Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sub Compact Tractors--Share Your Experience, Please!

scut sub-compact

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#76 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:54 AM

At one point I did a lot of research into the grey market tractors and in short this is what I found out.

Low hour refurbished tractors should be avoided unless you are familiar with the factory that rebuilt it.

Because these are run in rice fields (water and mud) the front seals and components tend to take the most wear.

There are and where both good and bad importers. Try to learn the history of the tractor.

Iseki, Yanmar, and Mitsubishi all seem to have good reputations but know the parts availability of the tractor your considering.

Don't get in a hurry!

I agree. Some of these models are almost impossible to get parts for. For Yamars, Hoyts site has good information on which models not to buy. The 3 numbered Yanmars were not grey models, but still some of these models are models you should avoid since parts are almost non existent. I am sure I will have issues for some parts of mine down the road. Doing the research is imperative before buying one!

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#77 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 12:36 PM

The B2100 specs out very nicely according to Tractor Data. If the mechanics are good I would think $2500 would be a fair price.
It is at least 15 yrs newer than my Ford.
On the other hand tires can become a big investment. And I would prefer to run the machine a while to see if it pans out before buying tires. Bottom line is, if you do not feel right about this one trust your instincts!!
The hardest part of tractor acquisition is being patient and looking till you find that RIGHT machine you feel good about.

There is a tractor salvage yard about 10 miles from me. They have had a Ford 1710 for over 3 years, with a rebuilt engine for $3500.
I have been watching it since before I bought my 1500.
The big draw back that had me passing on it is the rear tires had fluid iin them and the wheels are rotted out.
Getting it rolling would require new wheels and tires.
  • Alc, sacsr, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#78 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 02:28 PM

Getting it rolling would require new wheels and tires. 

New rims yes but maybe not tires. There are grey market dealers out there that take off the rice paddy tires when the tractors come in. As I recall some sell these reasonable to unload them. I'm not fussy so this would be an option that I would consider. They may look unusual but I doubt you would live long enough to wear the lugs out. 

#79 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I did think of a trick one could use to get a machine rolling long enough to see if it proves out.
The old adage poor folks have poor ways could apply here. My Dad and father-in-law both grew up on farms during the depression and WWII. When there was little money or tires were hard to get.
I have seen both of them take belting and use it as a boot between the tire and tube to keep the tube from pushing out through a dry rot break. And run them for some time. I am sure that was something they had seen their fathers do.
  • Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#80 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Okay, so I'm thinking maybe the B2100 would be worth it ...IF... I find find a FEL at a reasonable price--under $2,000.  I've been looking, but haven't found anything, yet.

But, the thought came to me about checking out the loader off a scrapped skid steer.  I used to work for a place that salvaged construction machinery and they have skid steers out the wazooo.  I might could pick up the arms, cylinders, bucket, etc. cheap...

What do you think of it???

Smitty

#81 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:03 PM

I agree. Some of these models are almost impossible to get parts for. For Yamars, Hoyts site has good information on which models not to buy. The 3 numbered Yanmars were not grey models, but still some of these models are models you should avoid since parts are almost non existent. I am sure I will have issues for some parts of mine down the road. Doing the research is imperative before buying one!

Some of the gray market tractors are "refurbished" in VietNam, where quality control is still an unknown factor.  Basically they take a pile of parts and make tractor out of them without worrying too much about tolerances, torque, or whether the part is even made for the tractor.  There are dealers here that sell these tractors with a zero or low hour reading on the meter and say they're "rebuilt", etc.  By and large the people that have bought them have been sorry.

I've located a couple dealers up in Washington State that I think probably work together.  Cee Tee Tractors, and Coldwater Tractors.  Cee Tee may be a dealer for Coldwater as Coldwater makes a front end loader and a backhoe that they will install on one of the tractors they sell at additional cost.  I think they're both on the up and up as they import directly from Japan.

Hoyes Tractor Parts, Fredericks, and a couple other companies support the grey market Yanmars pretty well, but even Hoyes has a list of models they tell you to avoid, generally because of lack of parts for them.

Since I've solidified the requirements I want in a tractor, I've found that a gray market machine probably won't work for me as I've not found any that have a HST, although the XX10 series Yanmars (1510, 1610, etc.) do have Power Shift. I was looking real hard at getting a YM1510, until I looked close at a couple of pictures of the operator's station.  The gear shift is right in front of you, making it hard to get on and off the tractor.

I've considered buying one of the F-series Yanmars, even though they aren't as durable as the older machines, plus the 3 digit F models have a lot of complex electronics-even for the 3PH, but no service or operator's manuals in English.  Some of them, like the F15 also have some systemic problems with high-dollar failures, though I can't remember what the problem is right now.

