27 AM

A key item was hit on above, and in my experience with these compacts it is the most important of any, and that is PARTS availability.  Yes there are many choices when it come to buying a machine, but the thing you dont know is who will be around in 5 or 10 yrs still making them.  There are many "new" builders in this market and many of the newbs wont be around in 10 yrs and if your the "fortunate" one who saved 3K on one that stops what good is it to you once there is no support for the brand?  These things are one heck of a lot of coin to be gambling that an "off brand" will have the determination to market in the US once the CUT market gets tight and sales slump.  Hate to go here but my 49 JD M has more parts support than my 84 Allis hands down, and I can probably find more of the specific mounted attachments that were built for either for the 49 JD as there were just so many more built for the more popular brand. 

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#128 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:38 AM

I've been follow this thread because maybe some day I'll have the extra $$$$ for one too . But just for fun I went to the Kubota site and did the " Build My Kubota "  a B2920 with fel , backhoe and all the goodies will only set me back  $32,634  , so if I start a " tractor fund at $50 a week in 12+ years I'll be able to buy one plus a few more years for inflation   :boo_hoo:    

Yeah, they're pricey...that's why I've been looking at grey market tractors. Also, I've noticed that prices on used machines have jumped 20-30% since last summer. Maybe 'cause spring is coming and demand is higher.

Smitty

#129 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Another example of German built machines with the Deutz engine is the Mor-Bell feller Buncher, can attest to the durability and longivity.
Beat on it all day long and it only grunts, starts good in very cold weather, next to the Lister Petter the Deutz is another of the diesels with a long all season track record.
Beating a dead horse a little but what about parts availability for the Deutz engine alone ? repowering comes to mind.

I have yet to read about the British built tractor, any one out there with one ?

I think parts for the Deutz engines are readily available, but very pricey.

Smitty

#130 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:07 PM

Im bettin you could get the price down 10 or 15% off msrp,,,, headed to the dealer yet :smilewink:  thought I saw the dust cloud from ya leaving in such a hurry to get there,,,,, pics of the new machine by morning???? :D

#131 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:46 PM

A key item was hit on above, and in my experience with these compacts it is the most important of any, and that is PARTS availability.  Yes there are many choices when it come to buying a machine, but the thing you dont know is who will be around in 5 or 10 yrs still making them.  There are many "new" builders in this market and many of the newbs wont be around in 10 yrs and if your the "fortunate" one who saved 3K on one that stops what good is it to you once there is no support for the brand?  These things are one heck of a lot of coin to be gambling that an "off brand" will have the determination to market in the US once the CUT market gets tight and sales slump.  Hate to go here but my 49 JD M has more parts support than my 84 Allis hands down, and I can probably find more of the specific mounted attachments that were built for either for the 49 JD as there were just so many more built for the more popular brand. 

That IS the key for me as well.  I'd be interested in one of the FX-series Yanmars, which has a shuttle transmission, but parts are real scarce for them.  Hopefully I'd never need anything major, but Life does happen at times and without warning!!!

Smitty

#132 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 02:52 PM

A couple problems with the Deutz as far as GT or SCUT use is that they are quite tall--most cylinders are vertical and you can get heights exceeding 24". The other problem is that they're very heavy--which no doubt adds to their longevity, but adds major strain on the front end of a GT, esp. if you mount a loader on it.

As for British tractors, the only ones I've seen have been full-sized ag tractors, like the David Browns, the occasional Leyland, and some of the American Brands that are built in Europe.

One thing I noted recently is that the McCormick brand has been separated from CNH (Case-New Holland) and is being built in Great Britain.  They make some compact tractors, but nothing in a SCUT that I could find.

Smitty

• trowel and Cvans have said thanks

#133 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:58 AM

I'd stick with the common "big three" manufacturers! John Deere, Massey Ferguson/Agco and CaseNewHolland have been around a long time and even though they don't actually build these compacts they will offer support and parts way longer than these other off brand companies! Name brand dealer networking, parts and service is much better too! Not to mention resale value......your return on investment with a name brand product will always out yield the off brand. From my experience and view Grey market tractors, kubota, yanmar, mahindra,.....etc are "here today, gone tomorrow" companies! Dealer networking, parts and service look to me to be very questionable!? I personally wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing a product with such uncertainty. Sure other may disagree but just IMO! Luke

Edited by Luke, February 22, 2014 - 02:01 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#134 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:29 AM

This thread has really open up some doors for the compact tractor market in the US.

Right now i am beating my head up against a brick wall trying to find injector sealing washer for the Ford 1200, a trip to Quincy Mass (2 1/2 hr one way) yesterday yeilded nothing more but a 2100 series not a 1200 series, :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

I was pissed,...Boston area is not a nice place to drive around in, determined to make the trip worth it i bought a Allis Chalmers (simplicity 345) rotary snow thrower and some 12 inch wheels for my Simplicity for cheap to make is worth the trip.

The point i am making is what has been brought up multiple times in his thread is parts availability for the grey market tractors, you don't know until parts need replacing.

It looks like creative ingenuity would be needed unless the aftermarket injector i found comes with the washer.

• twostep said thank you

#135 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Trowel, try calling Kahn Tractor in Franklin, CT. They are the Ford Tractor Dealer in my area. They seem to find things for me even when Ford says NLA.

Smitty, what about a Power King? This one is in my area: http://newlondon.cra...4346808177.html

CL >eastern CT >all for sale / wanted >farm & garden - by owner
— — —
reply ✉ ☎reply

x prohibited[?]
Posted:
14 hours ago 1988 power king 1618 with loader and attachments plus cab - $4250 (Putnam)
00r0r_2bmLtpKpSpr_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_5vjRgtnomBl_50x50c.jpg00606_6P3jJwVsL3Z_50x50c.jpg00u0u_fZOgf4mKJEF_50x50c.jpg00909_hmL4RVRacmV_50x50c.jpg00w0w_acvi1TbGUp3_50x50c.jpg00R0R_bTFPM8JizfB_50x50c.jpg00C0C_5dNrKAVmRrf_50x50c.jpg00r0r_2bmLtpKpSpr_50x50c.jpg

1988 power king 1618 loader and attachments factory loader, 60" mower deck , that can be used with loader on. and a factory plow set up that quick pins in place of the bucket with hydraulic angle also has a BRAND NEW old stock in the box until a month ago power king cab with doors on each side and fiberglass roof with windows all around easly removable for summer but makes plowing nice out of the snow and wind. also factory wheel weighs and chains. has a hydraulic 3 point hitch. 18hp 2cyl kohler plenty of power with a 4 speed forward and one reverse gear has new clutch installed at one point in its life have old parts for proof also has split brakes. runs exelent and don't need to sell so don't waste my time with offers price is firm! bring $4250 cash and a trailer and its you'res. plow set up is very rare and handy it has trip springs for snow or u can put the pins in to keep it solid for dirt ice ect. eight six zero 457. 6 two 5 three {C}
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
00Y0Y_5vjRgtnomBl_600x450.jpg

Good Luck, Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by MH81, February 25, 2014 - 07:19 AM.

• trowel and Cvans have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scut, sub-compact