Anyway, the wife and I talked over the B2100 Kubota again, but she's real concerned about the high hours (4,300+  --the hour meter is broken) and the serious amount of neglect the tractor has had... Oh well!!

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#82 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:23 AM

Personally I'm getting into this a little deeper than normal but would suggest that the B2100 be put down the list a few notches and you look around some more. That tractor looks to have been well used. 

Just my opinion for what ever that is worth. :say_what: 

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#83 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 12:32 AM

Personally I'm getting into this a little deeper than normal but would suggest that the B2100 be put down the list a few notches and you look around some more. That tractor looks to have been well used. 

Just my opinion for what ever that is worth. :say_what: 

Thanks, Chris. 

That's what we decided to do as well..

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#84 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Would a Case 648 work?  Power steering, foot pedal, hi/lo, 900lbs front lift, decent clearance, tiller, belly mower, bush hog, parts/support available. $3k range w/tiller, maybe $4k for a 6018.  Somebody repowered with a diesel online.  No gen or h2O pump but someone mounted a generator to a CaseGT somewhere online...

Easy to trailer, 1300lbs plus another 4-500 w/ weight box... quick switch weight box to tiller

Landpride makes a post hole digger mounts to the bucket

http://www.landpride...st-hole-diggers

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#85 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Would a Case 648 work? Power steering, foot pedal, hi/lo, 900lbs front lift, decent clearance, tiller, belly mower, bush hog, parts/support available. $3k range w/tiller, maybe $4k for a 6018. Somebody repowered with a diesel online. No gen or h2O pump but someone mounted a generator to a CaseGT somewhere online...
Easy to trailer, 1300lbs plus another 4-500 w/ weight box... quick switch weight box to tiller
Landpride makes a post hole digger mounts to the bucket
http://www.landpride...st-hole-diggers

I looked real hard to find a Case 600 series for almost a year, but Caseclosed seems to have bought the only one in the Western US ;o)

Even then he had to ship it from Wyoming to Montana.

I bought a JD420, and later a Bolens HT23. The Bolens meets most of my criteria, and can be converted to power steering and repowered with a diesel...the only thing it doesn't have is 4wd.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 16, 2014 - 09:20 AM.

• Oldford said thank you

#86 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a front axle or possibly the whole drivetrain out of a four wheel drive super GT into an older one? I've never looked at them closely so this is a total shot in the dark but I know several manufacturers produce 4x4 tractors (that I believe fall in the super GT category) although finding the parts that would be needed may make this a losing battle before it even starts...

#87 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 04:03 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a front axle or possibly the whole drivetrain out of a four wheel drive super GT into an older one? I've never looked at them closely so this is a total shot in the dark but I know several manufacturers produce 4x4 tractors (that I believe fall in the super GT category) although finding the parts that would be needed may make this a losing battle before it even starts...

I thought I had a line on a 4wd ZT mower with power steering, hst & diesel power.  I was going to rotate the hydro or flip the ring gear and turn the seat around, but it didn't pan out.

If I had the running gear from a super GT it might work--mount it to my frame... in fact I have a Bolens 1886 that would make a good donor... just haven't seen anything close to me that wasnt' priced as much as a complete tractor.

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#88 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'd have a look at the Massey GC series tractors. I own two GC series tractors and love them.....it's amazing what these little tractors will do! One of mine (GC2610TLB)has a loader and backhoe and it's a go getting little rig! The other one (GC2300) is just used for mowing. Both. 4wd with Iseki Diesel engines. Haven't found any weak points on them yet to date! Go on tractorhouse.com and you'll find a whole list of used/new tractors under 40 hp. Good luck! Luke
  • Cvans said thank you

#89 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'd have a look at the Massey GC series tractors. I own two GC series tractors and love them.....it's amazing what these little tractors will do! One of mine (GC2610TLB)has a loader and backhoe and it's a go getting little rig! The other one (GC2300) is just used for mowing. Both. 4wd with Iseki Diesel engines. Haven't found any weak points on them yet to date! Go on tractorhouse.com and you'll find a whole list of used/new tractors under 40 hp. Good luck! Luke

Thanks for the info on the Massey's, Luke.  Can you still get good parts support for them from Agco? 

That's one of the problems I've found with many "name brand" tractors that were built in Japan--if they're more than 10 years old, the dealers don't want to support them.  There's a guy here locally that's been trying to sell a M-F205 for 3 months now, but now luck.  Ditto for a Mitubishi, and a Yanmar greymarket machine.

Smitty

#90 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:46 AM

Smitty,
your very welcome! I'd stay away from that series of MF.....heard of guys not being able to get parts for them!? So far my dealer has satisfied my needs with service and parts. Time will tell how Agco treats us for keeping parts available but they seem to be more conscience to helping the consumer/farmer keep older machinery in operation. Luke

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scut, sub-compact